General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Guest neesy111

On the topic of random defenders, does anyone know why Helder wasn't more of a success here? Established international who played for top clubs, but didn't make an impact here.

He was a success and we wanted to sign him after the loan deal, but couldn't agree a deal.

That season was class from September onwards. From the Sheff Wed game on matchday 8 we had the 6th best record in the league. Remember Domi seemingly setting up shitloads of assists for Shearer, Dabizas scoring a fair few, the kick-off where Speed, Shearer & Ferguson would start on the touch line together and we’d play it back to Nobby to float a ball out to them to bully the full-backs in the air from centre. Probably would have won that cup too if VAR had existed.

On the topic of random defenders, does anyone know why Helder wasn't more of a success here? Established international who played for top clubs, but didn't make an impact here.

He was a success and we wanted to sign him after the loan deal, but couldn't agree a deal.

:thup:

Guest chopey

Was Helder our first African born player? I can’t remember any before

Kenny Wharton was born in Cameroon

Was Kenny Wharton the guy that looked 30 when was 20 and 30 when he was 50 ?

Think Robson was actually quite a bit more ruthless with players back then too. Piss him off and out the door, there weren't many that survived his wrath back then...only Solano comes to mind with his international duties, and he was talented enough to get away with it.

Dumas, Domi, Cordone, Goma, Marcelino despite being (mostly) decent players were shipped out at the first sign of discontent whatever it was. Didn't Domi want to leave as he thought Newcastle was too decadent for his religious lifestyle or something

So many players I really liked but can't remember how good/shit they were. Helder being one of them.

Pistone

Bassedas

Gavilan

Cordone

Glass

Worked his socks off though.  I always liked him because despite being utterly rubbish at football he always tried his best.

Genuinely thought Gavilan was going to be a world beater too :lol:

He had the name to become a great at least :lol:

Worked his socks off though.  I always liked him because despite being utterly rubbish at football he always tried his best.

Genuinely thought Gavilan was going to be a world beater too :lol:

He had the name to become a great at least :lol:

I wonder where Estaban Lopez is. We failed him.

So many players I really liked but can't remember how good/shit they were. Helder being one of them.

Pistone - Had a mixed time, a lot spent injured, but then was good for a few games, then dire for a few more. He was starting to come good again when sold to Everton. Similar to Santon in a lot of ways.

Bassedas - Injured in a preseaon game and never really got going. Never really did anything standout, but was never terrible either

Gavilan - Should have been brilliant, and had some good games just could never really handle the physicality. Similar story to Viana really, just had better players in his preferred position

Cordone - A couple of memorable goals, but other than that just seemed to run around a bit and look scary without doing much

Glass - Another one ruined by injuries in his time here. Gouffran reminded me of him a bit

Cordone started like a train, a bit later had one of the best assists I’ve seen from a Newcastle player (Goma away at Boro), lost his place in the team, then took part in a few of Bobby’s random triple substitutions. Don’t think he played much second half of the season?

Cordone started like a train, a bit later had one of the best assists I’ve seen from a Newcastle player (Goma away at Boro), lost his place in the team, then took part in a few of Bobby’s random triple substitutions. Don’t think he played much second half of the season?

8 minutes 55 on a random 13 minute highlight reel if you search Daniel Cordone video on Google. On 7 minutes there’s almost a replica of the assist against Chelsea. Quality technique on the crosses!

Guest neesy111

Am I right in thinking Cordone's ear studs were soldered in or something, so he couldn't remove them?  :lol:

I think they were initially, but then he had to get them removed.