General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Georgiadis, Maric and Domi.

Geoegiadis was terrible, Maric was too, but he just never really settled and should have been much better. Domi was good for us, just didn't like the city and took the first chance to get back to Paris. Odd that he rocked up in Leeds a few years later

Cordone started like a train, a bit later had one of the best assists I’ve seen from a Newcastle player (Goma away at Boro), lost his place in the team, then took part in a few of Bobby’s random triple substitutions. Don’t think he played much second half of the season?

Tomasson too...looked really special in pre season, then totally lost his nerve after missing an easy chance in the first league game. Yes circumstances were against him but seeing how good he got later always made me a bit sad

Guest neesy111

Acuna left because of family problems didn't he?

Mother got ill I believe, he wasn't used enough though at the end of his time here.

It was a funny season, 00/01. 

First season with the increased capacity and too many of the signings didn't work out.  Bassedas, Cordone, Gavilan, Cort - none of them much cop for one reason or another.  Remember Mick Wadsworth getting a lot of flack as the perception was he was recommending the South American players.  Shearer was mostly injured too.

Tbh Robson was lucky (and therefore we were lucky) that Bellamy and Robert ended up being such transformative signings as it might have all gone south if not.

Guest neesy111

It was a funny season, 00/01. 

First season with the increased capacity and too many of the signings didn't work out.  Bassedas, Cordone, Gavilan, Cort - none of them much cop for one reason or another.  Remember Mick Wadsworth getting a lot of flack as the perception was he was recommending the South American players.  Shearer was mostly injured too.

Tbh Robson was lucky (and therefore we were lucky) that Bellamy and Robert ended up being such transformative signings as it might have all gone south if not.

Yeah we were much better in 99/00 than 00/01.

Whatever happened to Clarence Acuna and Des Hamilton?

Des Hamilton....now there was a massive let down. England U-21 international, pretty good reputation, comes here and made Fumaca look good.

Clarence Acuna was a total mystery though. I think of him a bit like Sibierski....no one that arsed with him signing, no fan-fare or hype, slight disappointment that a better player wasn't signed.....Pretty decent when he did play, just never really seemed to be able to fix a starting place. Would walk into the current side though. Plus he got busted while driving dressed as a pirate so that's instant cult hero stuff.

SBR knew what he wanted, just because his first choices (Zenden and Jeffers) didn't come here and flopped at other places, doesn't mean that they would have flopped here.

Anyone remember Paul Dalglish? :lol: He scored one goal, I think.

Whatever happened to Clarence Acuna and Des Hamilton?

Des Hamilton....now there was a massive let down. England U-21 international, pretty good reputation, comes here and made Fumaca look good.

Clarence Acuna was a total mystery though. I think of him a bit like Sibierski....no one that arsed with him signing, no fan-fare or hype, slight disappointment that a better player wasn't signed.....Pretty decent when he did play, just never really seemed to be able to fix a starting place. Would walk into the current side though. Plus he got busted while driving dressed as a pirate so that's instant cult hero stuff.

Loads of clubs wanted Acuna. I thought he was off to Man United before we signed him?

I always preferred Acuna over Speed tbh. Nowt against Speed I just thought Acuna brought more balance especially when we’d play Dyer through the centre and then later signed Jenas.

Did think the was better than Speed at the time, just a totally unheralded and underwhelming signing at the time. Was just like he showed up one day and was told to play...think he said same in an interview a few days ago

I recall Speed being really poor when we first signed him.

Speaking of Everton signings; I also remember being furious we'd wasted money on Duncan Ferguson at the time, too. Loved him in the end.

Did Kenny not start him left-midfield? He seemed to get better at the end of the 98/99 season when him and Hamann partnered each other.

Definitely spent some time out wide aye. Remember thinking he was pretty poor, his short game passing in particular was dreadful at first.