Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

40 minutes ago, madras said:

If he goes there could be trouble.

We are unable to judge just how good Ashworth is at the moment. From a scouting/recruitment point of view all of our best transfers; Bruno, Botman and Isak were sorted before he arrived. His two main transfer windows have been underwhelming. Livramento and Gordon being the only good signings. Jury is out on Hall, Tonali and Barnes. If he is setting the recruitment strategy, we have clearly missed out on some excellent signings at other clubs ie. Paulinha, Kudus, Paqueta, Diaby, Boubacar Kamara, Jao Pedro, Maddinson, van de Ven ….

The medical department is a shambles with our treatment of injured players and injury list in general. 

It isnt clear right now whether Ashworth is a success or not, we won’t know for 5 years or so. 

29 minutes ago, aussiemag said:

We are unable to judge just how good Ashworth is at the moment. From a scouting/recruitment point of view all of our best transfers; Bruno, Botman and Isak were sorted before he arrived. His two main transfer windows have been underwhelming. Livramento and Gordon being the only good signings. Jury is out on Hall, Tonali and Barnes. If he is setting the recruitment strategy, we have clearly missed out on some excellent signings at other clubs ie. Paulinha, Kudus, Paqueta, Diaby, Boubacar Kamara, Jao Pedro, Maddinson, van de Ven ….

The medical department is a shambles with our treatment of injured players and injury list in general. 

It isnt clear right now whether Ashworth is a success or not, we won’t know for 5 years or so. 

Its also not clear that the medical depth is a shambles. Statistically some club will get it worse than others.

As you say we won't know for a while yet, we don't even know if it's a success its down to him. We don't know how much control he has.

In that fans engagement meeting thing, he described his day to day role as "partly tracksuit with the team, and partly business suit for the boardroom"

whatever that means

50 minutes ago, patrone said:

In that fans engagement meeting thing, he described his day to day role as "partly tracksuit with the team, and partly business suit for the boardroom"

whatever that means

He's a little bit Bridget, a little bit Ally, a little bit Sex in the city.

HMHB.

I've never really understood what Ashworth does to get the credit he receives. Brighton already had much of their framework in place before he went there, and have coped fine in his absence. And as was mentioned above, most of our best signings were also either made or already being pursued prior to his arrival. 

Not saying he's shite and I'm sure the hype is there for a reason, but in terms of our success last season, his input can only have been absolutely fractional at best. 

https://trainingground.guru/articles/dan-ashworth-inside-the-mind-of-a-technical-director

I may have posted this before, but it's worth a re-post given the current discussion. I think if you listen to this you can help to understand what Ashworth's role is and how he envisions a club setup. He likens himself to the hub of a wheel and the spokes are each department - medical, scouting, academy, first team, women's team, business - who all report to him. He then fashions a strategy to maximise all of those areas in keeping with the desires and goals of the owners. 

By all accounts he's a brilliant manager of people and departments, and I think it is to his credit rather than to his detriment that Brighton is continuing so well, that would indicate that the systems he put in place and oversaw are working well even as he himself has departed. I think he's putting all of that into place here and there's a lot more to it than simply the transfer strategy window to window. It seems to me he's putting a much more coherent system in place for the long-term, but that will certainly mean that there are short-term ups and downs.

2 minutes ago, Memphis said:

https://trainingground.guru/articles/dan-ashworth-inside-the-mind-of-a-technical-director

I may have posted this before, but it's worth a re-post given the current discussion. I think if you listen to this you can help to understand what Ashworth's role is and how he envisions a club setup. He likens himself to the hub of a wheel and the spokes are each department - medical, scouting, academy, first team, women's team, business - who all report to him. He then fashions a strategy to maximise all of those areas in keeping with the desires and goals of the owners. 

By all accounts he's a brilliant manager of people and departments, and I think it is to his credit rather than to his detriment that Brighton is continuing so well, that would indicate that the systems he put in place and oversaw are working well even as he himself has departed. I think he's putting all of that into place here and there's a lot more to it than simply the transfer strategy window to window. It seems to me he's putting a much more coherent system in place for the long-term, but that will certainly mean that there are short-term ups and downs.

Of which, in our case, we had no system in place, no hierarchy, no back office teams, bare bones in every single department, no cohesion whatsoever.  Building it essentially from the ground up. 

*just wait until the pile-on that it was actually and still actually is Tony Bloom's doing at Brighton. 

Edited by Kanji

Just now, Kanji said:

Of which, in our case, we had no system in place, no hierarchy, no back office teams, bare bones in every single department, no cohesion whatsoever. 

*just wait until the pile-on that it was actually and still actually is Tony Bloom's doing at Brighton. 

Exactly. The man was starting from absolutely square fucking one. We barely had any departments and like fuck did we have a structure or a culture in place. So, yeah, it's going to take time - I'm quite sure the owners are thrilled with what he's been doing.

3 hours ago, patrone said:

whatever that means

We’re like one big organism, one big animal. Yeah? The guys upstairs on the phone – they’re the mouth. The guys down here, the hands.

And what part is Dan Ashworth ?

Good question. Probably the humour.

Edited by bobbydazzla

I'm not sure if he's been offered a pay rise but Man Utd seems very toxic just now and I can't see a bloke buying 25% helps that. They would have to sack all the backroom team and start again, FFP must add to the issues as well, how much more can Man Utd even squeeze from sponsor deals ? 

8 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

We’re like one big organism, one big animal. Yeah? The guys upstairs on the phone – they’re the mouth. The guys down here, the hands.

And what part is Dan Ashworth ?

Good question. Probably the humour.

Getting out of hand this now. 

On 28/12/2023 at 15:10, manorpark said:

I lived in Cockneyland for quite a few years and they just do not understand English down there. They think that they 'talk' in English down there, but they can only be understood fully by eachother !!

I do love comments like this, it's just a dumb as saying all northerners wear flat caps and have a pet whippet.

Edited by Bimpy474

8 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

I do love comments like this, it's just a dumb as saying all northerners wear flat caps and have a pet whippet.

Sorry, what's that ? Didn't understand a word. Was it English ?

The club before ashworth where laughed at in player discussions and struggled to get deals done. Since he came in we get these deals done and quick soon as a fee is agreed. A bit of professionalism for once. 

Just now, andycap said:

The club before ashworth where laughed at in player discussions and struggled to get deals done. Since he came in we get these deals done and quick soon as a fee is agreed. A bit of professionalism for once. 

And he’s refreshingly laid back for a man with such responsibility.