Open Wide For Some Soccer!

Mike

What's people's take on Bedoya?

I like him, good work rate and defensive abilities. Not particularly excited about the idea of him and Zusi being definite starters, but there's no better options unfortunately.

Dempsey out

My team....no idea about the back line.

-------------------Howard------------------

Johnson--Cameron--Besler--Chandler

--------------------Jones-------------------

---------Bradley------------Zusi-----------

------------------Dempsey-----------------

---------Altidore----------Johannsson---

or

-------------------Howard------------------

Johnson--Cameron--Besler--Chandler

--------------------Jones-------------------

---------Bradley------------Zusi-----------

----------------------Mix-----------------

---------Dempsey---------Johannsson---

Is Mix playing? Might turn it on.

Not yet, but I'm sure he'll see minutes in the second half.

Gonzalez has been mistake-prone the last few times he's played for the U.S., and he's not as good on the ball as Cameron. Cameron-Besler will be the CB pairing going forward.

I managed an hour of that shit. You kids are fucked.

Nah. First game they've all played together since November, relatively new formation, no Dempsey. Two more friendlies to work out the kinks.

Nah. First game they've all played together since November, relatively new formation, no Dempsey. Two more friendlies to work out the kinks.

I get that, but I'd be surprised if your group opponents would struggle to a 2-0 defeat of Azerbaijan. It's not like they were setting the world alight before this game either, although I know there have been various squads missing major players.

I understand you want to be confident going in, and you don't like non-America types criticizing your team, but this team needs to be good enough to defeat Ghana, and the very least get something out of a game against Portugal. Maybe if you had 3 months/years of practice matches, but you don't.

To me, beating Ghana looks doable still, given they're poor, though that's far from a given, but I just can't see anything other than a Portugal win.

I get that, but I'd be surprised if your group opponents would struggle to a 2-0 defeat of Azerbaijan. It's not like they were setting the world alight before this game either, although I know there have been various squads missing major players.

I understand you want to be confident going in, and you don't like non-America types criticizing your team, but this team needs to be good enough to defeat Ghana, and the very least get something out of a game against Portugal. Maybe if you had 3 months of practice matches, but you don't.

To me, beating Ghana looks doable still, given they're poor, though that's far from a given, but I just can't see anything other than a Portugal win.

I think that's rather disingenuous. There's no denying that they looked disjointed last night and that that kind of performance in the group stage would see them exit unceremoniously.

I don't like the "You kids are fucked" retort not because it's coming from a non-American but because it's needlessly knee-jerk. Despite the sloppy play at times, there wasn't any time in the game when Azerbaijan looked even remotely threatening. That had much to do with the fact that they were dropping 11 men behind the ball, but the U.S. was still able to knock in two despite it.

There's a reason these friendlies are played in the run-up to the WC. They won't be making substitutions at HT and tinkering with the line-up come Ghana, because they'll (hopefully) have it figured out by then. I'm not saying a victory against Ghana or points against Portugal/Germany are highly likely, because they're not. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a fool.