Nick Pope

Rich

Pope does have a bunder in him, particularly when it comes to running out for a ball or those silly punches when he should be catching it, but he's definitely a solid option in nets while we work through our financial fair play restrictions. We need to improve in other positions first and build the squad out. I expect in a couple of years we'll look at the goalkeeper situation unless we get a young prospect to come in for a reasonable price to be the number 2 before then. 

He’d have done better volleyball slapping the ball with two hands up and over him for a corner kick. The catch was the only option to calm the crowd down and give your lads a break. Fuck sake I’m raging. 

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

This version of Pope isn't an upgrade on Dubravka like. He still makes some top saves but all PL level keepers do. I'd be tempted to bring him out for a couple of games and make him earn his place again. 

Dubravka might not be elite level but he's a good keeper, and is more sure of his own ability and decision making IMO.

1 minute ago, Kanji said:

He’d have done better volleyball slapping the ball with two hands up and over him for a corner kick. The catch was the only option to calm the crowd down and give your lads a break. Fuck sake I’m raging. 

Thing is he is absolutely shite at punching also, he always flaps at it and gets no distance. 

He got lucky in the first half for their penalty claim. When he's making errors of judgment dealing with fairly simple crosses as well as the known issues when he comes out of his goal since Liverpool it's a worry. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

6 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

1st goal wasn’t his fault, he should have caught the ball for the 2nd but our defending from the punch wasn’t great.

Biggest GK of the night was for our 1st goal.

He walked out the goal to go to the shops.

He’s not an end game level keeper, but as we can’t just pick and choose which goalkeeper we want and need yet he is a good no. 1 to have. Take FFP and the market in general into account, this guy was a fucking steal.. errors included.

Edited by Nine

1 minute ago, Nine said:

He’s not the end game level keeper, but as we can’t just pick and choose which goalkeeper we want and need yet he is a good no. 1 to have. Take FFP and the market in general into account, this guy was a fucking steal.. errors included.

We've got a more than capable number 2 keeper though to take him out of the firing line for a few games while he sorts some of his basics out. If Dubravka does the same we're not really worse off as Pope is doing it anyway. I don't think Pope since his red-card is massively better than Dubravka the 6 months before he joined. 

3 minutes ago, Aiston said:

He walked out the goal to go to the shops.

He did, but Trippier being out muscled was the reason they scored. The 2nd goal, he should have caught the ball but we defended poorly after that.

Our 1st goal was the biggest keeper blunder of the night.

I think there’s an element of forgetting just how much better Pope is over Dubs. We’ll not see it as we don’t see them training but if Pope isn’t the better keeper form wise, it will be noticed.

1 minute ago, Tsunami said:

He did, but Trippier being out muscled was the reason they scored. The 2nd goal, he should have caught the ball but we defended poorly after that.

I think there’s an element of forgetting just how much better Pope is over Dubs. We’ll not see it as we don’t see them training but if Pope isn’t the better keeper form wise, it will be noticed.

The defending was poor, but they were probably like everyone else thinking there's no danger since Pope's taking a simple catch, then all of a sudden they're having to react to a player running at them when it shouldn't have been a scenario. 

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

The defending was poor, but they were probably like everyone else thinking there's no danger since Pope's taking a simple catch, then all of a sudden they're having to react to a player running at them when it shouldn't have been a scenario. 

They had plenty of time to react but just stood there. 

9 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

[emoji38] give over man he had an easy catch. He catches that ball then that goal doesn't happen

Bollocks it's hard catching in pissing down rain. They still waltzed passed our midfield and defence to score but let's blame popey eh. 😂 

1 minute ago, andycap said:

Bollocks it's hard catching in pissing down rain. They still waltzed passed our midfield and defence to score but let's blame popey eh. 😂 

There was no pressure on him whatsoever. I've seen Sunday league keepers catch harder balls in worse weather than that. I've already said the defending after that was a shambles, but it wouldn't have come to that if he made a simple catch. . 

I really don’t understand the grief Pope is getting he makes the correct decision not to go for the ball for the 1st goal. He doesn’t get there if he tries and he’s not stopping the header either way. The 2nd  goal, he decides to punch (you could argue catch it, but conditions aren’t great), our defensive reaction to the punch is poor. 

We looked tired at that point and personally I’d have had either Hall or Tino on. Certainly once Neto went off we had a chance to hurt them down our left. Willock was fresh and they looked vulnerable there.

16 minutes ago, andycap said:

He's supposed to be unlucky that he's out of the England squad but couldn't catch a ball straight at him, or punch it away better than he did. 

25 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Presumably he just catches the damn thing and we are not defending at all.