Sven Botman

The Prophet

1 minute ago, Flip said:

And my point is, we are even further away.

Are you being intentionally blind to the reality of our takeover or something?

FWIW I think it's absolutely disgusting that this is the reality of things, given a year ago we were rightfully one of the laughing stocks of world football, but I cannot see the point of being modest and I thought the same in January. We are the most likely club in world football who any reasonable person would forcast to join the elite within the next few years, not AC Milan.

21 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Why though? The odds are heavily favoured that you would regret the decision in a few years time.

Unless it's just purely for the prestige of wearing an iconic shirt?

I'd much rather live in Italy than in England.

Plus Milan are one of the most successful and prestigious clubs in European football.

23 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Are you being intentionally blind to the reality of our takeover or something?

FWIW I think it's absolutely disgusting that this is the reality of things, given a year ago we were rightfully one of the laughing stocks of world football, but I cannot see the point of being modest and I thought the same in January. We are the most likely club in world football who any reasonable person would forcast to join the elite within the next few years, not AC Milan.

I'm not at all.

I think it's equally disgusting that our fans (or at least on this forum) has for the past 20 years vilifying players for picking money over football no matter the size of project. And now when it's our club that has the finances, we're being offended by players not choosing money over football. In the near future Botman has far more to win by playing for AC Milan than for us. That is the reality. I do hope and do expect us to be within the top 5 clubs in this league in the next five years, but we're not there and a lot of players will turn us down because of that. 

24 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Milan are miles ahead of us, like. Got one of the youngest squads in the league who'll they'll be able to keep ahold of and add too. With Inter being their nearest rivals with the oldest squad in the league there's a good chance Milan could be the dominant team in Italy for the next few years. At the Evey least they'll be challenging for titles and playing Champions League. It's hard to say how long it will be before we can offer players Champions League football never mind competing for trophies. Unless we can offer stupid wages it's pretty understandable if players don't want to be in that first wave of signings. 

:thup: I mean, I do hope that at some point we become more attractive than AC Milan. But we're not there yet. 

Edited by Flip

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I'd much rather live in Italy than in England.

Plus Milan are one of the most successful and prestigious clubs in European football.

Which is obviously fair enough but both of those things become irrelevant, as Man City show us.

Going to Milan is guaranteed CL football from next year, more likely to win trophies in next 5 years, and getting to share your life between a flat in Milan and a house on Lake Garda/Como. 

As much as the PL is obviously stronger that's also a barrier for us because we cannot promise European football or trophies right now.

I think people are overestimating our ability to pull in players like. We're cash rich but still relatively behind in terms of squad/facilities. AC Milan compared to Newcastle are years apart. I wouldn't blame him if he went there played a few years of Champions League/won a few trophies and then came Prem.

40 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Why though? The odds are heavily favoured that you would regret the decision in a few years time.

Unless it's just purely for the prestige of wearing an iconic shirt?

I disagree that the odds are "heavily favoured" in that direction but even if we take that to be true - if I was him, I'd back myself and think I'll have two years playing in one of the most famous leagues, for one of it's most prestigious teams and the Champions League, if I'm as good as I think I am, either I'm achieving my goals at AC Milan or I'll be one of the most sought-after CBs in the world, just as I'm approaching my prime.

I know we're selling a project, but in the FFP age there has to be a leap of faith from anyone who joins at the start of that project. We can't just spend £600m on crap, then go "Oh well, that didn't work, let's spend another £600m and hopefully get it right this time"

Edited by Keegans Export

Flio I'm not even sure why you're bringing money into it. I, along with most others on this forum I would imagine, absolutely hate the state of modern football. Fans of other clubs will rightfully hate us and want us to fail, I would be the same. It's completely shite.

It's not about being offended over Botman not choosing money? Like I've never said anything even close to that? My point is that for a 22 year old prospect like him we're a much better choice if his wish is to join the elite clubs of football. And I think he would regret joining Milan within a few year.

If things go to plan (like they did with Chelsea and Man City) whoever comes in now have been gifted the most straight forward route they could wish for to a dominant club.

I just don't see why would he regret it if he went there over us? He'll possibly win the league, play in CL, have a great lifestyle. Then still only be 25 in a few years and could move to a top PL team if he wants to. The door is hardly going to be shut.

Our project is going to be a hard sell over that. It's likely to be 5 years of gradually pushing towards CL.

Just now, ponsaelius said:

I just don't see why would he regret it if he went there over us? He'll possibly win the league, play in CL, have a great lifestyle. Then still only be 25 in a few years and could move to a top PL team if he wants to. The door is hardly going to be shut.

Our project is going to be a hard sell over that. It's likely to be 5 years of gradually pushing towards CL.

Do you think players in similar circumstances would regret not joining Man City along with Kompany and co?

And I completely disagree with the 2nd part, It will take probably a decade to properly implament the infrastructure of an elite club but we have the capability to buy our way to a top 4 spot. It doesn't have to be gradual, it would be a push next year but we can take huge strides with each window.

If I was a top footballer I'd want to win trophies in as many places as I could and have a great lifestyle. With the shorter term deals now more common that is becoming ever easier while still maximising your earning.

As a neutral the things that would make me choose NUFC over Milan right now would be if I had a guarenteed starting position and more money. 

To be honest they're both clearly good options. It really is an incredible fortune to be a professional footballer.

13 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Flio I'm not even sure why you're bringing money into it. I, along with most others on this forum I would imagine, absolutely hate the state of modern football. Fans of other clubs will rightfully hate us and want us to fail, I would be the same. It's completely shite.

It's not about being offended over Botman not choosing money? Like I've never said anything even close to that? My point is that for a 22 year old prospect like him we're a much better choice if his wish is to join the elite clubs of football. And I think he would regret joining Milan within a few year.

If things go to plan (like they did with Chelsea and Man City) whoever comes in now have been gifted the most straight forward route they could wish for to a dominant club.

It's funny that when it was Chelsea, Man City or PSG it was money. But when it's us, it's a project? 

I'm sorry, but as ponsaelius and plenty have put it, for the near future we're not there. 

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

I’d choose AC Milan over NUFC like if I was a footballer [emoji38]

Any sane footballer would if both clubs offered the exact same amount of money. The fact that the rumour is that Botman is willing to go to Milan over us for less money should be a fucking inspiration in modern day football (if it were to happen).

Just now, ponsaelius said:

If I was a top footballer I'd want to win trophies in as many places as I could and have a great lifestyle. With the shorter term deals now more common that is becoming ever easier while still maximising your earning.

As a neutral the things that would make me choose NUFC over Milan right now would be if I had a guarenteed starting position and more money. 

To be honest they're both clearly good options. It really is an incredible fortune to be a professional footballer.

Aye I get that like, similar to what @The Prophetwas getting at too. 

I do not think there is going to be a major difference, if any, between our financial offers. Currently, Milan is more attractive because it got better city, there is well Maldini, guaranteed starting spot, higher chance of getting a few trophies, can still move to a better club in a few seasons (Barca, Madrid, City or any other major club), which is unlikely for that to happen at NUFC.

I honestly do not mind him going there because I prefer Ndicka.

3 minutes ago, Flip said:

It's funny that when it was Chelsea, Man City or PSG it was money. But when it's us, it's a project? 

I'm sorry, but as ponsaelius and plenty have put it, for the near future we're not there. 

What are you onabout man [emoji38]

We are a project, the biggest and most 'exciting' one in football, the fact I or anyone else might have previously derided Man City or Chelsea for buying the league is completely irrelevant, especially considering I've stated multiple times I completely agree with the distain some other fans have towards us.

I can think the whole thing is completely shite and unfair while also understanding that (if things go to plan, which they have in the past fir other clubs) our project will likely lead to us joining the dominant clubs of football. I don't understand where you are seeing any jarring juxtaposition here?

Man City were able to offer far more money to players than we are at the beginning (relative to overall wage levels at that time). They also had less barriers to breaking the top 4 at that point in terms of competition. They also started from a better position - with players like Kompany, Hart and Zabaleta already bought by the previous ownership.

That's not to say it can't be done and leapfrogging in with a particularly good season. I mean if you extrapolate our form over second half of last season we would have finished top four over a full season. West Ham have not actually been that far off. But I still think there's just as much chance of us being 5th-7th for a good 4-5 years before cracking it. 

Guest HTT II
11 minutes ago, Flip said:

Any sane footballer would if both clubs offered the exact same amount of money. The fact that the rumour is that Botman is willing to go to Milan over us for less money should be a fucking inspiration in modern day football (if it were to happen).

Aye, Milan is such an exciting place to be right now if you’re a footballer, as is Newcastle of course, but they can offer him great living, comparable wages and at least double what he’s on now I assume and of course trophies and CL football. Like you side we are way behind them and off the field we are way behind even the likes of Burnley. That will all change in the coming years obviously and when it does I can see us being a more attractive option than AC Milan. I’d prefer Ake anyway, he’d be ideal for us I feel and maybe more realistic.