Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

2 hours ago, HUGZ said:

crazy to see the same people making the same point about him, over and over and over and over and over and over again.

we all get it, he's not very good. it's not some revolutionary opinion that we need to hear every day.

Well, clearly not, based on the posts I was actually responding to. Hence why it’s still a discussion point.

Don’t like it? Read a different thread.

Just now, PeepShow4life said:

You must have missed Wood being awful every week then.

Good grief, let's not start this argument. It's been done enough. He isn't ASM or Bruno so you don't like him, i understand that, but saying he's awful just isn't true.

1 minute ago, Mazzy said:

Good grief, let's not start this argument. It's been done enough. He isn't ASM or Bruno so you don't like him, i understand that, but saying he's awful just isn't true.

I like Dubravka, Schar, Burn, Targett, Wilock, Krafth now and Fraser so got no idea what you're on about.

You're the one who tried to turn it into an argument.

Woods played a large part in where we are now. Yes, not the answer to start next season, but let's not go on a witch hunt.

What's the point...Leave it to Howe to decide. Seems a little more qualified than most of us. We'd all probably have ended the season on 6 points.

20 hours ago, Miercoles said:

Do people really want to see ASM starting a game at CF again?

I don't.

If it means Joelinton bagging a brace from the left, I'm all for it. Thinking about his flick that set up the penalty vs Wolves, he might be an effective Firmino type for us. If we get a Salah type on the right wing.

On 23/04/2022 at 16:39, PeepShow4life said:

You must have missed Wood being awful every week then.

Although I agree that Wood is nowhere near PL standard and shouldn't be anywhere near the pitch next season, it was always important to get an actual number 9 for our shape.

Clearly, we weren't able to land a proven PL 9, so we took a punt on Wood. It hasn't worked out, but he seems like a top chap and has fitted in well, so limited harm done. He also wasn't super expensive, so low risk.

We got the results we have with a system that needs a proper 9 and we don't have any other 9s in our squad. If we'd have stuck with Gayle, I don't think things would have worked out as they have, as Gayle can't be a target man and he is proven to be useless in the PL.

I'd say fair play to him for fitting in and that he is currently our least worst option, but agree that he has no part to play once we sign a couple of quality strikers. I also agree that his quality has been terrible, but he's done his job, so - meh.

Also, I don't want to see ASM anywhere near CF. That would be ridiculously easy to defend against by man marking him out of the game. ASM works by running at players with the ball. A proper CF should be comfortable never being allowed to operate in space.

Edited by JumpersForGoalposts

On 26/04/2022 at 14:57, Miercoles said:

Do people really want to see ASM starting a game at CF again?

I don't.

Of course, he's orders of magnitude more effective than Wood in that position. Until Wilson returns, he's our best centre forward.

55 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

You need players to run in behind Liverpool.

100%, this is how we tore Norwich apart. Allan comes deep, collects the ball, drags defenders with him. He's doubled-up on, so it created huge amounts of space for Murphy and Joelinton for ahead of him to allow Bruno/Longstaff to play into.

54 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Someone to add physicality against VVD for example.

I would have thought VVD would have far more trouble trying to keep tabs on ASM than Wood tbh.

2 hours ago, HawK said:

Of course, he's orders of magnitude more effective than Wood in that position. Until Wilson returns, he's our best centre forward.

You guys are absolutely crazy, do you remember the games after we lost Wilson and before Wood came in? We were abysmal with ASM at CF and he was completely anonymous.

Maybe I am remembering things wrong, but that period was pretty fucking rough. I know Wood isn't great or popular, but playing ASM out of position is not the answer. He is just not a center forward.

You know what Chris Wood is? He's fine.

Not exciting, not "good", but we'll do fine with him for the last few games, just like we have since he came into the side, and then we have all summer to upgrade.