Kieran Trippier

Yorkie

4 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

No chance :) more people play association football on an organised basis - again, the game being the only one played by both genders comes into it - but if you walk into a pub it’s Aussie rule or rugby league on every screen; most sports tops worn by the average punter relate to those sports; a conversation re sport with the average Australian will usually touch one of them.  Football is in a healthy state in Australia, but it’s not close to being the national sport.  

I can't believe more people aren't going for a drink in replica cricket whites.

Even by online football forum standards it's impressive how swiftly it looks to have swung in here from the consensus that these end of season friendlies look mad considering the lack of break our internationals may already get after the injury-ridden season we've just had, to deciding a player is out of touch and unloyal disloyal for agreeing with said consensus. 

But I guess now that he's put in another ropey performance on his return from injury and people are gearing up for a potential wind down/exit we must pick holes in anything he says which will be joyous when it's one of our most influential and vocal players. :lol:

On 16/05/2024 at 00:03, buzz said:

That moment when he just gave up in the first half did feel like a nearing the end moment. Neville 2010 esque.

Aye but also... not match fit.

On 16/05/2024 at 00:39, Lotus said:

Think there are some harsh posts here. He’s been out and hasn’t got his sharpness. He had a lapse or 2 one of which cost us. 
Unless it’s silly money I’d be happy to see him play for us next season. Would think he’s still got 1 good season left in him.
Ideally Tino would show enough in training and matches to play at least half the games. 

I think Tino should start at RB. It should be Trippier coming in. Tino seems to pickup knocks anyway.

6 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I take your point, but it’s a daft friendly.  I never went to NUFC friendlies in the UK and expected a performance tbh - which is why I stopped going to them; they’re glorified training events.  It’s also why I wouldn’t drop any notes on travelling to Melbourne for this one - would rather fly back to the UK and watch a proper match. 

I saw that Spurs are charging for a open training session.  It's purely about money and that's it and that's why people shouldn't go to them nevermind watching football at the MCG will be an awful experience.

Just now, El Prontonise said:

I saw that Spurs are charging for an open training session.  It's purely about money and that's it and that's why people shouldn't go to them nevermind watching football at the MCG will be an awful experience.

That’s ladge, as we used to say when I was young.  Absolutely grasping stuff.

But I agree - people are being suckered out of their hard-earned.  Bollocks to that.  They should use that money and buy tickets to see their local A-League side.   If I have to suffer it, they should too …

50 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I can't believe more people aren't going for a drink in replica cricket whites.

Drinking 20/20 in Twenty20 tops is the way forward 

(though I don’t think 20/20 exists anymore … I’m about three decades away from my last sup of it but can still taste the vomit from it …)

IMG_7670.jpeg.3fd421780bcfdcaa5f6e0566fda25203.jpeg

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Is he going on the tour?

I assumed those going to the Euros won't go.

Euro guys will be joining up I assume bank holiday weekend, like Tuesday 28th. So when season ends, most would get a week away in sun to rest up, and the ones playing in FA Cup will join up with squad later and not feature in first friendly.

So assume from Trips POV, it’s the not getting an actual rest from the world of football he has issue with, if he’s called up.

Edit: Like most guys will be getting a week in Ibiza or something, or playing actual competitive games (FA Cup/UCL) and we’re heading off to other side of world for two absolute stinky games after a long season.

Edited by Sibierski

13 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Drinking 20/20 in Twenty20 tops is the way forward 

(though I don’t think 20/20 exists anymore … I’m about three decades away from my last sup of it but can still taste the vomit from it …)

IMG_7670.jpeg.3fd421780bcfdcaa5f6e0566fda25203.jpeg

Dear God that brinks back horror memories. I haven’t drunk alcohol in a lot of years now, but Mad Dog was a low point [emoji38] vapour trails……..

26 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

Dear God that brinks back horror memories. I haven’t drunk alcohol in a lot of years now, but Mad Dog was a low point [emoji38] vapour trails……..

I’m not sure most of our livers fully functioned by the age of 16 tbh :) 

58 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Is he going on the tour?

I assumed those going to the Euros won't go.

I'd be astounded if Trippier makes the England squad. From an England point of view I really hope he doesn't.

7 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s the most participated in part because both genders play it (which is a positive, not trying to be dismissive) and it is played in every state.

Most of the native Aussies I meet seem to be aware of the PL, but only in the same way that the average British sports fan are aware of the NBA etc.  

that’s odd as that isn’t my experience at all. Pl was really popular with most males I knew when I lived in Sydney for 10 years. Optus sport are currently getting massive viewing figures for PL games and I can’t see that’s in any way comparative to nba in Britain. 

Based on my 10 years living in Australia, I would compare the prem more to the champions league in terms of awareness than the nba. The prem league is more of a side sport to the Aussie sports. The biggest issue stopping more people watching was always the time difference. 

4 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

I'd be astounded if Trippier makes the England squad. From an England point of view I really hope he doesn't.

Ordinarily id agree however Shaw looks like being unfit, James just ruined his chance, Colwill still knackered? He will probably be needed as Chilwells backup(TAA and Walker right side) unless im missing someone obvious?

2 hours ago, Beren said:

I'd sell him if we have enough cover at full back. Haven't read the comments etc. Just think he's not as good as Tino at this point and a bit of a progress stopper. Also takes Gordon off set pieces. Need to recycle any proceeds/wages to other areas of the squad which need attention.

No animosity towards the guy, appreciate what he's done at Newcastle and wish him well.

Going forward players generally shouldn't be finishing their careers with us. There might be one or two exceptions but most players will have a couple of years at the end of their careers where they can play at a lower level but are no longer good enough for the level we want to be at.

Trippier has reached that point. He'd be good backup for Livramento but i'd rather we got someone younger in to fill that role and cash in while we can.

He gets to go with his head held high. He's been one of the clubs most important signings ever.

Yeah Tripps gets in purely because LB options are thin on the ground and he's a known quantity there. Based on form and fitness he shouldn't, but he will 

1 minute ago, Fezzle said:

Ordinarily id agree however Shaw looks like being unfit, James just ruined his chance, Colwill still knackered? He will probably be needed as Chilwells backup(TAA and Walker right side) unless im missing someone obvious?

Gomez :yikes:

I'd take Mitchell.

Just now, Shearergol said:

Gomez :yikes:

I'd take Mitchell.

Awful the only two times i watched him mind. Although one wasRB and other CB

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

Assume you mean Gomez? I agree, can't stand him.

Sorry aye, Mitchell looked good at both LB/LWB every time i watched him. Have a feeling he even chipped in at LCB once too

Just now, Fezzle said:

Sorry aye, Mitchell looked good at both LB/LWB every time i watched him. Have a feeling he even chipped in at LCB once too

Shame Rico Lewis has been injured. He'll probably be pushing for a place next season. 

15 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Why would you be astounded? Southgate loves him. Southgate likes to pick the same players. There are few choices at LB. All Tripps needed to do to get on the plane is prove his fitness imi.

I agree he's not had his best season though.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Why would you be astounded? Southgate loves him. Southgate likes to pick the same players. There are few choices at LB. All Tripps needed to do to get on the plane is prove his fitness imi.

I agree he's not had his best season though.

Well, yes, given who the manager is, astounded is the wrong word.