Kieran Trippier

Yorkie

42 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Up until the howler and the form drop I’d argue with anyone he was within a shout as top 5 RB in football. Then the form drop and subsequent feeling that he’s been strangely aloof and disinterested. I assume I’m looking far too into things. 

I don't think you are looking too far into it. I'm not sure disinterested is the right word though. He looked sick with nerves when he went up for that penalty against Chelsea in the League Cup, rather than not really caring whether it went in or not. I get a sense of distress off him.

Yeah. I know fans often become amateur psychologists with players and their body language and actions. But something has definitely been off with him this season.

I actually thought he came back strong after he had that horror run of games. Then got the longer term injury and looked miles off it when returning. Along with just generally not seeming like such a leader and big character. 

Looking at it from a purely financial stand point it’s probably the best time to sell considering his age.  I’m desperate for him to stay, he’s been the best signing of the takeover imo and he’s got loads to offer this season.  Not just his ability but leadership, easy to forget he was sensational up until his injury/sticky patch.  Also we aren’t stacked with quality at right back 

1 hour ago, Gawalls said:

I saw him in Fine Fare buying a 24 box of Daz washing powder which comes in a  massive cardboard box. He clearly wants it for packing - he’s as good as gone, trust me.

Alternate view, he’s doing extra washing to get rid of the stench of some of those performances at the end of last season 

:bluestar:

On 15/06/2024 at 10:53, mikejaxer said:

Part 2 of the interview, I guess. Now with more Newcastle talk. More of what we already knew though

Enjoyed that. Thank you.
Have to say though I would never have guessed that Pickford and Walker were his best friends in football. I know we only get a glimpse of players’ true character, but he seems like a really steady nice man and they, well, really don’t come across as that.

Also, enjoyed the Bury boys banter but the ‘Are there any singers from Bury?’ comment… shameful overlooking of Elbow/Guy Garvey. 

16 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Enjoyed that. Thank you.
Have to say though I would never have guessed that Pickford and Walker were his best friends in football. I know we only get a glimpse of players’ true character, but he seems like a really steady nice man and they, well, really don’t come across as that.

Also, enjoyed the Bury boys banter but the ‘Are there any singers from Bury?’ comment… shameful overlooking of Elbow/Guy Garvey. 

I've done a complete U-turn on Pickford the last year or so. Think the last visit in particular he relished playing at SJP and enjoyed a bit banter with our fans rather than being caught up in it and letting it get to him. He's also a helluva good goalkeeper.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Thought this lad was quality last night. I feel like it's gonna take very little effort for me to completely u-turn and desperately hope he stays at Newcastle. :lol: Technically he's still a truly brilliant player; just worry about the psychological side/concentration. 

6 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Thought this lad was quality last night. I feel like it's gonna take very little effort for me to completely u-turn and desperately hope he stays at Newcastle. :lol: Technically he's still a truly brilliant player; just worry about the psychological side/concentration. 

He was ironically almost Dan Burn like in that he helped the defence keep its shape, defended well overall (one or two rash decisions aside), but nothing much going forward. :lol:

7 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I've never doubted him. Some of the crack from our fans has been horrendous 😂

Playing on his weaker side, for his national team, in a major championship and "his legs have gone" apparently. 

Clowns man. 

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

He was ironically almost Dan Burn like in that he helped the defence keep its shape, defended well overall (one or two rash decisions aside), but nothing much going forward. :lol:

I get the impression that, for some reason, our players defer to going down the right wing. 

Lost count the number of times I've seen Tripps waving his arms for the ball only to be ignored. 

2 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

I've never doubted him. Some of the crack from our fans has been horrendous 😂

Playing on his weaker side, for his national team, in a major championship and "his legs have gone" apparently. 

Clowns man. 

Was watching Gary Neville's thing with Rooney and the latter (who I do really like) said that Trippier had had a bad season for Newcastle. I took it almost personally. :lol: I mean  it's completely inaccurate too; he was world class until December; had a ropey patch, recovered, and then finished the season with another rick at Old Trafford. 

I thought he had a good game, but he was used very little, to a very noticeable degree, particularly given how high up the pitch he was a lot of the time.

Perhaps he was largely employed to ensure Serbia were forced deep and to free up space for the attacking players. Foden certainly took up a far more central position as a result of Trippier's position.

13 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Was watching Gary Neville's thing with Rooney and the latter (who I do really like) said that Trippier had had a bad season for Newcastle. I took it almost personally. :lol: I mean  it's completely inaccurate too; he was world class until December; had a ropey patch, recovered, and then finished the season with another rick at Old Trafford. 

He had a strange season because as you say for the first portion of it he was scarily good and looked one of the best full backs in Europe. His bad patch was amplified though as his mistakes led directly to goals,  and they were lapses in concentration you wouldn't associate with a player of his experience - in that regard they were inexcusable. 

The comments regarding his season from pundits can probably apply to our season as a whole. That one really rough patch over December is all people seem to cling onto - when for the most part we were pretty bloody good.

Edited by Stuy_O

3 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Enjoyed that. Thank you.

I think part of what makes him interesting is he's lived his life/career on the edge a bit. By his own words, in terms of old friends, old diets etc. It sounds like he could've easily gone down a different path in terms of taking himself seriously re: professionalism etc. But overall he's listened to the right people and made himself top class, which makes him more credible for some people to listen to.

4 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Tbf, if a player on another team had the lowlight reel you could put together for Trippier's season then we'd all probably assume they were bad also.