More transfer rumours

midds

Saying Brentford invites further questions. "Nowhere exciting" is a tacit way of saying "I don't really want to talk to a stranger about my work, thanks very much"

Why should he be expected to conduct every minor social interaction as if some hypothetical Brentford supporter is going to get upset about it once it's posted on the internet?

6 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Saying Brentford invites further questions. "Nowhere exciting" is a tacit way of saying "I don't really want to talk to a stranger about my work, thanks very much"

Why should he be expected to conduct every minor social interaction as if some hypothetical Brentford supporter is going to get upset about it once its posted on the internet?

‘Where’s Brentford?’

‘Near London’

It’s not that difficult. Like I said, could you imagine our fan base if he said that here?

You have to wonder what his answer would be if he was at Man City

Edited by Thomson Mouse

He doesn't need to big himself up or anything, literally just needs to say "I play for Brentford, in the premier league". 

Probably doesn't think the guy interviewing him will have heard of anyone outside of Barcelona, Man U etc and this is his way of pre-empting that in a way that saves face for him, transferring the fact that the guy doesn't know who he is onto the fact that he plays "nowhere exciting"

Kind of ridiculous to me to think downplaying the team you represent in that way is anything close to being humble 

Edited by Barnes23

18 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I'm amazed anybody had an issue with that video. It looks clear to me that after the last incident he is simply trying to avoid unwanted attention and being self deprecating.

How difficult is it to just say Brentford or Premier league or even say Striker and leave it at that :lol:

Edited by gdm

If he says 'for Brentford in the Premier League' it invites more attention and more questions. It bigs himself up (whereas pro footballer could be at literally any level). If I was a top flight footballer I would be doing everything I can to avoid micro-interactions like this when not in a context I'm prepared for it. 

I mean this is a clear case in point. He's given the bloke the time of the day for a quick and polite chat and it's then subsequently been uploaded to the internet and used by people he's never met as a reason to attack his entire character. :lol:

Edited by ponsaelius

He's probably not thought too deeply into it.

Just 'say something to kill this conversation so I can leave'. 

And even if he is taking the piss out of Brentford, that doesn't actually mean anything :lol:

Like you can joke on about the club you play for without it meaning you're ashamed to play for them, or are a bad personality in the dressing room. How the fans choose to take it is up to them.

Just now, Happinesstan said:

There's nothing in his demeanour to suggest he's being anything other than polite. People need to stop making judgments based on 5 second videos.

Exactly, this is the main thing. He comes across as sociable and polite to a complete stranger. It's honestly amazing that it is then used as an attack on his character :lol:

3 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I slag off my employer in a public forum on a daily basis. Thankfully people don't record it and upload it to the internet as a means to attack my personality.

I’ve genuinely never done it and like to think I never will.

I like my job a lot and generally I am very positive about my employer  - but I'd say it is very unhealthy both personally and societally to not talk socially about what is bad about it too.

Regardless - he says absolutely nothing wrong in that video.

Edited by ponsaelius

The main man has spoken.

https://theathletic.com/news/newcastle-transfer-news-ekitike/zIbaqaGSiUsb/

"We really like Hugo as a player, there is no denying that. I won’t hide that fact,” Howe said at Newcastle's pre-season training camp in Saalfelden, Austria. “We tried to sign him in January and again this summer, but it wasn’t to be.

“He has decided to go to PSG, and there are no hard feelings towards the lad. We wish him well. We thought he was a real talent and he could have done a really good job for us. But that’s football, that’s the transfer window.

“They are the teams we are competing against. There is no guarantee you will get your top targets, because if you believe they’re that good then so do other clubs.”

"There’s a risk with every player. There is no guarantee that all of my players will stay fit all season,” Howe said. “I think football, with the intensity you play at and train at, pre-season games. You have to have a squad to cope with all of it, while also recognising who your best players are and trying to get them on the pitch and maximum availability.

“No one has ever doubted Callum’s ability. He is an outstanding striker, and he showed that coming back from a long injury and performing well at the end of the season. I would love him to have an injury-free campaign.

“Chris Wood did very well for the team last year and he is still with us and has trained very well.

“We have others who can fill that role so we are not one dimensional. (Allan) Saint-Maximin has played there, Joelinton too. And also we have the transfer market still as an active thing for us.”

"Yeah, I think we're looking to try and improve the squad, “ Howe replied, when asked if attacking players is now the focus. “We're looking to try and improve our numbers in both areas of the pitch. So, we've signed some defensive players. I always think you sign defensive players, obviously, to try and make your defensive unit stronger. I think we've got real strength and depth now, which maybe we didn't have last year.

“But also a stronger defence and better ball distributors allow you to keep the ball more and helps supply your frontline. So I think that's a double action as well. But certainly when I look at the squad now, the strength and depth we have, I do believe we're in a good place, but I think we need hopefully a couple more just to elevate us to another level.”

I for one think they are doing a quality job, and Ekitike won't be the last player we lose out on. When we are not trying to get freebies like Hendrick and actually going for good, young talented players. We are going to fight it out with champion league teams regularly. We beat Milan for Botman. Some players might prefer going to lower tier clubs who have continental football too. There is nothing wrong with that but I am really happy with how they are ambitiously trying to get the right people in. I'd rather sign nobody than compromise on half-decent upgrades for too much money.

52 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Exactly, this is the main thing. He comes across as sociable and polite to a complete stranger. It's honestly amazing that it is then used as an attack on his character :lol:

It's not that surprising as he was in for a kicking after a separate video had come out a few weeks earlier in which he was saying fuck Brentford to impress some mid woman. That's the context, that's what changes how his actions are seen. I agree I don't think he meant much bad in this video, but you can't ignore the context either.

14 minutes ago, thomas said:

Practically Rafa-esque in his barely concealed plea to the board to get things done. Just needs a "the fans know what the situation is; they're very smart here" to complete the set. #worrying

Wish he called it ‘the cloob’.