Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

I've never really followed Longstaff / Mansfield's progress in the same way as I have with Anderson / Bristol R, so apart from the 5 goals, I'm not sure what the general opinion of their fans have been on him. I guess that's largely because he's almost 3 years older, still playing in L2 at 22, failed at Aberdeen etc. and almost like he's peaked at Newcastle with that Man Utd winner, and unlikely to have a future. 

I wonder what sort of career he goes on to have? 

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, Paullow said:

I've never really followed Longstaff / Mansfield's progress in the same way as I have with Anderson / Bristol R, so apart from the 5 goals, I'm not sure what the general opinion of their fans have been on him. I guess that's largely because he's almost 3 years older, still playing in L2 at 22, failed at Aberdeen etc. and almost like he's peaked at Newcastle with that Man Utd winner, and unlikely to have a future. 

I wonder what sort of career he goes on to have? 

He’s probably at his rightful level there…

3 minutes ago, HTT II said:

He’s probably at his rightful level there…

Mansfield do have a big budget, so they probably have done well to get him in at this stage, so maybe a league higher, and possibly a realistic option for them if they do go up, but aye, you'd possibly think lower than the Championship going forward.

2-1 Mansfield thanks to a pen just before half time. Eventful half. It's so tight for automatic promotion up there, with 4 sides having some sort of chance. Advantage Mansfield as it stands, but then Port Vale play Newport at 3pm (also on Sky) and will have the chance to jump into 3rd themselves. 

Port Vale have Exeter away on the final day, who have the title in their own hands, Mansfield have Forest Green at home who have led the league for so long but have been struggling for a while, although still in title contention. Northampton who were in 3rd at the start of the day have lowly, but safe, Barrow away on the final day, whereas Rovers have already relegated Scunlhorpe at home, so you could still make a case for all of 4 them to go up automatically, and it'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.

It's actually a very enjoyable match. 2-2 now, and end to end. Lund, who was lucky to stay on the pitch, equalised, and then hit the bar with another header, and then Mansfield could have scored again just before as well. Mansfield have brought a lot of fans, so it's a good atmosphere, and both sides really need the win.

19 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

James Perch still plays for Mansfield 

He's had a cracking career, relatively, when you think about it. Mansfield born so joins the biggest team in the area / county in Forest, and plays over 200 matches for them. Gets an unlikely move to Premier League Newcastle, even if not vintage Newcastle, and is involved in 81 games there. Moves to Wigan where he is a regular for two years in the Championship, gets to live in West London for a few years at QPR, and then ends his career at his home town club, where he is presumably vice captain. Not bad at all.

How big is that Bournemouth vs Forest match tomorrow at 7pm? If Bournemouth win they are up, if Forest win then it's massively advantage Forest on the final day, and if they draw, then it's as you were, still advantage Bournemouth, but a tougher looking final day match. In some ways it would have been better if it was the actual final match of the season itself, but at the same time, at least we get a massively high stakes match, rather than it potentially not happening if results in match day 45 went a different way.

It sounds strange, but I've warmed to Forest a bit since our takeover, and their great league and especially cup run. They are obviously a significant / traditional club and would offer the Premier League far more than some of the clubs currently there, but when the apathy was in full flow, and we were just stinking out the league looking to finish 17th, I couldn't really be bothered with another club like that buzzing and being delighted to be back, whereas now my mindset is different and I wish them well, if that makes sense.

Absolutely want Forest back in the Prem. How long has it been now since they last played in the PL? To be honest, I didn't want Fulham back. I'd rather one of the older Prem clubs like Forest or even a newcomer like Luton to come up. Wouldn't mind Boro either.

20 minutes ago, Paullow said:

How big is that Bournemouth vs Forest match tomorrow at 7pm? If Bournemouth win they are up, if Forest win then it's massively advantage Forest on the final day, and if they draw, then it's as you were, still advantage Bournemouth, but a tougher looking final day match. In some ways it would have been better if it was the actual final match of the season itself, but at the same time, at least we get a massively high stakes match, rather than it potentially not happening if results in match day 45 went a different way.

It sounds strange, but I've warmed to Forest a bit since our takeover, and their great league and especially cup run. They are obviously a significant / traditional club and would offer the Premier League far more than some of the clubs currently there, but when the apathy was in full flow, and we were just stinking out the league looking to finish 17th, I couldn't really be bothered with another club like that buzzing and being delighted to be back, whereas now my mindset is different and I wish them well, if that makes sense.

Cooper has done an absolutely remarkable job there. Think they were in the relegation spots when he took over. 

1 minute ago, toon25 said:

Cooper has done an absolutely remarkable job there. Think they were in the relegation spots when he took over. 

Aye, they got 1 point from their first seven matches under Hughton, sacked him, and haven't looked back since. I really like Chris, but that's an astonishing turnaround.

Fulham coming back up is a bit shit tbh, and points to a growing number of Champo clubs that basically survive by just yo-yo-ing between the Champo and PL. Norwich, Watford, West Brom, Fulham et al. 

Hope it won't always be a different combo of the same old clubs going down and coming back up, but I suppose the parachute payments has a lot to do with relative spending power and wages for new players etc.

Forest were last in the PL in 1998/99, so have been out 23 years. I can just about remember them there, although they were a bit of a yo-yo club at the time, so wasn't really shocking stuff when they last went down, but obviously anyone under 30 won't can remember them there, so it will be good to have them back. Another big city club with good history.

15 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Fulham coming back up is a bit shit tbh, and points to a growing number of Champo clubs that basically survive by just yo-yo-ing between the Champo and PL. Norwich, Watford, West Brom, Fulham et al. 

Hope it won't always be a different combo of the same old clubs going down and coming back up, but I suppose the parachute payments has a lot to do with relative spending power and wages for new players etc.

I think it was on here but can't remember for sure, but while it's boring for us, I suppose it's unsurprising that just like there's players who are too good for the Champo but not quite for the PL, there's teams in a similar position. Putting it in that perspective has made me a bit more accepting of the fact. 

That being said, I'd love to see Forest back in the PL. Weird to think I remember them so firmly as a PL team just because they were in my first Panini sticker albums, even though I only turned 10 in their last PL season. It's just what those formative years do to you, I guess. 

Forest back up please. Won the European and league so have some history. I don't want the same handful of clubs yo-yoing and happy to pick up parachute payments every couple of years. 

There seems to be like a mini league developing of clubs hovering around the top of the championship/ bottom of the premier league. 

1 minute ago, Bintang said:

Forest back up please. Won the European and league so have some history. I don't want the same handful of clubs yo-yoing and happy to pick up parachute payments every couple of years. 

There seems to be like a mini league developing of clubs hovering around the top of the championship/ bottom of the premier league. 

Forest up in the automatics and Luton up in the play offs please.

2 minutes ago, Bintang said:

Aye, including us, until 7 months ago [emoji38]