Mason Greenwood

mouldy_uk

On 16/08/2023 at 22:15, Froggy said:

Probably naive of me but I think a club should always put fans first. 

For our female supporters what do they do now if Greenwood scores? It's a statistical certainty that there will be victims of domestic violence in the ground every week and they have to watch this guy live his best life out on the pitch again. 

Ten Hag was building a dressing room full of strong characters. There's a togetherness with the team at the minute. I think Greenwood returning actually hurts us. 

This is going to make so many of our fans uncomfortable. Then again football fans are fickle and it could all be forgotten about in a year or two. 

Maybe the upcoming statements and explanations from the club will change things, but every fan I've spoken to bar one doesn't want him to return, myself included. 

Just out of interest who are these strong characters?

The most vocal player you had the other night was Varane and that’s saying summat. I’d say lack of leadership and character in the dressing room was one of your biggest failings. . . .

https://theathletic.com/4786779/2023/08/18/mason-greenwood-manchester-united-charities/

You see, it's all well and good to have a well-thought-out strategy to reintegrate a player like Mason Greenwood....but listing a "series of domestic abuse charities assumed to be "hostile"" probably shouldn't be in that strategy.

If this proves to be true, he's toast. ManU's PR team has totally fucked this from beginning to end.

3 hours ago, Big Geordie said:

I see the awful Rachel Riley has managed to get herself all over the news - saying she will stop supporting the Mancs if Greenwood plays for them again.....

Yes how devestating that would be. Born right next to old Trafford apparently, in a place called Essex. 

I don't like to attach the people running a club with the institution itself, because in cases like this you can easily tar fans with the same brush. 

That said, them leaking a story about consulting the female players was fucking vile. A total dog whistle to every little incel in their bedroom that cares more about Fifa points than anything in the real world. 

I also hate the way it's being framed that he wasn't convicted so what's the issue. The whole situation is a giant fucking mess and highlights both how little people understand of the criminal justice system, and how the people at the top of football fail to install any kind of checks or balances to stop people like Greenwood becoming so entitled and detached from reality that they do things like this.

Looking from the outside this is a right mess, yes sometimes people make mistakes in life and should be supported but sometimes things cross a line and this is one. Regardless of the case been dropped, dodgy in itself he is a right little cunt.

I think the club are terrified to sack him as he will sue them and also there seems to be some old boys club thinking in he was just been a lad etc.

Yes he has not been charged with anything so technically he has not done anything wrong but everyone knows that is bollocks but his employment status is protected by law, they should just let him run out his contract in the reserves and then release him, but if I was there I would be concerned about his influence and impact on the junior players, there is bound to be a few idiots in the ranks who would see him as the big man, they should have sent him off on loan to another country and tried to forget about him.

10 minutes ago, MagMal said:

I think the club are terrified to sack him as he will sue them and also there seems to be some old boys club thinking in he was just been a lad etc.

The reason the club are terrified to sack him is because they would be giving away a multi million £ asset for nothing and would go against their financial principles - it’s nothing to do with fear of being sued. 

18 minutes ago, Manxst said:

The reason the club are terrified to sack him is because they would be giving away a multi million £ asset for nothing and would go against their financial principles - it’s nothing to do with fear of being sued. 

Possibly but what is an asset worth if no-one will touch him with a bargepole?, no club in the UK would take him, look how bad it was for Chad Evans and things have moved on since then, really I could only see him playing in Turkey, Saudi etc, no disrespect to those places, and if he moves there he is never going to have the career he could have.

You have to question the moral values of Ten Hag etc if he is happy for his paymasters to force the player back on him, as I say it's a no win situation for all so better to let him rot and release. 

1 minute ago, MagMal said:

Possibly but what is an asset worth if no-one will touch him with a bargepole?, no club in the UK would take him, look how bad it was for Chad Evans and things have moved on since then, really I could only see him playing in Turkey, Saudi etc, no disrespect to those places, and if he moves there he is never going to have the career he could have.

You have to question the moral values of Ten Hag etc if he is happy for his paymasters to force the player back on him, as I say it's a no win situation for all so better to let him rot and release. 

The asset is worth what his performances on the pitch bring- goals, improved positions, cup runs, and as a result improved finances. I’m not talking about transfer fees. To replace him would cost the club multi millions, on top of him going for zero- the club would lose financially both ways. It’s been reported Ten Hag has no issues with Greenwood returning to the team- he hasn’t ‘been forced’ to accept him back. 

2 minutes ago, MagMal said:

You have to question the moral values of Ten Hag

Ten Hag deals with the football side of things. This isn't on him. 

It's on everyone at the top. The way it has been handled is embarrassing. Radio silence for 6 months and then leaks start appearing about how domestic violence charities are hostile. :lol:

Opposed? Against? Not in favour of? Nah son, list them as hostile. What's the worst that can happen. 

Club has been a joke for years the way they handle things. 

2 minutes ago, Froggy said:

It's on everyone at the top. The way it has been handled is embarrassing. Radio silence for 6 months and then leaks start appearing about how domestic violence charities are hostile. :lol:

Opposed? Against? Not in favour of? Nah son, list them as hostile. What's the worst that can happen. 

I agree it is not on Ten Hag but as the manager he should be saying I don't want him and the club should be backing him, ultimately regardless of his worth the club should be looking at who is more important, the manager or some scrote, if they feel Greenwood is more important than the manager and team and fan unity then they are on a dangerous path that won't end well.

6 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Agree that this is probably a decision taken above him but be very surprised if he - and some players - havent voiced their concerns. 

I agree it is not on Ten Hag but as the manager he should be saying I don't want him and the club should be backing him, ultimately regardless of his worth the club should be looking at who is more important, the manager or some scrote, if they feel Greenwood is more important than the manager and team and fan unity then they are on a dangerous path that won't end well.

“It included guidance on how head coach Ten Hag should respond to the highly sensitive questions that would be expected during press conferences following Greenwood’s return and how, after a certain period of time, he should begin to talk about Greenwood as though he is a regular member of the playing squad. Both Ten Hag and the club’s football director, John Murtough, are supportive and encouraging of Greenwood’s return.”

https://theathletic.com/4786779/2023/08/18/mason-greenwood-manchester-united-charities/

From a business point of view to keep him it is the wrong one as the damage to the brand, sponsorship etc will out way his value.

Ultimately if you look at two of the greatest modern day managers both clubs have had, fergie and keegan, would either of them stand for it, no, fergie would have blasted the club and keegan would have walked away if he was forced on him.

Ten Hag should be the same, his stock would only rise if he walked or voiced his concerns and he would easily get another high profile job.

From a business point of view to keep him it is the wrong one as the damage to the brand, sponsorship etc will out way his value.

Ultimately if you look at two of the greatest modern day managers both clubs have had, fergie and keegan, would either of them stand for it, no, fergie would have blasted the club and keegan would have walked away if he was forced on him.

Ten Hag should be the same, his stock would only rise if he walked or voiced his concerns and he would easily get another high profile job.

Have you read the quote from The Athletic directly above? Ten Hag is “supportive and encouraging” of Greenwood’s return to the team. You’re presuming things about Ten Hag regarding his moral compass that aren’t there.  

5 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Agree that this is probably a decision taken above him but be very surprised if he - and some players - havent voiced their concerns. 

Some players have voiced concerns but most are in support of him coming back, including Ten Hag. The decision doesn't lie with any of them though. 

The club shouldn't give a fuck what the players or manager think. Players and managers want success. Greenwood increases chances of success. Morals are forgotten about. 

If the club want to help Greenwood because he's been with us since the age of 7, then fine, but he shouldn't play football for us again unless any evidence can be shared that shows what he did was consensual. Doubt we will ever get that. 

10 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Have you read the quote from The Athletic directly above? Ten Hag is “supportive and encouraging” of Greenwood’s return to the team. You’re presuming things about Ten Hag regarding his moral compass that aren’t there.  

Yes and that is what is disappointing, I suppose I am just an old fart who thinks some things should take priority but as Froggy says unless there is evidence it was consensual then he shouldn't play for them again, but what are the chances of a young lass coming out in the press to say she likes to be abused, sad times all round.

Just now, MagMal said:

Yes and that is what is disappointing, I suppose I am just an old fart who thinks some things should take priority but as Froggy says unless there is evidence it was consensual then he shouldn't play for them again, but what are the chances of a young lass coming out in the press to say she likes to be abused, sad times all round.

Of course it wasn’t consensual (have you heard the audio?) and of course he shouldn’t play for their club again, but as we all know, football is a multi BILLION £ industry. It’s got to that point by ignoring where it comes from, the views of the fans on the whole, and the only thing the industry and owners care about is greed and making more money. Greenwood is just a prime example of that- morality and what SHOULD be done goes out of the window. It’s a consideration certainly, but only in that it might affect the earning power of the club going on. 

My biggest concern if I was a man utd fan would be what this says about the culture of the club, yes every club with have it's dark secrets but in allowing this they have given the green light for their employees to act how they want without consequences, probably the only other recent example I can think of on this scale is what happened at Leeds with Woodgate and Bowyer.

Edited by MagMal

I think this is a bit of a light bulb moment for me and Man utd, for years we have laughed at them complaining about the Glazers after they spend 100's of millions each year, but I think this hammers home the culture they have created.