sunderland in the EFL

Big River

14 minutes ago, Dancing Brave said:

:2funny:

"The derby is finished. Newcastle Utd no longer exist."

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/tyne-wear-derbies.1619193/

:lol:

No irony of the fact there's a generation of fans coming through where Sunderland won't even register to them. My nephew's 9 and I don't think he even knows there's a rivalry between us.

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

:lol:

No irony of the fact there's a generation of fans coming through where Sunderland won't even register to them. My nephew's 9 and I don't think he even knows there's a rivalry between us.

I like the comment that we can fix the draw so we will face them in the FA cup.  Have they seen the last few draws we have had?

I had to explain to my 9 year old daughter about the Tyne wear derbies when we were in town the other day (there is a toon & safc shirt in the window of Newcastle uni) because she didn't know what team it was.

Was canny flabbergasted that I'd have to explain something so deep rooted(at least for me and probably anyone 20+ years) to anyone, but that's how long it's been and how insignificant they've became. 

Or how sportswashed I am now:coolsmiley:

5 minutes ago, NE27 said:

I had to explain to my 9 year old daughter about the Tyne wear derbies when we were in town the other day (there is a toon & safc shirt in the window of Newcastle uni) because she didn't know what team it was.

Was canny flabbergasted that I'd have to explain something so deep rooted(at least for me and probably anyone 20+ years) to anyone, but that's how long it's been and how insignificant they've became. 

Or how sportswashed I am now:coolsmiley:

Give it a few more years and if they don't manage to get back into the Premiership they'll be about as relevant to a lot of supporters as Hartlepool United are today.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

The whole suggestion about it being "rigged" or "fixed" falls down immediately when you realise that VAR could quite reasonably have sent Havertz off and left them with 10 men for 50%+ of the game. Well, that and the fact that the whole idea is tin-foil-hat-level nonsense of course.

Middlesbrough has always been our true Derby marra . The head choppers up the road don’t understand what real NE folk are like. Boro understand us and we understand them.

It’s always been like this … Newcastle have never really been true NE folk marra.

Canna wait to beat Boro and then chase the smoggie gits across town and smack them back onto their train home. FTM

I've often wondered if the Tees-Wear derby might actually become the regional match. There's a slight chance we play Boro in the League Cup, but we've not played them for almost 14 years, and it's coming up to 8 years since we last played Sunderland (so if you're like 15 then you won't really remember playing them, or 20 in Boro's case), whereas, despite Sunderland recently having 4 years in the third tier, Sunderland and Boro have played each other 8 times since we last played either, and will obviously be at least 9 by the end of the season, possibly more if they met in the playoffs.

They've been more align with each other these past 30-50 years. We've had 29 of the 32 Premier League years in the top flight, whereas Sunderland and Middlesbrough have only had 16 and 15 respectively, their recent matches have had a lot more needle, red cards etc. and if they do keep on competing at the top end of the second tier, or perhaps the odd season fighting PL relegation together, and involved in more and more higher stakes matches, this rivalry may become fiercer than Sunderland in particular would like to admit.

1 minute ago, Paullow said:

I've often wondered if the Tees-Wear derby might actually become the regional match. There's a slight chance we play Boro in the League Cup, but we've not played them for almost 14 years, and it's coming up to 8 years since we last played Sunderland (so if you're like 15 then you won't really remember playing them, or 20 in Boro's case), whereas, despite Sunderland recently having 4 years in the third tier, Sunderland and Boro have played each other 8 times since we last played either, and will obviously be at least 9 by the end of the season, possibly more if they met in the playoffs.

They've been more align with each other these past 30-50 years. We've had 29 of the 32 Premier League years in the top flight, whereas Sunderland and Middlesbrough have only had 16 and 15 respectively, their recent matches have had a lot more needle, red cards etc. and if they do keep on competing at the top end of the second tier, or perhaps the odd season fighting PL relegation together, and involved in more and more higher stakes matches, this rivalry may become fiercer than Sunderland in particular would like to admit.

I think they can (medium term) look forward to many more 'derby battles' against teams like Hartlepool and Gateshead !!!

3 hours ago, Paullow said:

There are other examples of a similar nature - Aston Villa’s main rivals used to be West Brom (and vice versa), but once WBA started spending long spells in the lower leagues they became rivals with Wolves instead (who also had spent most of their history in the top flight until relatively recently - mid-70s for WBA, early 80s for Wolves).  It does happen :) 

1 hour ago, Paullow said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973–74_European_Cup_Winners'_Cup#Second_leg_2

As we play Dortmund in the Champions League, It'll be exactly 50 years tomorrow since Sunderland last played in Europe, their 4th match to date.

Tomorrow will of course be our 4th European match this season.

It'll be our 100th UEFA Cup / Champions League match (Ie equal to or better than the level Sunderland played their 4 matches in), and our 138th European match overall.

We've won 75 games in Europe so far.

Sunderland have scored a total of 5 goals in Europe in their history.

Alan Shearer, Shola Ameobi, Craig Bellamy, Wyn Davies, Pop Robson, Tino Asprilla, Nobby Solano, Obafemi Martins, Keiron Dyer, Patrick Kluivert, Laurent Robert, Jim Scott and Gary Speed have all scored at least that many for us as.

Shola Ameobi has scored 3 times as many goals in Europe for us as Sunderland have in their history.

12 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

It'll be our 100th UEFA Cup / Champions League match (Ie equal to or better than the level Sunderland played their 4 matches in), and our 138th European match overall.

Alan Shearer, Shola Ameobi, Craig Bellamy, Wyn Davies, Pop Robson, Tino Asprilla, Nobby Solano, Obafemi Martins, Keiron Dyer, Patrick Kluivert, Laurent Robert, Jim Scott and Gary Speed have all scored at least that many for us as.

Shola Ameobi has scored 3 times as many goals in Europe for us as Sunderland have in their history.

This was our European football record, prior to this season . . . 

Newcastle United - Completer European Football Record to 2019_zpsopqvx7al.jpg

36 minutes ago, manorpark said:

This was our European football record, prior to this season . . . 

Newcastle United - Completer European Football Record to 2019_zpsopqvx7al.jpg

That's missing our 12 matches in the Intertoto Cup.

Sure, the Intertoto is shit, but it's competitive European football and counts.

1 hour ago, Chris_R said:

All of our European matches other than Inter Toto ones were at the same or a higher level than their Cup Winners Cup games.  Not sure when the Fairs Cup got demoted. 

42 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

All of our European matches other than Inter Toto ones were at the same or a higher level than their Cup Winners Cup games.  Not sure when the Fairs Cup got demoted. 

My bad. It's late and I thought they'd been in the UEFA for some reason. 

2 hours ago, Bizza said:

They almost qualified in 2004, they had Millwall in the F.A Cup semis and the winner qualified for the UEFA as Man U were already in the Champions League. 

Lost 1-0 :lol:

They turned down Intertoto Cup invites the seasons they finished 7th. The 01/02 one in particular served as a great pre-season for us giving us competitive football and helped us have a good start to the season which we rode to 4th place. Idiots man. 

7 hours ago, Chris_R said:

That's missing our 12 matches in the Intertoto Cup.

Sure, the Intertoto is shit, but it's competitive European football and counts.

Yeah, I have never 'counted' the Intertoto Cup, personally.

I only include the TOP competition (European Cup / Champions League) and the 2ND competition (Fairs Cup / UEFA Cup / Europa League).

Plus the "European Cup Winners Cup" as that was considered a 'major' tournament also, which the Intertoto was definitely NOT !!!

7 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The European Fairs Cup was never 'demoted' (not sure what that means).

In 1971 the name changed to UEFA Cup when UEFA took over the organisation of it.

The Fairs Cup was a much higher quality tournament than it's immediate successor (UEFA Cup) eventually became and the Europa League that it eventually changed to, as in the Fairs Cup days only the one top team from each country went into the European Cup so most of the top teams were in the Fairs Cup.

Nowadays most of those top teams are in the European Cup / Champions League.