Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

38 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Mourinho has done a good job at Roma, not sure why people are suggesting otherwise. 

Been a really good turnaround since they lost that 4-3 to Juve at the start of January. Only losing twice in the league since then. Changed the system and how he uses certain players, playing Mkhitaryan as a deep lying playmaker for example. Got rid of a lot of the softness and errors they had under Fonseca and has managed to get the full support of the fans over there. They love him and the attendances have been great. 

He had nearly double the net spend of anyone else in the league and finished with 1 more point than Fonseca did last season. Fonseca got them to the semi's of the Europa League as well, which is probably as much of an achievement as winning the Conference League. Beating teams like Ajax and Shakhtar is certainly more difficult than beating Vitesse and Bodo/Glimt IMO.

I'm fairly confident we'll be sitting here in 12-18 months with Mourinho either gone or flailing. 

22 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Of course, but you likely won't be saying that in 10 years. 

Roma haven’t won a single trophy in 14 years ffs. I’m not surprised they’re delighted with it.

It’s not comparable to Man Utd and believe it or not there is a world beyond Man Utd.

1 hour ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Roma haven’t won a single trophy in 14 years ffs. I’m not surprised they’re delighted with it.

It’s not comparable to Man Utd and believe it or not there is a world beyond Man Utd.

I never mentioned Man United.

Just now, Froggy said:

Standard.

It's just an opinion anyway. I'm not sure where the line is drawn for something to become a minor trophy. 

The line moves dependent on who you support/the opinion of your club. 

11 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

The line moves dependent on who you support/the opinion of your club. 

So hypothetically speaking what if UEFA were to get greedy and they made another European competition called the Conference Light Cup? To qualify you need to finish 8th-10th in your league? Is this a major trophy by default because it's a big deal to Brighton, Osasuna and Verona?

Where would it stop? 

1 hour ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Froggy once again proving how clueless he is.

Almost missed this as well. Very nice. You've called me clueless for simply stating that I don't think the Conference League is a major trophy.

Can I redirect you to this thread: 

This thread where you state that Leciester getting to the semi final of the Conference isn't even a pro, as it's barely the Intertoto Cup, and that the competition isn't worthy of praise for a Leicester manager.

Enjoy. :thup:

8 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Conference League seems a similar level to the old Cup Winners Cup to me when you see the clubs involved at the latter stages.

It was a shame that cup was ditched. Gave an added incentive to the cup competitions for those clubs aiming for upper mid table spots.

Edited by toon25

11 hours ago, Froggy said:

Almost missed this as well. Very nice. You've called me clueless for simply stating that I don't think the Conference League is a major trophy.

Can I redirect you to this thread: 

This thread where you state that Leciester getting to the semi final of the Conference isn't even a pro, as it's barely the Intertoto Cup, and that the competition isn't worthy of praise for a Leicester manager.

Enjoy. :thup:

That’ll be Leicester who have recently won the PL and FA Cup, compared to Roma who haven’t won a single trophy in 14 years.

You’re comparing apples and pears.

I called you clueless for underestimating the achievement of Mourinho winning a trophy with Roma, as it clearly is a decent achievement for a club with no trophies in 14 years.

Getting to the semi finals of the Conference League isn’t a pro for a Leicester manager. They should be winning it. They shouldn’t even be in it, they only were as they failed in a straightforward Europa League group.

It’s quite easy to understand two clubs in different positions can and should have different objectives. So aye, you are clueless.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

Really don't get what Froggy has said that has gotten backs up this much. Aside from it coming from Froggy of course. :lol:

I've no doubt I'd be having a blast if we won it but once the excitement wore off I think I'd be questioning if it really meant we had a 'major' trophy. Maybe my feelings will change in time when it's got some history behind it but right now it feels more Intertoto than Cup Winners Cup to me. 

Besides, unless I missed something while half asleep it doesn't look like he's disparaging teams that are taking it seriously, but it's fair enough to question where you draw the line of 'major'. Whatever the trophy, get far enough down the pyramid and you'll find a team that'll take it seriously.

3 minutes ago, wormy said:

Really don't get what Froggy has said that has gotten backs up this much. Aside from it coming from Froggy of course. :lol:

I don't think anybody has reacted badly to what I said with one exception, they just disagree, which is fine. 

Nothing to do with Man United as to why I view it as a minor trophy. It could be major for us soon enough. :lol:

1 hour ago, relámpago blanco said:

I'm impressed with Villa's signings.  Surely they are in danger of breaching FFP soon though

I would say they've a while to go yet. The likes of Buendia, Bailey, Ings and Digne were mostly offset by the Grealish sale.

Diego Carlos, Coutinho and Kamara for £43m is outstanding business.