More transfer rumours

midds

1 hour ago, Ikon said:

Spend how much it takes to keep our promise to Bruno and more :) He wouldn’t have come here IF we were signing the likes of Dennis and Broja on loan and so on. Not that I have any clue on what he has been promised. I assume it’s more ambition than this.  But also, step by step as the man himself has said. We need to do well and show signs of progress relatively quickly or players like Bruno won’t be staying. 

I'm sure Bruno would have been told the same as what we have all been told, so folks just need to take a deep breath and chill out.

The man has only just come over in January, and people are already starting to panic that he will be off because we are not showing enough ambition, based on assumptions being made on what players he thinks are good enough and which aren't. My goodness.

As it stands, we're going to spend the vast majority of the season with a guy who scored 2 in 17 for us up top, and he doesn't have much in general play to make up for it. Toney is similar style to Wilson, which makes him a great choice imo. 

7 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

This just isn't accurate.

100% spot on - he was part of the time that helped save us and although didn’t score offered other things to help get the wins and people are too stupid to acknowledge that.

No bullshit rumours. No leaks from the club.   Refreshing!

And for those flapping about lack of progress remember it took Ashley 2 seasons to fuck us up. I’d take 4 seasons of good ownership without pulling up trees if  we become an established high performing club again. 

12 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

As it stands, we're going to spend the vast majority of the season with a guy who scored 2 in 17 for us up top, and he doesn't have much in general play to make up for it. Toney is similar style to Wilson, which makes him a great choice imo. 

Tell me - do you honestly think we would have picked as many points up last season if we played with ten men and dropped wood?

If not then your talking absolute nonsense about wood

Edited by Gawalls

4 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Tell me - do you honestly think we would have picked as many points up last season if we played with ten men and dropped wood?

If not then your telling absolute nonsense about wood

The fact you've had to make the question about playing with 10 men says it all. I want a bit more than just "being a body" from my striker sorry. I know that might be delusional. 

It was said so many times last season, Wood is limited and we overpaid for him.

Wood also played a role in team that was third in the form table after Xmas. He executed important roles in our high press, set pieces routines and gave us an out ball. We do to improve in that area, but I have no idea why some get stuck into him at every opportunity. 

Edited by The Prophet

Just now, Klaus said:

Fwiw i still think Wood will score more goals if we improve our service to him. I don't think he is a complete write off yet.

Aye, don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting him to hit 10+, but I wouldn't be massively suprised to see him improve to the point he's a decent squad option beyond being just a tactical lump up top. Trippier back and a proper RW option cannot hurt.

He looked lethargic and slow to react last season, and hopefully that can be sorted a bit too.

29 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

Toney is similar to a fit Wilson. Makes no sense to spend so much on him while we still need strengthening in other places.

We should either get someone who is clearly better than Wilson so at least it makes sense to bench him, or we should get a youngster with potential who can fill in Wilson’s shoes as he gets injured and can develop by next year into our main striker. (Someone in the profile of Ekitike, Mara etc.)

He's nowhere near as good as a fit Wilson.

5 minutes ago, Klaus said:

Fwiw i still think Wood will score more goals if we improve our service to him. I don't think he is a complete write off yet.

Yes, Wood scoring goals would be a great bonus, and I think he will do that, inevitably this coming season with the team having more possession as our standards of play improve under Howe and with new players.

Wood also does provide other contributions to team-play, as mentioned earlier. 

24 minutes ago, Klaus said:

To be fair, it’s not going to be much of a challenge to beat his total of two last season.

Will be a complete fail if he’s anywhere near the pitch. Another striker is vital this window.

Were being messed around for every player we go in for, don't we all know by now we got Wood because he had a release clause without that we may have got nobody, they almost had to do it and we all know it was a Killer/Sheedy needs must signing not a Cole/Beardsley.

He obviously didn't play well but his replacement at Burnley was a downgrade and people were putting him forward of us. So he evidentally can't be as bad as people make out.

Just not having someone to hit has a bigger impact on the team than whether he played well or not.  When Ferdinand was out QPR played Devon White, a plank, but it allowed the team to continue to play the same way.

I dunno, just not one for getting on players that aren't playing well but trying. Lazy ones and pr1cks yes

Edited by Wolfcastle

Wilson is better than Toney, so if and I know it's a big if, Wilson stays fit, I don't think Toney would be happy sitting on the bench.

We should go for a winger than can also play upfront when Wilson's out or a young up and coming striker with lots of potential.