sunderland in the EFL

Big River

28 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Honestly, as much as I like laughing at them, I stopped at the first page.  It was genuinely depressing to read their nominations - Christ, they’ve really never seen a top rate midfielder play for them, have they?

Don’t get me wrong, it’s funny too - but fuck me, I’d be utterly devastated if Reyna, Bracewell, McCann, Schwartz, Baaaaally and Clattermole were the ones getting mentioned 

Would be like us debating if colback, mcclenn, Hamilton or bassedas were our best

Even the Ashley era centre midfield had Cabaye, Willock, Merino, Longstaff, Wijnaldum, Barton, Nolan, Tiote, Sissoko, Shelvey, Diame, Butt, Smith and their boy Ki. Could make a case that every one of them was better than what they've come up with.

Edited by Wolfcastle

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

In fairness, Baxter is the only one I saw on their lists where people outside of Sunderland would say that he was a first-rate footballer.  They’d need to be of a decent vintage though - it’s before my fatha’s time, and I’m in my 40s

They had a few who went on to be very good (Todd, Watson, Henderson) and some, like us, who were well passed their best (Waddle, Cole, Kennedy, etc).

35 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Even the Ashley era centre midfield had Cabaye, Willock, Merino, Longstaff, Wijnaldum, Barton, Nolan, Tiote, Sissoko, Shelvey, Diame, Butt, Smith and their boy Ki. Could make a case that every one of them was better than what they've come up with.

I'd say NUFC-era Nicky Butt and Alan Smith would probably get into their top ten. In that they were both so mediocre and underwhelming. 

2 hours ago, bhoywhonder said:

I'd say NUFC-era Nicky Butt and Alan Smith would probably get into their top ten. In that they were both so mediocre and underwhelming. 

Genuinely was going to bracket those two with (whatever we think of them for us, look at their list).

Career wise comparing either to Cattermole and Ball is an insult but just for us yeah it'd be tricky to argue as better than their list but certainly they'd be in it.

*also Ki isn't better than Ki, about equal I'd say.

Edited by Wolfcastle

18 hours ago, Wolfcastle said:

Genuinely was going to bracket those two with (whatever we think of them for us, look at their list).

Career wise comparing either to Cattermole and Ball is an insult but just for us yeah it'd be tricky to argue as better than their list but certainly they'd be in it.

*also Ki isn't better than Ki, about equal I'd say.

Nicky butt was actually far worse than most people remember for us. Couldn't complete a pass and just hacked people down 

9 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Nicky butt was actually far worse than most people remember for us. Couldn't complete a pass and just hacked people down 

Oh he was absolutely shite, a contender for our worst centre-midfield in the PL era - at that point a shoe in with McClen.

35 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Don’t forget the overhead kicks.

39 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

He was really poor under Souness but had a decent season with Roeder and then looked useful in Keegan's 4-3-1-2. After that his legs had gone but he was far from our worst ever in the PL era. That'd be Alan Smith hands down.

3 minutes ago, Pilko said:

He was really poor under Souness but had a decent season with Roeder and then looked useful in Keegan's 4-3-1-2. After that his legs had gone but he was far from our worst ever in the PL era. That'd be Alan Smith hands down.

Was decent in the Championship too was Butt which was about his level by the time here was up. 

44 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Oh he was absolutely shite, a contender for our worst centre-midfield in the PL era - at that point a shoe in with McClen.

We've had far worse than nicky butt..far worse

50 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

10 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

We've had far worse than nicky butt..far worse

Pre Butt in the PL I've got O'Brien, Bracewell, Clark, Lee, Venison,  Batty, Elliott, Speed, Acuna, (McClen), Dyer, Jenas.

Faye was after.