sunderland in the EFL

Big River

1 minute ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Mate, we all loved Ashley at the start

Football fans are fickle, it's not uniquely Mackem behaviour 

He made himself popular by sacking Allardyce and bringing back Keegan. It lasted a few months then his true colours emerged which caused the change in supporters mood. He didn't invest a penny of his own money in the club. He bled it dry. Ellis Short ploughed in 100s of £millions of his own cash into Sunderland to give them their longest unbroken top flight run in the top flight since the 1950s. He deserved more appreciation. The 2 owners don't compare in terms of their investment or intentions.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Probably because I'd have to be braindead not to.

If you're gonna make up shite and double down because you haven't got the humility to hold your hands up and just say you misread a post, I'll respond to it.

I didn't misread anything. You said this place is like RTG and I corrected you and gave some good examples of why it isn't, but still you dig [emoji38]

Just now, Wallsendmag said:

He made himself popular by sacking Allardyce and bringing back Keegan. It lasted a few months then his true colours emerged which caused the change in supporters mood. He didn't invest a penny of his own money in the club. He bled it dry. Ellis Short ploughed in 100s of £millions of his own cash into Sunderland to give them their longest unbroken top flight run in the top flight since the 1950s. He deserved more appreciation. The 2 owners don't compare in terms of their investment or intentions.

I totally understand why the fans turned on Ashley, for me the Keegan moment was it, for others it was probably a bit later.

Also, as comparisons you'll get no arguments from me that he was the worst.

However, I just think it's harsh to say they are fickle cos they changed their mind towards him when we've done the exact same with Ashley and also numerous examples with players too.

7 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Mate, we all loved Ashley at the start

Football fans are fickle, it's not uniquely Mackem behaviour 

I fucking didn’t, and neither did anyone I know.  Chugging pints in the away end and bringing back a KK well past his sell-by date as a manager made most of us nervous, not excited.

I can’t speak for anyone outside of me and my mates, but the day KK returned as manager coincided with a mate’s 30th.  There was a big group of lads out with him - all NUFC supporters - and only one of them was genuinely excited.  The rest of us were nervous as it suggested a thin-skinned man desperate to appease and a man with fuck all knowledge of football. 

The makem will be laughing his cock end off at you all arguing amongst yourselves.

Don't know why you fall for it, not as if it doesn't happen every time a makem comes on here.

As I said earlier, he's only here to get sly little digs in about Newcastle.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

And so as I said, learn to read. :lol: 

You literally deleted the bit you supposedly haven't read like, so you know it's there.

You literally said on page 403 that this is "exactly the same craic as RTG" and that this place "just all seems like RTG to me like".  If that's you not saying the 2 boards are comparable then that's fair enough but you should be able to see how people could make that conclusion.

5 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

You literally said on page 403 that this is "exactly the same craic as RTG" and that this place "just all seems like RTG to me like".  If that's you not saying the 2 boards are comparable then that's fair enough but you should be able to see how people could make that conclusion.

You're off your tits :lol: citing posts you've failed to read.

"Your little mustache is like Hitler's"

You: "Look at this idiot, he's saying I did the holocaust"

Guest reefatoon
9 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

He has history of it. He did the same thing yesterday too. Spouts some bollocks then blames everyone else for not reading it properly [emoji38]

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

You're off your tits :lol: citing posts you've failed to read.

"Your little mustache is like Hitler's"

You: "Look at this idiot, he's saying I did the holocaust"

What absolute nonsense you've posted on here tonight. Incredibly this latest piece isn't even at the top [emoji38]

34 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Whilst I can't argue at the fact he gave us our longest unbroken top flight run since the 50's, the majority of it was scraping relegation, survival and misery.

Short bought the club from Quinns consortium who managed to get us back into the Premiership and had Keane as manager which seemed the perfect fit. Short seemed to just chuck money at it in the hope something worked, He continiously made bad decisions by appointing wrong people in the boardroom and wrong key decision makers which ultimatley resulted in bad players on huge wages.

Whilst Short wiped the debt from the club it was his doing so that created the mess in the first place, He also wiped it because nobody would have touched it with a bargepole, Hence why it was flogged to two dell-boys with the clubs own parachute money who looked to flip it for a quick profit.

Short left the club to rot by the end, He gave up on almost everything to the point we had no scouting system, youth coaches had left and gone elsewhere, He asked Martin Bain to asset strip anything for money once we were relegated from the Premiership. I'm sure we didn't even have a club doctor for half a season at one point in the Championship. The funds and squad he left Grayson with for the Championship season was nothing short of a disgrace, He made no attempt to salvage the club from Championship relegation in the January window either and we ultimatley went down. He didn't even bother to ring Chris Coleman to welcome him as the manager and never spoke to him once during his reign.

His intentions started off well, He was then out of his depth, badly advised and ultimatley threw the towel in with little respect or dignity in trying to salvage the club as it snowballed into obscurity.

I get he wiped the debt, but he was left with little to no choice really, it was either that or see the entire club go bust completely.

Edited by TeddySAFC

Just now, TeddySAFC said:

Whilst I can't argue at the fact he gave us our longest unbroken top flight run since the 50's, the majority of it was scraping relegation, survival and misery.

Short bought the club from Quinns consortium who managed to get us back into the Premiership and had Keane as manager which seemed the perfect fit. Short seemed to just chuck money at it in the hope something worked, He continiously made bad decisions by appointing wrong people in the boardroom and wrong key decision makers which ultimatley resulted in bad players on huge wages.

Whilst Short wiped the debt from the club it was his doing so that created the mess in the first place, He also wiped it because nobody would have touched it with a bargepole, Hence why it was flogged to two dell-boys with the clubs own parachute money who looked to flip it for a quick profit.

Short left the club to rot by the end, He gave on almost everything to the point we had no scouting system, youth coaches had left and gone elsewhere, He asked Martin Bain to asset strip anything for money once we were relegated from the Premiership. I'm sure we didn't even have a club doctor for half a season at one point in the Championship. The funds and squad he left Grayson with for the Championship season was nothing short of a disgrace, He made no attempt to salvage the club from Championship relegation in the January window either and we ultimatley went down. He didn't even bother to ring Chris Coleman to welcome him as the manager and never spoke to him once during his reign.

His intentions started off well, He was then out of his depth, badly advised and ultimatley threw the towel in with little respect or dignity in trying to salvage the club as it snowballed into obscurity.

I get he wiped the debt, but he was left with little to no choice really, it was either that or see the entire club go bust completely.

So he gave you your longest unbroken top flight spell since the 50s, saved you from going bust and let's not forget 6 in a row marra. All things considered he was a very good owner for Sunderland. Yes for most of the time you were towards the bottom but that's still better than Sunderlands historical natural position. I think you've only had 3 top ten top flight finishes in the last 65 years.

31 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I fucking didn’t, and neither did anyone I know.  Chugging pints in the away end and bringing back a KK well past his sell-by date as a manager made most of us nervous, not excited.

I can’t speak for anyone outside of me and my mates, but the day KK returned as manager coincided with a mate’s 30th.  There was a big group of lads out with him - all NUFC supporters - and only one of them was genuinely excited.  The rest of us were nervous as it suggested a thin-skinned man desperate to appease and a man with fuck all knowledge of football. 

Well, I'll clarify then, the majority of the fanbase loved Ashley 

32 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yeah, I've said before but I vividly recall listening to the Legends phone in at work that night and the vibe was cautious, which matched my own, having never heard of him and recall a caller (from Ashington) painting a picture of how it would go if this Ashley fella was a chancer. And so it did.

The very first window was one in one out and Allardyce playing Harper up front in a friendly to prove a point. The one thing he did that caused me some optimism was appoint Keegan. The rest is history.

1 minute ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Well, I'll clarify then, the majority of the fanbase loved Ashley 

The younger supporters did with his exploits in the likes of Blu Bambu etc. I think you'll find many the older generation were always a bit suspicious of him. Certainly my dad and his mates were and I still remember to this day being in the Three Bulls when Keegan was announced as returning as manager we were playing Stoke at home and the words I heard most from them were "publicity stunt". I will admit however that I was excited as were plenty others that night but my recollection was that it certainly wasn't universal. 

14 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

So he gave you your longest unbroken top flight spell since the 50s, saved you from going bust and let's not forget 6 in a row marra. All things considered he was a very good owner for Sunderland. Yes for most of the time you were towards the bottom but that's still better than Sunderlands historical natural position. I think you've only had 3 top ten top flight finishes in the last 65 years.

You can have your opinion, I’ll have mine.

17 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Yeah, I've said before but I vividly recall listening to the Legends phone in at work that night and the vibe was cautious, which matched my own, having never heard of him and recall a caller (from Ashington) painting a picture of how it would go if this Ashley fella was a chancer. And so it did.

The very first window was one in one out and Allardyce playing Harper up front in a friendly to prove a point. The one thing he did that caused me some optimism was appoint Keegan. The rest is history.

15 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

The younger supporters did with his exploits in the likes of Blu Bambu etc. I think you'll find many the older generation were always a bit suspicious of him. Certainly my dad and his mates were and I still remember to this day being in the Three Bulls when Keegan was announced as returning as manager we were playing Stoke at home and the words I heard most from them were "publicity stunt". I will admit however that I was excited as were plenty others that night but my recollection was that it certainly wasn't universal. 

Yep, both comments are reflective of my experience

I’m sure it doesn’t need clarifying, but I will anyway - even though I didn’t want Keegan to return, I was apoplectic at Ashley’s treatment of a man who to me saved and then rebuilt NUFC, giving me so many happy memories.  I despise Ashley for the way KK was undermined and then constructively dismissed. 

Fair, hope you stick around,:thup:

Pretty sure the consensus on here is you should take notice of what fan's say about their own clubs,  something like that anyway, we'll see.

For context I'm from Peterlee  so have load's of SAFC mates and only one of them is a total dick. RTG is reprehensible but it's not really representative of Sunderland supporters IMO.

To Teddy btw.

Edited by Doc

3 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

It was class! Pong? Played it again, pretty much non stop, on an 8 hour Emirates flight a few years ago. Note to self: find that game! 

Atari classic. Pong, tennis and squash. Christ you could even change the bat size AND the speed. 

Glitzy

Think we got this in 75ish. Year after they bought me a Peter Powell (not the DJ) fucking stunt kite and a fucking Roget's Thersaurus. 

A monumental disappointing festive season that one. Cunts 

2 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Atari classic. Pong, tennis and squash. Christ you could even change the bat size AND the speed. 

Glitzy

Think we got this in 75ish. Year after they bought me a Peter Powell (not the DJ) fucking stunt kite and a fucking Roget's Thersaurus. 

A monumental disappointing festive season that one. Cunts 

Your parents were ahead of the game, early ‘IT’ (ish…) implementers, and basically reached the pressie-peak the year before (especially if there was an action man, Little Big Man, or box of Airfix Afrika Korps to pad out your pillow case!) Ungrateful git 😉

The rtg match thread last night is a wonderful read.

Full of bitterness, hatred, fear and pure jealousy.

It also has this classic from the lunatic NUFC obsessed "sportwahing" author excile who wondered off his own thread to post...

"City will do them"  

[emoji38]

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/nufc-v-leicester-kick-off-2000-sky-sports-football-•-sky-sports-main-event-•-sky-sports-main-event-ultra-hdr.1597763/page-29

5 minutes ago, Dancing Brave said:

The rtg match thread last night is a wonderful read.

Full of bitterness, hatred, fear and pure jealousy.

It also has this classic from the lunatic NUFC obsessed "sportwahing" author excile who wondered off his own thread to post...

"City will do them"  

[emoji38]

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/nufc-v-leicester-kick-off-2000-sky-sports-football-•-sky-sports-main-event-•-sky-sports-main-event-ultra-hdr.1597763/page-29

They're arguing amongst themselves for the % odds that we draw one of the Manchester clubs :lol: