Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

18 hours ago, South-Cheshire-Toon said:

Just seen that forest will make the deal permanent when the transfer window opens (source bbc sport - forest to release lingard and 5 others).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65789316

"Serge Aurier has triggered an automatic one-year extension on his deal, while the club have confirmed striker Chris Wood's loan from Newcastle United will become a permanent transfer when the window re-opens."

Lingard released, not getting him might prove to be one of the best bits of transfer business we did in that January window.

Will always remember him fondly for being a positive presence and part of the side that kept us up. The transfer could not have worked out better for us given we stayed up and sold him on so quickly. Top man 

Came in when we needed a focal point, did a decent job - dare I say a fairly underrated job in leading our press. All in all a great transfer, gave us what we needed and we've recouped a fair bit of the value. That video of him walking into the dressing room after scoring a winner and hearing the whole squad cheering was class.

Wish him nothing but the best - hope he can find some form at Forest.

Just now, Displayname said:

Targett hasn´t looked great exactly.

Should get more or less our money back for him. I’m sure a lower mid table team would give us £8-10m once he’s back up to fitness.

Just now, Displayname said:

You think he has been a sucsessful signing so far?

Yeah, absolutely. Never lets us down when he is allowed on the pitch. 

1 minute ago, Displayname said:

You think he has been a sucsessful signing so far?

Absolutely. Cheap, when he's been in the side has looked great, has only been kept out by injury and the current back 5 being the best in the league.

15 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Should get more or less our money back for him. I’m sure a lower mid table team would give us £8-10m once he’s back up to fitness.

Could definitely see Forest having a look if Lodi doesn't sign actually.

I like him, still think over a season he'd be better in that position than Burn. People forget how good he was that half a season when he arrived, both defensively and starting attacks. Ideal world he's number two to an elite left-back and Burn is Botman's cover next season though. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Don't get the Wood hate. He was a focal point for our attacks which we'd have otherwise lacked at a time we desperately needed one, he pressed well from the front, worked his bollocks off and had the right attitude.  Without him we might have been relegated.

He didn't score as many as we'd have liked, but having him in the team allowed us to push higher up the pitch and carry a threat to the opposition instead of being camped in our own half. Whilst I'm glad we now have better options, he was vital for that first 6 months or so and I'll always think of him fondly. Hopefully he goes on and rediscovers his goalscoring form for Forest.

One thing about Chris Wood. He came overpriced but he got on with the job he was brought to do and along with the other signings, it worked.

I can only wish him the best unless he plays against us.

Getting 15 million for him was excellent business and only forest would've paid it with their policy of dipping into the lucky bag and saying, "I'll have him, I'll have him."

I was expecting us to be letting Wood go to a championship[ club a lot further down the line until forest came in with their desperate money throwing times.

Edited by magvicar

52 minutes ago, LV said:

Yeah, absolutely. Never lets us down when he is allowed on the pitch. 

51 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Absolutely. Cheap, when he's been in the side has looked great, has only been kept out by injury and the current back 5 being the best in the league.

He was an excellent loan signing - but I'm not sure 15m + his being one of the highest earners at the club is worth it for a reserve LB.  The back five also haven't been the best in the league since the tactical switch in February - we kept three clean sheets in the second half of the league season (final 19 games).  They looked pretty vulnerable to me for those last few months - with most matches seeing a goal conceded from a piece of poor defending.

Not meant as a criticism of Targett nor of his signing - but you'd be hard pressed to argue for 'value for money' for the first full season.

Edited by TheBrownBottle

7 minutes ago, astraguy said:

We still have darlow on our books too 

Guessing we'll have to see what we do with Dubravka and Karius first? If they're both happy to stay then we'll move him on, if one or both want to go then we might have to keep him.

13 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

He was an excellent loan signing - but I'm not sure 15m + his being one of the highest earners at the club is worth it for a reserve LB.  The back five also haven't been the best in the league since the tactical switch in February - we kept three clean sheets in the second half of the league season (final 19 games).  They looked pretty vulnerable to me for those last few months - with most matches seeing a goal conceded from a piece of poor defending.

Not meant as a criticism of Targett nor of his signing - but you'd be hard pressed to argue for 'value for money' for the first full season.

£15m for a very reliable squad option who you know won’t let you down, is a good character and who doesn’t moan about being left out is a pretty good investment I’d say.

I’d definitely call it a success. 

Totally understand if people have a different view….. even if it’s wrong ?

Edited by LV

1 minute ago, LV said:

£15m for a very reliable squad option who you know won’t let you down, is a good character and who doesn’t moan about being left out is a pretty good investment I’d say.

I’d definitely call it a success. 

Yeah, it is a tricky one for me because I think Targett is a canny player and a good personality / of good character.  It is just that we're probably not at the point where 100k/pw for a reserve LB is the norm.

I'm trying not to be overly critical here, as I like Targett and would be happy for him to be in the squad for the next couple of years (provided he's happy with a squad role).  With the increased income next season (and of course in future seasons) everything I've written becomes less of an issue.

Good luck to Wood, he seems like a solid bloke and there’s no doubting his commitment. I really don’t think he was an effective player for us though. His ability to hold the ball up and be that ‘target man/focal point’ was vastly overated as was his heading ability. He huffed and puffed, lots of perspiration and not much inspiration. 

Glad we made such a fee for him. I have almost forgot he ever played for us. The dread of seeing him on line-up is truly overturned now Isak and Wilson are the main two.

3 hours ago, Chris_R said:

Don't get the Wood hate. He was a focal point for our attacks which we'd have otherwise lacked at a time we desperately needed one, he pressed well from the front, worked his bollocks off and had the right attitude.  Without him we might have been relegated.

He didn't score as many as we'd have liked, but having him in the team allowed us to push higher up the pitch and carry a threat to the opposition instead of being camped in our own half. Whilst I'm glad we now have better options, he was vital for that first 6 months or so and I'll always think of him fondly. Hopefully he goes on and rediscovers his goalscoring form for Forest.

There was never any hate, it was just that we paid far too much for a really poor player. That resentment has gone now that we managed to claw most of it back.