sunderland in the EFL

Big River

9 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Boro have finished ahead of them more often than not for coming up 100years now, pretty dominant in recent times (since the 60s) 35-18.

Aye but the Redcar Reds play in North Yorkshire, so Sunderland still don’t get overtaken by them for NETD.

18 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Aye but the Redcar Reds play in North Yorkshire, so Sunderland still don’t get overtaken by them for NETD.

Its a reflection of their general status and achievements relative to a club like Boro.

17 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Sunderland’s continuing presence in the lower leagues next season means that for those of us born in 1982 they will have spent more than half our lifetimes outside the top flight.

I propose that they aren’t stuck there - it’s their natural home :) 

I was born in 1969 and they've spent more time out the top flight in my lifetime.

41 minutes ago, The Fountain said:

For a team full of £10m-£30m players they're pretty shite.

Give over ...Clarke is worth about 60m and better than Gordon. So I've heard. Must be missing something myself as I don't see his goal output or help being great. Know Neil, and he thinks RTG is hilarious

18 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Sunderland’s continuing presence in the lower leagues next season means that for those of us born in 1982 they will have spent more than half our lifetimes outside the top flight.

I propose that they aren’t stuck there - it’s their natural home :) 

You have to be at least 74 to have been alive when Sunderland haven't spent the majority of seasons out the top flight 

2 hours ago, The Fountain said:

You have to be at least 74 to have been alive when Sunderland haven't spent the majority of seasons out the top flight 

What's the stats for the last 40 years? Seasons in/out top flight for us and them?

17 minutes ago, huss9 said:

watmore, bent, gayle, mitro.... who else has come back to haunt them?

mandron, frazer campbell, grabban, leadbitter, darul murphy too.

3 hours ago, The Fountain said:

Not *quite* true.

Anyone born from 1994 to 2010 could say they've lived through Sunderland being in the top flight more than outside it.

Outside of that range though, you're right and you have to go back to people born in or before 1950. (Yes I'm bored, but Excel meant it really only took about 5 minutes)

From 1891 to 1958 they were ever-present in the top flight. They have history - Just not in the memories of anyone who also can't remember Hitler's bombing raids.

Just for fun I've just checked ours, and there's nobody who has lived under Newcastle being outside the PL more than in it. Even if you were born in 1892, you'd still not be able to say that.

It's not even close for any birth year. Closest I can find is people born in the mid-30s or late 70s, but even then for those people it's not even close to parity.

10 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Not *quite* true.

Anyone born from 1994 to 2010 could say they've lived through Sunderland being in the top flight more than outside it.

Outside of that range though, you're right and you have to go back to people born in or before 1950. (Yes I'm bored, but Excel meant it really only took about 5 minutes)

From 1891 to 1958 they were ever-present in the top flight. They have history - Just not in the memories of anyone who also can't remember Hitler's bombing raids.

Incredible to think that their most recent spell under the much-loathed Ellis Short was their second-longest unbroken term in the top flight - ten seasons 

1 hour ago, Chris_R said:

Not *quite* true.

Yes - although Sunderland actually joined the league in 1890. By season 1957-58 Sunderland had clocked up more seasons in the top flight than any other and were the last of the 19th century clubs to be relegated. They didn't just survive in the top division either - before that relegation season they had finished in the top 12 of the league 84% of the time and the top 5 

43% of the time. Quite remarkable consistency for the time and Sunderland had by far the best record in the league. 

Of course the illegal payments scandal and subsequent relegation was the end of Sunderland's status as one of the true giants of English football.

3 hours ago, TomYam said:

Yes - although Sunderland actually joined the league in 1890. By season 1957-58 Sunderland had clocked up more seasons in the top flight than any other and were the last of the 19th century clubs to be relegated. They didn't just survive in the top division either - before that relegation season they had finished in the top 12 of the league 84% of the time and the top 5 

43% of the time. Quite remarkable consistency for the time and Sunderland had by far the best record in the league. 

Of course the illegal payments scandal and subsequent relegation was the end of Sunderland's status as one of the true giants of English football.

Yep - there is no argument that certainly before WWII, Sunderland were one of the biggest clubs in England 

Watched the game, for my sins, yesterday. 

Apart from Ginger Duncan scoring the winner, George Honeyman had a decent game. 

Had the Millwall comms on 2nd half and they kept calling O'9... O'Neen 

I'd be annoyed if I cared 😂

1 hour ago, Groundhog63 said:

Watched the game, for my sins, yesterday. 

Apart from Ginger Duncan scoring the winner, George Honeyman had a decent game. 

Had the Millwall comms on 2nd half and they kept calling O'9... O'Neen 

I'd be annoyed if I cared 😂

Onion?