More transfer rumours

midds

Guest reefatoon
14 minutes ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

Don't understand this approach.

I get the whole we back Eddie and the team but part of being a supporter or following football in general is to be able to form your own opinion, surely?

True, let’s boo the cunt.

Naa, seriously though, I have full faith in what he is wanting to put together and how he sees the team setting up and playing. If he then thinks a certain player will add to that then I am happy, even though it’s not a “name”.

I think some fans are getting a bit carried away and expecting the world this summer. The owners always said it was a building project, something they would work towards. If that means signing players like Burn, Targett, Pope and potentially Harrison, then yes, that’s fine with me.

We can’t have an opinion on what a player can offer us until he plays games for the club. Players can look poor for one team and be a totally different player at another club.

we wrote off so many of our own players prior to Howe coming in and he has turned a few of them around, so I am sure he can do it with some of the unfashionable names linked.

Edited by reefatoon

Just now, reefatoon said:

True, let’s boo the cunt.

Naa, seriously though, I have full faith in what he is wanting to put together and how he sees the team setting up and playing. If he then thinks a certain player will add to that then I am happy, even though it’s not a “name”.

I think some fans are getting a bit carried away and expecting the world this summer. The owners always said it was a building project, something they would work towards. If that means signing players like Burn, Targett, Pope and potentially Harrison, then yes, that’s fine with me. We can’t have an opinion on someone until we see what they can do for us.

we wrote off so many of our own players prior to Howe coming in and he has turned a few of the around, so I am sure he can do it with some of the unfashionable names linked.

Yeah that's a fair point.

I trust Howe too but my trust is that he gets most decisions right so I won't pull him up or judge him on the decisions he gets wrong.

It wouldn't stop me from forming my own opinion on a player though (provided I've seen enough of them to form an opinion).

I thought Wood was a panic buy and I'd say most fans are split on his impact. Regardless of his individual performances (which I thought were really poor) it's evident he was part a team that collected a lot of points. Question is, does that mean he was a good signing or would we have collected those points with Gayle starting instead?

On Harrison, for 18m I can understand it. Anything north of 20m and I'd rather use the money elsewhere or keep it back until January.

2 hours ago, TRon said:

It was SBR who brought him here, and then Souness came in and declared something along the lines of " You'll not win anything with the likes of Milner and Ambrose in your side".

You obviously weren't on these forums when he was here, Milner used to get pelters from a lot of fans. Everyone remembers differently in hindsight.

Milner was sold under keegan against his wishes. He was told we'd get schweinsteiger as a replacement.

Edited by PlymouthGeordie

If we get Harrison in before the start of the season, it takes a bit pressure off. Still got 6 weeks to sign a striker that'll either overtake Wilson or at least provide better cover, but surely we can at least get Wilson to September without breaking down!

If we're being greedy another central-midfielder would be magic.

9 minutes ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

That's not an opinion and somewhere along the line Howe will sign a dud, all managers do.

If Eddie set us up against Forest with a fully fit Bruno, Joelinton and Wilson on the bench no supporter would be championing "I back Eddie, it's a good line up". We'd all be asking questions.

He said he backs Eddie's judgement. Not only is that sensible but it's smart. 

I'm not quite sure why we are inventing scenarios to bash our manager either. 

To get this back on track; I've said that I don't know a great deal on Harrison other than he's a very decent PL wide player and that it would hardly be the most inspiring signing. However if Ashworth, Howe and Nickson think he is a good signing, that suggests they see something in him. Although I'm quite happy to hear other opinions, of which I'm sure are highly qualified? [emoji38]

I think Harrison would be an excellent signing tbh. Works hard, direct, canny goal return and chance creation record, PL experience. Quite a lot of folk on twitter etc calling it "underwhelming" or "uninspiring" etc but I don't agree, I think he'd be class.

Aye i agree with Pilko, he's just really started to become a really good player as he's maturing, absolutely the perfect age and ability to develop much more.

Nowt wrong with this signing at all, if we sign him of course.

Just now, Pilko said:

I think Harrison would be an excellent signing tbh. Works hard, direct, canny goal return and chance creation record, PL experience. Quite a lot of folk on twitter etc calling it "underwhelming" or "uninspiring" etc but I don't agree, I think he'd be class.

It's a natural reaction when we have been linked with Diaby.

What's positive is that the club don't merely down tools and accept not signing x player for x position. They seem to move on to a solid player who can bridge the gap.

Botman, we turned to Burn

Digne etc, we turned to Targett on loan

Renan Lodi, Targett on a permanent

I'm sure signing Wood was a reaction to not getting their top targets in January too.

5 minutes ago, STM said:

He said he backs Eddie's judgement. Not only is that sensible but it's smart. 

I'm not quite sure why we are inventing scenarios to bash our manager either. 

To get this back on track; I've said that I don't know a great deal on Harrison other than he's a very decent PL wide player and that it would hardly be the most inspiring signing. However if Ashworth, Howe and Nickson think he is a good signing, that suggests they see something in him. Although I'm quite happy to hear other opinions, of which I'm sure are highly qualified? [emoji38]

I was just pointing out that inevitably the "in Howe we trust" approach will run it's course (it does with all managers) so where possible I'd always encourage supporters to form their own opinion.

To be clear, I'm delighted Howe is our manager. He's doing a brilliant job.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I wonder if we'd start Harrison left and ASM right? ASM seems to be more effective on the right from a limited sample size.

Because on paper he just needs to beat his man and get it in the box. On the left he’s desperate to get a wild shot of after cutting inside.

Just now, PlymouthGeordie said:

I was just pointing out that inevitably the "in Howe we trust" approach will run it's course (it does with all managers) so where possible I'd always encourage supporters to form their own opinion.

To be clear, I'm delighted Howe is our manager. He's doing a brilliant job.

Fair enough.

You would also have to admit that we no longer are the cowboy outfit of previous,  where we effectively let one man choose our transfer strategy. There has be a general trust that a collective of Nickson, Howe, Ashworth and the owners, should be enough to get more decisions right than wrong.

On Harrison, worst case scenario is that we end up with a grafter who adds much needed competition to our attacking play. 

Just now, gdm said:

Leeds fans don’t seem particularly bothered about Harrison going. That’s always a ‘red flag’

I haven't looked but I suspect some optimism is based on the fact they have spent 30m on a left sided player this window.

Just now, STM said:

I haven't looked but I suspect some optimism is based on the fact they have spent 30m on a left sided player this window.

Plus just lost there two biggest players, so another one at this point would probably be "meh" at this point :lol:

2 minutes ago, STM said:

Yeah probably right. 

Just now, STM said:

Fair enough.

You would also have to admit that we no longer are the cowboy outfit of previous,  where we effectively let one man choose our transfer strategy. There has be a general trust that a collective of Nickson, Howe, Ashworth and the owners, should be enough to get more decisions right than wrong.

On Harrison, worst case scenario is that we end up with a grafter who adds much needed competition to our attacking play. 

Yeah the improvement in how the club is run is clear and I get why that gives people greater comfort (myself included) when maybe we don't rate a player or think they're overpriced etc.

It goes back to Rafa, he made what appeared to be some strange signings such as Rondon but there was always a purpose or a plan. 

It's like that now, only it's better because the plan is aligned between the manager, head scout, Ashworth and the owners. We haven't had that in such a long time.