Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

This has a feeling of inevitability about it, seems to he too much noise. It also seems like the contract wranglings/gardening leave could get messy if/when it happens. If he doesn’t want to stay though, so be it not that he’s confirmed or denied anything yet. I’m sure we’ll find a suitable replacement but it’d be a shame if he goes. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

I think his loss would be unfortunate but probably over exaggerated. There’s other directors out there who’ve been successful and I’m confident we’ll get someone capable. 

I’m more disappointed he appears to be jumping ship without actually achieving anything here. He’s clearly been twerking for that Man U role for a while given the leaks and its clearly a step up in role for someone like him. 

It does potentially raise a question about the scope of our Saudi project if he’s prepared to leave something like that for majority Glazers owned club. 

1 minute ago, FloydianMag said:

So ambitious staff move on to bigger clubs, players will also do the same and it says everything about the club.

The basic plan is that there will eventually be NO bigger club than Newcastle United.

It seems inevitable to me that this will happen, but we face many (often deliberate and specific) obstacles put in our way, so it will take a long time.

We will get there.

It'd be a blow having such a key member of staff leave, but this has been months in the making, so you'd like to think we'd have a replacement lined-up should it go ahead. Michael Edwards would be dreamland, but he's just turned Liverpool down so not sure how plausible that is. 

He's not really been here long enough to reap the full benefits of his work, but he's obviously highly thought of in the industry. I hope he stays, but Brighton have done just fine without him, we will too providing we get his successor right.

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Senior staff moving between clubs happens quite regularly.

They do, however not with the kind of media attention that’s on us, granted it’s largely because it’s Man U. Not a good look especially if he’s not replaced by someone of equal ability and reputation. Couple of months back the former DoF at Bournemouth was mentioned, I fucking hope not!!

Edited by FloydianMag

6 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Being linked with the guy from Bournemouth agains this morning to replace Ashworth 

He’ll be the favourite for the job and been at Bournemouth since 2014 so will know Howe well.

Been strongly linked with Liverpool job as well.

Don’t think it makes a blind bit of difference re NUFC’s standing in all honesty.  Anyone who thinks we share standing with MUFC is borderline delusional, irrespective of where we’d like to get to.  Ashworth left Brighton for us - did Brighton’s standing change in anyone’s eyes?  They don’t seem to be suffering his loss.  I think some of this is being overstated. 

The links to the Bournemouth bloke are more of a concern, frankly.  It’s already a bit iffy that Howe gets his relatives onboard. 

It’s obviously a stretch to say his old mate from down south being his appointment but bloody hell the alarm bells should be ringing IF we were to appoint him. 

Literally putting the cart before the horse in classic NUFC fashion. 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

It’s obviously a stretch to say his old mate from down south being his appointment but bloody hell the alarm bells should be ringing IF we were to appoint him. 

Literally putting the cart before the horse in classic NUFC fashion. 

Yep.  You’d want your DoF to have a good working relationship with the manager, but you don’t want an ‘old pals act’

Think Brailsford also being pals with Ashworth can’t be underestimated, he’ll undoubtedly have been in his ear.

Be interesting to see if Te Hag gets the bullet whether he’d come calling for Howe as well in the future.

Thats why I’d be very wary just appointing his replacement on the basis that he can work with Eddie, we need to source the best replacement for the long term aims.

Just now, Whitley mag said:

Think Brailsford also being pals with Ashworth can’t be underestimated, he’ll undoubtedly have been in his ear.

Be interesting to see if Te Hag gets the bullet whether he’d come calling for Howe as well in the future.

Thats why I’d be very wary just appointing his replacement on the basis that he can work with Eddie, we need to source the best replacement for the long term aims.

There’s zero chance Howe gets offered the Man Utd job at the present moment.  I can’t see them not wanting an elite manager when ETH goes. 

2 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

I am not sure he has done anything of note thus far to justify being upset about his potential departure.

Any idea of the competition we paid Brighton for him?

5m is the rumour. 

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

What's the deal with the Bournemouth geezer, is he not very good?

Nepotism central is the issue as it was with the appointment of Eddie’s nephew. 

also shows a distinct lack of both ambition. We need someone who has both a great contact book as well as experience competing at the highest level. 

Edited by r0cafella