Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

While he hasn't set the world on fire, he is possibly the most important signing we made in Jan. If Wilson had stayed fit things would be different, but the difference he made to our team shape against Watford, compared to what we put out against Cambridge, stopped a rot and provided a latform to build upon.

Wlson stays fit we take our time getting in cover, but the decision to move quickly for Wood was inspired.

Prolific he isn't but he has been an essential cog in the wheel alongside our other new signings. If you remember, we tried hard to sign another striker but there just weren't any available do we brought in Wood. He gives the side balance for the way we are having to play.

Wood knows that he will probably be a squad player next season but what were his options. Stay at Burnley and probably get relegated then play in the championship. He's come here, no doubt on much bigger wages, a cut from the transfer fee,playing in front of capacity crowds every week and being a part of a big project.  A no brained and him and his family will be set up for life.

Unlike other big signings, he gives it his all and without him we may not have had the success that we have enjoyed.

If Wood doesn't sign, we lose to Watford, IMO. The draw was disappointing enough, but the performance was encouraging. If we'd lost the mood would have been a lot worse. No way we beat Leeds. Our bonding session then becomes a troubleshooting exercise, and we're fucked. Burn and Bruno rushed into a team low on confidence would have been disastrous.

Edited by Happinesstan

On 19/04/2022 at 04:26, toontownman said:

I'm fine with him being 4th choice next year (3rd if we are really restricted in spending). We need a world class striker in and an exciting young-un ideally.

He seems a good lad. I don't mind him sticking around for another year. That said if someone will pay 15m for him or more, I'd shift.

He is a perfectly acceptable sub striker imo.

2 hours ago, Happinesstan said:

If Wood doesn't sign, we lose to Watford, IMO. The draw was disappointing enough, but the performance was encouraging. If we'd lost the mood would have been a lot worse. No way we beat Leeds. Our bonding session then becomes a troubleshooting exercise, and we're fucked. Burn and Bruno rushed into a team low on confidence would have been disastrous.

This is the way to think.

Yeah but on the flipside we could have signed Weghorst and been in Europe now

While he hasn't set the world on fire, he is possibly the most important signing we made in Jan. If Wilson had stayed fit things would be different, but the difference he made to our team shape against Watford, compared to what we put out against Cambridge, stopped a rot and provided a latform to build upon.

Wlson stays fit we take our time getting in cover, but the decision to move quickly for Wood was inspired.

Not having that at all like. :lol:

Wood has been the least influential January signing I would say, and by some distance. Trippier has brought stealiness, leadership, defensive stealiness and goals. Targett the same on the other side minus the goals. Burn has massively strengthened our weakest area. Bruno has brought our midfield play to a new level. Wood by contrast has made a nuisance of himself up front and battled hard, but we still miss Wilson massively and nobody in their right mind would consider him as a first choice striker going forward.

Considering the fact that Howe has managed to get a tune of unlikely players like Shelvey, Fraser, Kraft, etc. it would have been interesting to see how Dwight Gayle could have done. I appreciate that Wood has contributed to us becoming a much better side since he arrived, but it's been mostly graft and allowing us to play a certain shape. In terms of actual attacking play he's sadly not offered what I would have expected from a 25m forward with proven PL pedigree. He just joins a long list of bang average NUFC forwards we have had to rely on in recent years and it's the very first position we need to upgrade in the summer.

Guest reefatoon
9 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Wood has been the least influential January signing I would say, and by some distance. Trippier has brought stealiness, leadership, defensive stealiness and goals. Targett the same on the other side minus the goals. Burn has massively strengthened our weakest area. Bruno has brought our midfield play to a new level. Wood by contrast has made a nuisance of himself up front and battled hard, but we still miss Wilson massively and nobody in their right mind would consider him as a first choice striker going forward.

Considering the fact that Howe has managed to get a tune of unlikely players like Shelvey, Fraser, Kraft, etc. it would have been interesting to see how Dwight Gayle could have done. I appreciate that Wood has contributed to us becoming a much better side since he arrived, but it's been mostly graft and allowing us to play a certain shape. In terms of actual attacking play he's sadly not offered what I would have expected from a 25m forward with proven PL pedigree. He just joins a long list of bang average NUFC forwards we have had to rely on in recent years and it's the very first position we need to upgrade in the summer.

[emoji38] Aye, it's crazy talk. It's amazing how well we have done while he has been leading the line. Think it's more to do with the rest of the team clicking and performing and not down to what Wood has offered, as he doesn't have any redeeming features at all. He filled a much needed space, but hasn't really done anything to make you think he deserves to keep hold of it. Some signings work, some don't. 

I'd also say that if we were still in the bottom 3 and struggling, and he was playing the exact same way he has been, then a lot of people would have been getting on his back. We have all painted over his displays really with how well the team has been performing.

Edited by reefatoon

52 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Crazy to see people bending over backwards to find something that isn’t there :lol:

crazy to see the same people making the same point about him, over and over and over and over and over and over again.

we all get it, he's not very good. it's not some revolutionary opinion that we need to hear every day.

1 hour ago, ManDoon said:

Gayle would have done exactly the same if not better imo. 

Dunno. I don't think Maxi scores his goal against Watford with Gayle in the middle. Watch the highlights. The balls into Wood are constantly drawing the defence in, this leaves Maxi 1 on 1 to get his goal.

I don't think that trying to be overly positive at the moment is a bad thing. I can acknowledge he isn't what I'd hoped but he's part of a group that has got me loving the club again so can't be arsed to highlight negatives personally.

Though I also appreciate this is forum for discussing football and analysing the squad is part and parcel...so fair dos really, for better or worse.

Bottom line? Getting in a Striker was top priority when Wilson went down. They tried better options, were turned down and paid a higher fee than should have been required by triggering his release clause. Left a relegation rival short and filled a gaping hole. Guy plays hard so I think it was worth the 25M, just to help ensure they stay in the top flight. I'd have him either gone or a 3rd choice squad player next year.

1 hour ago, Unbelievable said:

I agree. I just think the timing was vital. We lose against Watford and Leeds and Trippier has nothing to inspire others with.

Just now, ManDoon said:

Could say the same about Bruno G’s goal though. Gayle’s movement was good imo 

It's not not so much about Wood's movement, more the game-plan to pump balls into him. It forced Watford to focus on the centre and allowed ASM a bit more freedom.

6 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

I agree. I just think the timing was vital. We lose against Watford and Leeds and Trippier has nothing to inspire others with.

Even if we lose vs Watford and Leeds without Wood, which is not a given, there would have been plenty for Trippier et al to inspire others with. Look how comfortable we are with 6 to go. What was required was a drastic change of form, but we weren't up against the wall in terms of timing at that point yet.

20 minutes ago, HUGZ said:

crazy to see the same people making the same point about him, over and over and over and over and over and over again.

we all get it, he's not very good. it's not some revolutionary opinion that we need to hear every day.

Howay man HUGZ, when someone calls Wood our most influential January signing that can to be questioned surely? :lol:

Wood was easily our most important signing in January. The whole team is fundamentally broken if we don't have a striker, regardless of who else we brought in. He was also easily the worst signing in terms of quality. 

I'd put Burn at number two in terms of importance because we had to get Lascelles out of the team. Trippier had a galvanizing effect but clearly wasn't critical to the survival fight and I doubt playing Manquillo would've caused any huge problems had Targett not signed. Bruno is effectively a luxury at this point; the job was basically done before he started holding down a place. 

Wood/any competent striker capable of playing every game was always going to be our most important signing. 

4 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

I didn't say he was the most influential, I said the most important.

Fair enough. I still disagree, unless by your definition either the first player to join or the striker was going to be the most important player to join. If we're talking most important, I'd say Trippier was much more important in terms of place in the squad and as a statement of intent/sign to other players that we are a club on the up.

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Wood was easily our most important signing in January. The whole team is fundamentally broken if we don't have a striker, regardless of who else we brought in. He was also easily the worst signing in terms of quality. 

I'd put Burn at number two in terms of importance because we had to get Lascelles out of the team. Trippier had a galvanizing effect but clearly wasn't critical to the survival fight and I doubt playing Manquillo would've caused any huge problems had Targett not signed. Bruno is effectively a luxury at this point; the job was basically done before he started holding down a place. 

Wood/any competent striker capable of playing every game was always going to be our most important signing. 

What you are saying is striker was (in your opinion) the priority for January. See I disagree. We were defensively all over the place, so to me any of the three defenders brought in were more important at that time and looking back that feeling has only got reinforced. I mean, look at us now even still with a  massively dysfunctional attack. We have no winger with end product and no (fit) striker capable of getting into double figures. I know Wood has done so before, but on the evidence with us so far who would want to rely on him doing it in the future..?

I do agree we needed goals as a priority shortly behind shoring up the defense, but they've mostly come from defenders and midfielders showing that you can get by in the relegation scrap without a formidable striker. What you can't get by with is the likes of Lascelles and Ritchie having to withstand heavy pressure for 90 minutes and being expected not to crack.

James Alcott nicely summarised Wood's importance to the current team a little while back, imo. One of the best things he's done is win flick-ons because it's allowed us to relieve some pressure & start to press up as a team on many occasions (pressing is our most effective open play tactic, imo). Obviously, you'd prefer they actually landed in the stride of a player but we're not exactly risk takers in terms of off the ball runs so it's pretty hard to achieve that. The alternative is the ball coming straight back into dangerous areas which is what would happen with Gayle starting (he definitely doesn't have the legs to play as a lone striker for the majority of matches anymore either) while we're unable to consistently build possession from the back.

But he's evidently not the answer. In fact, even if Wilson were fit, I don't think even he's a good option if we're going to continue to play the same shape. He loses the ball a fair bit but is obviously an excellent finisher. Different story if the plan is to go 4-4-2 though...

Wood's best moment was that weird turn he did to set up a break to set up against Brighton. Weirdly class and deserved an assist [emoji38]