Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

As is explained every time this comes up, it doesn't exist in this country as a means to protect attendances.

We all know this, the point is it likely wouldnt have an effect, and done legit- ( I know theres ways) the potential ££s is massive iyam.

As is explained every time this comes up, it doesn't exist in this country as a means to protect attendances.

We all know this, the point is it likely wouldnt have an effect, and done legit- ( I know theres ways) the potential ££s is massive iyam.

I believe it would definitely have an effect. The degree to which could be disputed, and would depend on how it was implemented.

Just listening to one of those Graham Hunter podcasts and he mentions that after the sale of Carroll, Pardew asked him about potential strikers to sign in Spain to replace him and Hunter recommended looking at Diego Costa who was at Valladolid at the time.  Wasn't clear what Pardew did with this information but thought it was mildly interesting.

Guest chopey

Diego Costa was re-signed by Atletico Madrid in the summer of 2010, Carroll was sold in January 2011. Something amiss with that story.

The date's ?

Diego Costa was re-signed by Atletico Madrid in the summer of 2010, Carroll was sold in January 2011. Something amiss with that story.

Fair enough - looks like Costa was potentially going to leave Atletico in the summer of 2011 to Besiktas but it fell through, so maybe he meant then?

Nah we genuinely sold Carroll to Liverpool for £35m

Guest chopey

Nah we genuinely sold Carroll to Liverpool for £35m

Are you sure ? “They can put together whatever they like. He is not for sale. I am going to say it for one last time, he is not for sale,” Pardew said.

Guest firetotheworks

Just makes you realise what a truly wonderful era we're in with players. 5 or so players who are either playing or who just retired would be in my all time XI. Of those winners above, only original Ronaldo would be in it.

Guest firetotheworks

That's a truly awful year, where were Ronaldo, Figo, and Zidane? All comfortably the best players in the world around that time and none of them were in the 5? Having said that, wasn't 2001 the year when Kahn was outstanding? Michael fucking Owen ffs.

To be fair the award was far more about performances and trophy success at that time when it was decided by just journalists than the popularity contest that it became under the FIFA stewardship. I do believe there are a few years when Messi and Ronaldo perhaps didn't deserve to win but did by default.

Guest firetotheworks

I've always thought of it simply as who is currently the best player on the planet and that world footballer of the year should be about performance. Of course they'd overlap a lot, but the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Suarez, Ibrahimovic and Robben should have won it if you were using the performance and achievement criteria.

but you cant watch if you are in UK?

its great idea- cant understand why they dont do something like this for the prem, and let the home based fans watch.

I'm sure there'll be ways

Won't be available in this country with the Prem due to attendance worries.

VPN and possibly a top up credit card. No doubt someone will put up streams through it as well. If people have family members abroad then it will make the purchase of it easier.

Shame we never had it this season, would have been great for my Aunty in Canada and great for us to get on the back of.

I can't help but feel that this is a way of the EFL testing the waters to see if they can sell the rights to matches themselves via streams in future, instead of going through Sky. The Premier League will be keeping a close eye on this themselves, if it wasn't for them selling the rights to every game in the USA then I would have said that they would be on this themselves.

Just wondering though, Saturday 3pm KO's cannot be legally shown on TV in the UK, but is there room in that law to allow online streams? I personally think that law is getting closer and closer to being repelled. We are pretty much an empty threat from the Premier League and sky to have no Saturday 3pm KO's away from the law being repelled.