Memberships (2023/24)

ceolnamara

8 minutes ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

the counter to this argument is when you’re lucky you get luckier.  If you’re initially unlucky you get unluckier.  I would personally like a membership scheme where over a season I am guaranteed a seat for at least 4-5 games even if it was then capped.  I think on all fronts (home and away) we should be looking to get as many different fans in over the season.  

Where I would offer priority to say someone who has held a membership for 5 years vs 1 is for the bigger games.   

Loyalty does not necessarily equate to the number of games a persons financial position or geographical location allows them to attend.  If they raised the base ticket price to £200 per game and a much smaller set of people could afford to go to every game would  that make them better off or loyal?  If some one is a fan living in Spain with a family who can only travel for 2 games a season but at a much bigger financial and time cost is he more or less loyal than some one jumping on a bus for 10 minutes?  

We are in a position where the ground is far too small for demand.  The ability to get a ticket should not become an even more closed shop.

I personally would also “never” release any more season tickets. If we increase capacity or when people do not renew put those into a the membership pool. 

If you look at getting as many fans as possible into away games then our away ends will be utterly horrific.

4 minutes ago, TheDimpleboy said:

If you look at getting as many fans as possible into away games then our away ends will be utterly horrific.

😃 the ability to get more people to away games is near impossible.  I think what they have done is about right in putting some of the tickets in a ballot.  The issue with the away allocation has been the years of abuse of the loyalty scheme by people always getting every ticket and selling them in the busses.  For some games the people who run the buses would have 10’s of tickets selling them to who ever they could so they could get the points.  I do hope that the club stick to their word and check the people who actually attend. 

4 minutes ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

😃 the ability to get more people to away games is near impossible.  I think what they have done is about right in putting some of the tickets in a ballot.  The issue with the away allocation has been the years of abuse of the loyalty scheme by people always getting every ticket and selling them in the busses.  For some games the people who run the buses would have 10’s of tickets selling them to who ever they could so they could get the points.  I do hope that the club stick to their word and check the people who actually attend. 

Oh completely agree, small ballot and checking ID seems sensible. 

Our away ends will suffer as a result like, there'll be less groups of daft lads who get their tickets on the bus.

I just strongly object to trying to get everyone to 'have a fair turn' for away games. The chance was there for everyone under Ashley, with the exception of young fans coming through now, to build up points. They just didn't fancy it then, cos we got beat every week.

1 minute ago, plenum said:

I wonder what the difference is between the international versus domestic membership in terms of ticketing?

Me too.  My wife got me both my mistake. She thought the international was for international games.  I sent an email to the box office to cancel it but they ignore it. 

6 minutes ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

away fans would get in the home end. 

There's nothing stopping them buying a membership at any point in the season

plus there's always at least 5% on general sale anyway

I was thinking about this too 

Level 7 

Prices won’t be £44 ? Will they 

How will the ballot recognise membership accounts with links (adult / child) ? 

will you automatically be perched up in level 7 if you ask for a grouped ticket and have a child ?

Not sure our ticketing system is sophisticated enough to look at that ?

IMG_4027.png

3 minutes ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

Me too.  My wife got me both my mistake. She thought the international was for international games.  I sent an email to the box office to cancel it but they ignore it. 

Hmm, that's too bad! Another flaw in the it-system.....it should not be possible to buy with a UK address imo.

8 hours ago, junkhead said:

Veeery badly handled by the club. I recognise that there are big staff changes and all kinds of restructuring happening in the background, but this ticketing process can be detrimental to the atmosphere in the ground and throughout the fanbase in general, during the WHOLE season. Random allocation is simply the easiest route that they could have gone into and coupled with the delay.. this is really pushing it.

The hospitality tickets were out today. As a foreign fan this has always been one of the easier options to attend a game and plan a trip in advance.. not anymore - I've had all sorts of trouble with the availability (some games sold out within seconds, then reappeared in random refreshes), gateway timeouts during the payment process (prompting more refreshes and uncertainty if the card has been charged) and since the afternoon -  a server error which indicates that the system is not working at all for anybody.

Hopefully we tear all this legacy shit up and start afresh next summer.. with new software and more empathy and respect for the matchgoing fans.

Good post.

I really do worry about the knock on effect on the atmosphere and the mood of the fan base after this screw up.

We want to be going into the new season with positivity from club and fans alike, not anger and negativity because folk can’t sit where they want in areas appropriate for them. 

Not great from the club this and I think it’ll be down to mistakes/ lack of proper thought/ incompetence rather than any malice. Maybe there’s too many new people all at once behind the scenes and things just aren’t running right yet. 

Edited by LV

2 minutes ago, TheDimpleboy said:

I just strongly object to trying to get everyone to 'have a fair turn' for away games. The chance was there for everyone under Ashley, with the exception of young fans coming through now, to build up points. They just didn't fancy it then, cos we got beat every week.

I don’t have an answer for how to do fix it but I still don’t like the closed shop.  For home games I’ve gone to 5-10 for the last 18 years.   I moved away and I have kids. A season ticket would not work for me.  Even now it would not.  I don’t have one as I don’t want to go to every game. I am probably going to lose the ability to go to the games I used to. 

To a degree away games are the same. Just because someone has been in a position to go to every away game doesn’t make them some super fan to me. It maybe just means they don’t have kids, or a wife, or maybe have both but can afford it.  Or maybe some one works shifts and can only do 1 every month.  Not being able to go to any as you can’t go to all of them does not sit right to me.  

8 minutes ago, patrone said:

There's nothing stopping them buying a membership at any point in the season

plus there's always at least 5% on general sale anyway

You’ll never completely stop it but I think membership is a decent battier to entry. 

11 minutes ago, TheDimpleboy said:

Oh completely agree, small ballot and checking ID seems sensible. 

Our away ends will suffer as a result like, there'll be less groups of daft lads who get their tickets on the bus.

Less coked-up weekend millionaires representing NUFC is a good thing.

Away fans in the home stands, in this argument, has to be an absolute straw man right? A dude and his son, coming all the way up from London, spending whatever that costs travel wise, a night’s accommodations, food, spending 35 a piece for each membership, 75 a piece for a ticket, just to stand next to y’all in SJP to watch Chelsea or whoever? I don’t buy it. 

Edited by cubaricho

Loyalty is an extremely difficult thing to asses in our current situation, since it was arguably more loyal not to attend a match in the last few seasons. You could argue that people who stayed away are better fans than those who went.

Not that I like to compare fans, but the conventional way to assess loyalty doesn’t really work. 

Obviously I wish I had taken up a ST under Ashley now. But it didn’t have anything to do with ‘getting beat every week’. It was because the existence of the club was irrelevant. 

10 hours ago, Dr Venkman said:

Thinking about just getting a refund on our memberships now TBH. If I can’t choose where me and my little lad sit, I don’t think I want to go.

Slept on this and had a chat with the boy this morning, he’s happy to sit wherever so I’m going to stick with it for this season and see how it goes.

Edited by Dr Venkman

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Loyalty is an extremely difficult thing to asses in our current situation, since it was arguably more loyal not to attend a match in the last few seasons. You could argue that people who stayed away are better fans than those who went.

Not that I like to compare fans, but the conventional way to assess loyalty doesn’t really work. 

Obviously I wish I had taken up a ST under Ashley now. But it didn’t have anything to do with ‘getting beat every week’. It was because the existence of the club was irrelevant. 

And this is why our thinking on the whole is incorrect, we are custodians for the next generation and we should all be encouraging and supporting the growth of the institution we all profess to love. 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Correct.

1 minute ago, cubaricho said:

Misnomer and no such thing. 

I know, like I said I don’t want to compare fans. But since we were talking about loyalty I wanted to highlight the strangeness of our current situation. 

Unfortunately the very existence of season tickets, loyalty points and memberships creates a hierarchy. For access to tickets if nothing else. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

We've had membership for years, rightly or wrongly I kept it each season as my way of still having a connection with the club during the FCB years.

Last season was a huge bonus being able to get almost any tickets I wanted (home) but that obviously wasn't going to last.

I just fail to see the benefits now 🤷‍♂️

Just now, patrone said:

We've had membership for years, rightly or wrongly I kept it each season as my way of still having a connection with the club during the FCB years.

Last season was a huge bonus being able to get almost any tickets I wanted (home) but that obviously wasn't going to last.

I just fail to see the benefits now 🤷‍♂️

You wrote the “benefit” in your opening paragraph.