Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

2 minutes ago, SteV said:

Burn did actually also say that living away from the area has taught him to slow his accent down a bit, especially when talking to foreign lads. However, when Dummett is speaking to Tonali or Bruno they clearly don’t get a word of it.

Happened to me when I moved away for the majority of my teens from the age of 12. Quickly realised that very few could understand a muttering little radgie from the Felling in the midland countryside.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

The Tonali signing - if we had better intelligence, we would've heard whispers I'm sure.

If an England international was involved in betting and talking to teammates about it. I would expect one of Trippier, Pope & Wilson and their camps to at least heard rumours and possibly alert the club to the smoke.

He was the alleged "ringleader" - multiple people did know for a fact. The club should question itself about how good our due diligence is.

In the scenario above with an England international, more the case that the club would talk to the agent to seek assurances that there isn't any incriminating evidence before going ahead with the transfer. Young lads, loads of money and time, betting will be rife in the game. 

39 minutes ago, macphisto said:

In the scenario above with an England international, more the case that the club would talk to the agent to seek assurances that there isn't any incriminating evidence before going ahead with the transfer. Young lads, loads of money and time, betting will be rife in the game. 

I assume the same applies to any international. 

If Tonali was doing an Ivan Toney in private. No blame to the club.  But multiple people and parties did know. Just not us. 

Do we even know if Ashworth is involved in the scouting and the contracts?
We have a head of scouting and we have a legal team. I thought Ashworth is the person these depts report to, not the person doing those actual jobs. 

3 minutes ago, Lotus said:

We have a head of scouting and we have a legal team. I thought Ashworth is the person these depts report to, not the person doing those actual jobs. 

He’s been scapegoated for it now. There’s no turning back.

12 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Aye I would expect they report into him but he is ultimately responsible for them if they report into him.   I don’t think he’s ultimately responsible for transfers but he is one of the key decision makers for them. 

Im not blaming Ashworth for it btw. 

4 hours ago, madras said:

I had to do that for work. However when the lads are together it's different. We were asked by some young Americans when in the Lakes last summer what language we were speaking.

Several years ago we had a vendor over for a week from London. I was working with him all week with the product we had purchased, getting it setup. I asked him "Do you Englishman have trouble understanding the Scottish like we do"?

He said, "I was in a train station in Newcastle and a couple old guys were chatting and I couldn't understand a word, was like a different language".

40 minutes ago, McDog said:

Several years ago we had a vendor over for a week from London. I was working with him all week with the product we had purchased, getting it setup. I asked him "Do you Englishman have trouble understanding the Scottish like we do"?

He said, "I was in a train station in Newcastle and a couple old guys were chatting and I couldn't understand a word, was like a different language".

I lived in Cockneyland for quite a few years and they just do not understand English down there. They think that they 'talk' in English down there, but they can only be understood fully by eachother !!

Assuming Dan Ashworth stays (which is not certain) his role (assuming he’s doing the same thing as at previous clubs) is mainly to have a setup of total continuity, that means the club, not the manager, has a clear DNA of how it’s going to approach things tactically, and from a recruitment perspective.

The problem he’ll be having now is that Eddie Howe has a certain way he wants to do things but they don’t always work, or perhaps they did work and now our opponents have adjusted. So the idea of a clear DNA can’t be nailed down when we don’t have the infrastructure to really test the idea.

When Brighton changed managers the changes were minor adjustments and they have a setup now where no matter who leaves, there’s a replacement lined up. Whether that’s a manager or the players.

I don’t see that in us yet but for whatever reason is unclear at the moment, he wasn’t at Brighton all that long after all.

I’d like this story to fuck off. Ashworth can stay or go but uncertainty and column inches aren’t good for us. Hope this gets resolved before the end of the month