Nick Pope: "on track" for return before end of season (Hope)

Rich

I don't think he's particularly at fault for either goal but he didn't exactly cover himself in glory either. 

The first he probably doesn't save even without being in no man's land but I've no idea wtf he thought he was doing. 

The second he obviously should have caught but after that it was a combination of poor defending/good play from wolves.

He's fine for now but before long we'll want an upgrade. 

40 minutes ago, Kanji said:

It’s the flash point though - just like Brighton away. It’s a decision he’s made that puts the entire team into panic stations and we concede. 

But they shouldn’t ‘panic’, watch it back, there was loads of time to recover. Bruno is arguably more at fault, dives in for no reason. We want to compete with the big boys we’ve got to handle those situations better. 

I’m sorry, yes, the defenders should do better 100% but the catch stops all of that. It never happens. The liklihood of pope spilling that ball is far lower than Bruno making a tackle in that situation. 

1 minute ago, Kanji said:

I’m sorry, yes, the defenders should do better 100% but the catch stops all of that. It never happens. The liklihood of pope spilling that ball is far lower than Bruno making a tackle in that situation. 

100%, possible the rain played a part in his decision, who knows. Start to finish it’s a poor goal to concede by all involved, just don’t think Pope should be singled out for it. 

1 hour ago, Elliottman said:

The second goal could and should have been prevented despite the punch. He wasn’t the only one to blame. 

The second goal had numerous errors

From Lascelles conceding a pointless free kick, to the Pope punch, the "defending" from our players that made a CB look like Messi, to Burn lunging in and no staying on his feet

It was a number of errors 

What's frustrating is that we've drawn a game 2-2 in which the opposition didn't create a big chance

1 hour ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

The second goal had numerous errors

From Lascelles conceding a pointless free kick, to the Pope punch, the "defending" from our players that made a CB look like Messi, to Burn lunging in and no staying on his feet

It was a number of errors 

What's frustrating is that we've drawn a game 2-2 in which the opposition didn't create a big chance

I'd say both of their goals were pretty big chances like.

Good to see after four clean sheets in six in the league and single handedly keeping us in two Champions League ties, he's now the worst person to enter SJP since Darren Grimes, for punching a wet ball through a crowd of players.

At least Bruno is being left alone for now.

A different keeper comes for that, takes it cleanly and falls on the ball allowing his team to take 20 seconds to get their breath, composure and positions and nipping the danger in the bud immediately. Pope made the wrong decision and executed it poorly. It's not the end of the world but everything that happens in the following 20 seconds is because of his mistake. It's harsh but that's the level we're at. 

18 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I'm basing it on what the statisticians consider a big chance, both Fotmob/Sofascore had them as 0 big chances whereas we had 4

Fair. 

I do think this is where xG and "big chance" creation falls short of the eye test. Could argue the toss with the second goal, but the first is a free header from circa eight yards.

Edited by The Prophet

2 hours ago, Cf said:

I don't think he's particularly at fault for either goal but he didn't exactly cover himself in glory either. 

The first he probably doesn't save even without being in no man's land but I've no idea wtf he thought he was doing. 

The second he obviously should have caught but after that it was a combination of poor defending/good play from wolves.

He's fine for now but before long we'll want an upgrade. 

An upgrade?

On Nick Pope...

Good luck, that's not a long list

Wait, what? He’s getting stick for us conceding and not some of the clown show defending? :lol: 

Fucking hell. Made a couple of decent saves and some top claims to keep us in it. Decides to punch one and the whole team turn into ice skaters and he’s at fault. Righto. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

1 hour ago, midds said:

A different keeper comes for that, takes it cleanly and falls on the ball allowing his team to take 20 seconds to get their breath, composure and positions and nipping the danger in the bud immediately. Pope made the wrong decision and executed it poorly. It's not the end of the world but everything that happens in the following 20 seconds is because of his mistake. It's harsh but that's the level we're at. 

Which mythical keeper? Sa? Like when he came for it, totally fucked it and we scored? 

Or perhaps Pope a couple of years ago when he tried to claim one, lost it and Wilson scored for our first win of the season? 

When I played, albeit at a much lower level than this. It was always respect the keeper’s decision and not to tell him what he should and shouldn’t be coming for. I know there are exceptions. But based on the schoolboy defending from Bruno, Burn and co after. I really don’t see how this as one of those. 

Just feels like we are going through a mini rough patch at the minute and we are looking for someone to blame. Typical football fans. Fickle as fuck. Myself included!

Edited by Lush Vlad

4 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Which mythical keeper? Sa? Like when he came for it, totally fucked it and we scored? 

Or perhaps Pope a couple of years ago when he tried to claim one, lost it and Wilson scored for our first win of the season? 

When I played, albeit at a much lower level than this. It was always respect the keeper’s decision and not to tell him what he should and shouldn’t be coming for. I know there are exceptions. But based on the schoolboy defending from Bruno, Burn and co after. I really don’t see how this as one of those. 

Just feels like we are going through a mini rough patch at the minute and we are looking for someone to blame. Typical football fans. Fickle as fuck. Myself included!

Was a routine claim for most PL keepers imo, under minimal pressure. He just got it horribly wrong and it cost us a goal, again imo. He's more than capable of catching that fairly comfortably and stopping the danger at source but he decided to punch it and Wolves were attacking the box again 5 seconds later. 

I like Pope and he's been largely great but he was at fault tonight. If people are ok with how he dealt with that cross then fair enough

3 hours ago, Elliottman said:

100%, possible the rain played a part in his decision, who knows. Start to finish it’s a poor goal to concede by all involved, just don’t think Pope should be singled out for it. 

Pope’s been doing this punch instead of catch it, crap for weeks now. Only a matter of time before it cost us.

33 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Like you, I didn’t play at a decent level at all but I was a keeper. 

I was always taught, if you can punch it, you can catch it. You clear anyone out in your way to claim that ball, even if it’s your own player. 

Pope was under no pressure at all, he should have claimed it, simple as that.

4 minutes ago, Cheshire Mag said:

Like you, I didn’t play at a decent level at all but I was a keeper. 

I was always taught, if you can punch it, you can catch it. You clear anyone out in your way to claim that ball, even if it’s your own player. 

Pope was under no pressure at all, he should have claimed it, simple as that.

Like Sa did? He could punch it. So he caught it. But then he didn’t and we scored?

I honestly think we are looking for problems that don’t exist. Overall. I thought we were poor on the night and only got a second from a pen that never was. Didn’t control the game like we should have and left them open on numerous occasions. 

But we always have to have a scapegoat and someone to blame for our collective shitness. I’m guilty of it. I feel like I give Burn, Longstaff and Almiron unnecessary stick at times. But I am just not seeing it here with Pope. 

36 minutes ago, midds said:

Was a routine claim for most PL keepers imo, under minimal pressure. He just got it horribly wrong and it cost us a goal, again imo. He's more than capable of catching that fairly comfortably and stopping the danger at source but he decided to punch it and Wolves were attacking the box again 5 seconds later. 

I like Pope and he's been largely great but he was at fault tonight. If people are ok with how he dealt with that cross then fair enough

He punched a wet ball in a crowded area to almost 30 yards out. I'd blame Bruno, Gordon, and Longstaff more for that goal in the next phase of play. All three were poor in their individual and collective attempt to tackle. Then again, they're probably and understandably shattered and running on empty. Pope has been fantastic recently and he did little wrong today in my opinion.