Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

24 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Didn't Mitro start the PL campaign a few years ago very well and then spectacularly drop off? Feel like he had 8 by December and then finished on 11.

Yep. Which I seem to remember mirrored Fulham's general performance. Started decent, helped by Mitro, goals dried up and they barely got any more points then on in. Think Mitrovic was benched for a bit mid-late season too.

State of those fucking VAR calls in the Palace and Fulham games. Ludicrous. Jonathan Pearce put it perfectly; the spirit of the game is being infringed. I thought we were moving away from ultra-stringent offsides and handballs?

I still feel so certain that its occasional justifiable moments are so far outweighed by it's influence on the application of the rules.

In other news, Zaha is still class - what a year he's had. I know he won't have long left at his peak but he'd have been a great addition for us. 

Gerrard blaming the refs and his defenders not defending is par for the course, of course. 

VAR has definitely been a negative for the game IMO, I’d happily scrap it.

I don’t even celebrate a goal now until I’ve had a look around and see what checks are going to be done. I don’t get why commentators still announce goals as if they’re real, it’s weird. They should be saying “possible goal here, let’s wait for the video” :lol:

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Until they get some minority report AI on the case making instant calls it can fuck off, especially as it hasn’t improved actual decisions. Fundamentally the referees aren’t good enough. If they’re fucking up massively with all the VAR tools, what does that say about their ability on the pitch?

If Che Adams has improved a lot then Southampton are gonna be absolutely fine, like. Feel like everyone has got them tipped to struggle and that might be a fair shout, but I think they've made some interesting signings and just lack a couple of key things; namely experience and a proper goalscorer. But Adams looked quality yesterday; should've had a hat-trick.

7 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Until they get some minority report AI on the case making instant calls it can fuck off, especially as it hasn’t improved actual decisions. Fundamentally the referees aren’t good enough. If they’re fucking up massively with all the VAR tools, what does that say about their ability on the pitch?

VAR was brought in due to the constant poor decisions but those same refs making those decisions are now using VAR poorly. Absolutely daft tbh 

Guest HTT II

Palace looking good. Really like what Vieira is trying to do there. Arsenal look good early doors too, they have a good balance in their team finally. Spurs have grit about them. Bournemouth look the best bet to go down. Fulham have goals in them, but also concede. Brentford look like they will have a similar season to last season. Wolves are all eye candy, they will struggle for goals, like we will unless we add extra attacking quality in the final 3rd. Villa and Everton are in big trouble. Forest play some nice stuff, but I can see them struggling too. They are going to be so inconsistent you’d think. Leicester are regressing massively and although Southampton won, they will have a similar season as they did last year. The Top 6 is attainable for us IMO or any ambitious team!

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

State of those fucking VAR calls in the Palace and Fulham games. Ludicrous. Jonathan Pearce put it perfectly; the spirit of the game is being infringed. I thought we were moving away from ultra-stringent offsides and handballs?

I still feel so certain that its occasional justifiable moments are so far outweighed by it's influence on the application of the rules.

In other news, Zaha is still class - what a year he's had. I know he won't have long left at his peak but he'd have been a great addition for us. 

Gerrard blaming the refs and his defenders not defending is par for the course, of course. 

ar looks into two goals that weren't flagged for offside, one is onside by an inch the other is offside by an inch but the offside was is a clear and obvious error? 

Seems like VAR is also culpable for clear and obvious errors.

4 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I’d really like VAR to follow cricket. 

1 call a half from each team. If you get it right - you keep it. If you get it wrong - you lose it. 

So many times, teams don’t even claim for VAR and then a goal is stroked off.

5 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

I’d really like VAR to follow cricket. 

1 call a half from each team. If you get it right - you keep it. If you get it wrong - you lose it. 

So many times, teams don’t even claim for VAR and then a goal is stroked off.

Think that sounds even worse than it is now

Watching Bristol City and the lad Massengo in their midfield looks a decent player. Bristol spent a relative fortune on him, surpsied he's still there, don't think he will be for much longer. Only 21 and over 100 appearances