More transfer rumours

midds

I think of all the positions where you need to spend the big bucks to get the right quality of player it's at striker. 60m is nothing really if you're talking about someone like Nunez or Abraham who is potentially going to get you 20 goals a season. Those players are the difference in finishing 10th or getting into Europa League.

26 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Just go all out for Tammy Abraham 

Actually a very good shout. One that I’ve totally forgot about.  Spending say 60m on him feels more safe than say 30-35m on someone very young that hasn’t really proved anything but great potential. 

He’s like what? 24-25? Striker for more or less 10 years. 

Edited by Ikon

4 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Actually a very good shout. One that I’ve totally forgot about.  Spending say 60m on him feels more safe than say 30-35m on someone very young that hasn’t really proved anything but great potential. 

He’s like what? 24-25? Striker for more or less 10 years. 

Weren't you the one saying we should go for Pino rather than Raphinha?  ;)

Paqueta, Raphinha, Abraham, Targett and/or Hickey, new CB. Top 8 next season minimum.

Throw in a Phillips/Bissouma and could be even higher.

Goalkeeper & a second CB could be upgraded but I think we could get by with the current ones for another season if we got those 5 or 6 in.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

4 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Paqueta, Raphinha, Abraham, Targett and/or Hickey, new CB. Top 8 next season minimum.

Throw in a Phillips/Bissouma and could be even higher.

Goalkeeper & a second CB could be upgraded but I think we could get by with the current ones for another season if we got those 5 or 6 in.

Would obviously love it, but can’t see us spending the kind of cash needed to get all those at once. You think the club would also purchase some young potential players on top of that too? 

35 minutes ago, Flip said:

Weren't you the one saying we should go for Pino rather than Raphinha?  ;)

Aye mate,it was me and I stand by that :) Mostly because I think for the striker role it has to be someone ready to hit the ground running. The pressure and expectations on a starting main striker is massive compared to a wide flair type of player imo. As a right winger you can get away a little bit more from being slightly on and off.  Say Pino coming in and he’s already much better than our other options for that position.

Raphinha is no doubt a classy player. Better for the very short term too I probably have to admit. Having said that I think he’d cost more than Pino, especially in wages. I also think he might be out of our reach considering what clubs he has been linked with. He has already made the step that Bruno just did, and has proven himself in this league so I’m not sure he’s come. I think the biggest reason I want Pino is that he’s so good already at a very young age, and I think after a season or two he’s going to be as good if not better than Raphinha who is 5-6 years older. I’d take R with open arms like, equally as much?

Edited by Ikon

10 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Hickey would fall under that, would be nice to get 2-3 others.

Could also see that Johnson lad from Forrest joining alongside Hickey. Develop them 2, Anderson and we’ll have some promising youngsters pushing for a starting place.

26 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Absolutely cannot wait for the summer window to open.

Im like a kid waiting for Xmas [emoji38]

Me too, although according to the athletic the budget is in the high 10’s of millions. FFP concerns were cited. 

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Me too, although according to the athletic the budget is in the high 10’s of millions. FFP concerns were cited. 

I thought there was a good article (may have been Swiss Ramble?). Saying we could spend about £200m a season for a while and we’d be ok? Due to Ashley being so tight for so long. 

I may be getting the numbers wrong. But I remember being quite surprised at how much scope we had and to still be complying with FFP. 

I think we’ll get one marquee name, similar to Bruno, but perhaps higher profile. A couple of decent players in the £20m-£30m sort of bracket and then a couple of younger/developmental types.

I suppose they will look at the free agent market, as well. But I don’t think we’re going to spend £150m-£200m and get half a new first team in right away. 

I think it’s a striker as priority, winger/wide forward type who could perhaps cover up top. Then a DM and a CB. Assuming we sign Targett permanently. New starters in those positions would make a world of difference. 

Not even going to attempt to guess on any names. As we’ve been linked with too many, I don’t watch as much European football as I used to and I don’t play FM or FIFA. 

5 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I thought there was a good article (may have been Swiss Ramble?). Saying we could spend about £200m a season for a while and we’d be ok? Due to Ashley being so tight for so long. 

I may be getting the numbers wrong. But I remember being quite surprised at how much scope we had and to still be complying with FFP. 

Yeah, I read the same thing and I think budgets are to be taken with a pinch of salt. That being said, it coming from the athletic makes it noteworthy in my eyes. 

4 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Still got to factor in any new sponsorship/commercial deals into that also, which will be pretty significant. 

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

Still got to factor in any new sponsorship/commercial deals into that also, which will be pretty significant. 

I mean, yes and no. Our owners have come out already and stated not to expect any related sponsorship deals (which is where the inflation occurs).  Let’s just hope they are lying about that :lol.

12 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

But that could be 200mill expansion on expenditure on things covered by FFP as opposed to just transfer fees.

I'd very much doubt t there is an actual figure for fees alone, it's not as if getting in a free transfer but paying 200kpw has no effect on the finances.

2 minutes ago, STM said:

I want us to make the most of players out of contract and on the last year's of their contract. Tielmans to play with Bruno would be outstanding IMO.

Absolutely and more players are already being seen to do that.

The other side of that is we'll lose players to it as well.

Just now, r0cafella said:

I mean, yes and no. Our owners have come out already and stated not to expect any related sponsorship deals (which is where the inflation occurs).  Let’s just hope they are lying about that :lol.

I can't recall them saying anything official about future sponsorship. Just that they were working with the Premier League. 

12 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I think we’ll get one marquee name, similar to Bruno, but perhaps higher profile. A couple of decent players in the £20m-£30m sort of bracket and then a couple of younger/developmental types.

I don't think you can get any decent players for £20-£30 million anymore. We'd pretty much be trading like for like; Almiron, Willock & Wood are all players in that bracket. Obviously there are exceptions in any price band but £20-£30 million buys you bang average players in the main. 

I'd reserve £20-£30 million for exceptional young players where there is also a risk but if it goes our way then they could become great players.

Just now, et tu brute said:

I can't recall them saying anything official about future sponsorship. Just that they were working with the Premier League. 

Was in the big post takeover piece the athletic did. Anyways this summer is pivotal as it’s important we show ourselves to be ambitious and serious about challenging the incumbents. 

16 minutes ago, macphisto said:

I don't think you can get any decent players for £20-£30 million anymore. We'd pretty much be trading like for like; Almiron, Willock & Wood are all players in that bracket. Obviously there are exceptions in any price band but £20-£30 million buys you bang average players in the main. 

I'd reserve £20-£30 million for exceptional young players where there is also a risk but if it goes our way then they could become great players.

Odegaard, Cucurella, Tomiyasu, Cornet, Daka, Bentacur, Kulusevski, Mendy, Eze, Raphina, Thiago, Tsimikas, Walker-Peters have all been signed within the last year or two, were all within the 20-30m bracket and all would improve us. It’s easy to splash mega money on players but a decent scouting setup will go a long way to prevent us blowing money simply for the sake of it. Granted, at some point we’ll have to spend past that bracket on a regular basis simply to keep improving, but I don’t think we have to unless an exceptional deal becomes available, or if we (for example) wanted a ‘guaranteed’ 20 goal striker. 

22 minutes ago, macphisto said:

I’m sure there will be players from Europe and/or in the last year of their contract that we can get and not get ripped off. We have wasted money and over-spent previously But also got some bargains. I don’t think it’s that unrealistic. 

Targett is going to be £15m, supposedly. He’s not far off decent and is far better than what we have had of late. Burn was £12m and is decent, if not spectacular. Trippier was £12m, albeit with different circumstances to most transfers. Bruno was low 30’s plus add ons, wasn’t he?

Depends on your definition, I guess. I originally typed top class and then realised that’s not going to happen for those sort of numbers.