sunderland in the EFL

Big River

11 hours ago, Paullow said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973–74_European_Cup_Winners'_Cup#Second_leg_2

As we play Dortmund in the Champions League, It'll be exactly 50 years tomorrow since Sunderland last played in Europe, their 4th match to date.

Several of them, recently, when asked what their biggest regret was ..........

'Not entering the Inter Toto Cup, when they had the chance!'

:mou:

2 hours ago, manorpark said:

The European Fairs Cup was never 'demoted' (not sure what that means).

In 1971 the name changed to UEFA Cup when UEFA took over the organisation of it.

The Fairs Cup was a much higher quality tournament than it's immediate successor (UEFA Cup) eventually became and the Europa League that it eventually changed to, as in the Fairs Cup days only the one top team from each country went into the European Cup so most of the top teams were in the Fairs Cup.

Nowadays most of those top teams are in the European Cup / Champions League.

Someone told me a few year back that UEFA don’t recognise the Fairs Cup as it was a FIFA sponsored competition, don’t know if that’s true or not.

2 hours ago, manorpark said:

In 1971 the name changed to UEFA Cup when UEFA took over the organisation of it.

The Fairs Cup was a much higher quality tournament than it's immediate successor (UEFA Cup) eventually became and the Europa League that it eventually changed to, as in the Fairs Cup days only the one top team from each country went into the European Cup so most of the top teams were in the Fairs Cup.

UEFA didn't recognise the Fairs Cup and the formation  of the UEFA Cup was to stop it.

When we won it we'd finished 10th and got in because there was a ridiculous one club-one city rule, which meant, Everton, Spurs and Arsenal finished above us but didn't qualify. Man Utd were runners up to Man City but qualified for the European Cup as holders.

Edited by madras

10 minutes ago, madras said:

UEFA didn't recognise the Fairs Cup and the formation  of the UEFA Cup was to stop it.

When we won it we'd finished 10th and got in because there was a ridiculous one club-one city rule, which meant, Everton, Spurs and Arsenal finished above us but didn't qualify. Man Utd were runners up to Man City but qualified for the European Cup as holders.

Who cares if UEFA didn't "recognise" the Fairs Cup, perhaps they are just a poor quality organisation.

Historically this UEFA organisation did not organise all European Football Tournaments, they do now.

Despite all your points above, the Fairs Cup was a much better, much more difficult to win "2nd European Tournament" than the UEFA Cup eventually became, for the reasons I stated.

You shouldn't put too much stock in what UEFA ever say, about anything. I think we all know what type of organisation they are.

39 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

Someone told me a few year back that UEFA don’t recognise the Fairs Cup as it was a FIFA sponsored competition, don’t know if that’s true or not.

As said earlier, who cares whether UEFA need new glasses or not??

2 minutes ago, manorpark said:

Who cares if UEFA didn't "recognise" the Fairs Cup, perhaps they are just a poor quality organisation.

Historically this UEFA organisation did not organise all European Football Tournaments, they do now.

Despite all your points above, the Fairs Cup was a much better, much more difficult to win "2nd European Tournament" than the UEFA Cup eventually became, for the reasons I stated.

You shouldn't put too much stock in what UEFA ever say, about anything. I think we all know what type of organisation they are.

All right  take a prozac and think happy things.

1 hour ago, FloydianMag said:

Fuck em. UEFA can get in the bin. Barcelona count it, so I'm certainly counting it.

image.thumb.png.40a8d50c05b59c76bd64e28abd65a743.png

8 hours ago, manorpark said:

Yes, I know that.  That was my point.  The previous poster’s post implied that the Fairs Cup wasn’t equal.

Also: demote/ˌdiːˈməʊt/verbpast tense: demoted; past participle: demoted move (someone) to a lower position or rank, usually as a punishment

1 hour ago, Fezzle said:

My mackem mates claim they have been robbed five games this season, with var they would be a few points clear in 3rd. But yeah fuck that, let's stay midtable and have more noise *

*delete

Insert booos/hockle/shits in the seats