Open Wide For Some Soccer!

Mike

How the fuck do the US do it with such rubbish players? Do they get well funded for facilities and the like?

I already hate myself for biting, but rubbish according to what standard? Surely the fact that they "do it" at all indicates that the players aren't "rubbish." Overrated coming out of CONCACAF I'll grant you.

I just mean generally the US puts in reasonably competent displays in the WC. It amazes me how when the standard is of such low quality going by how they perform in European club football.

I just mean generally the US puts in reasonably competent displays in the WC. It amazes me how when the standard is of such low quality going by how they perform in European club football.

They (generally) come together and play well as a unit, despite not necessarily performing well individually at the highest levels. U.S. managers, particularly Arena and Bradley, have always stressed cohesiveness as a means of making-up for the obvious dearth in technical ability. Klinsmann's trying to develop the technical side of the game more, from a grassroots level.

Fair enough. I really want to see the US do well but it amazes me how they accomplish it with mostly MLS players.

The thing with the MLS guys is that they're all very intelligent players. Beckerman, for example, has the turning radius of an aircraft carrier, but he positions himself very well so as not to get caught dick-in-hand by better, faster players. Wondolowski is nothing but a poacher at the international level, but his movement is excellent. Always seems to find himself on the end of the ball, though his finishing can be shoddy at times.

Zusi and Besler are actually two guys I expect to get offers from European clubs following the tournament. Besler is a Carlos Bocanegra clone, who was a solid player for Fulham and in France for several years. Zusi is a poor man's Milner (:lol: I know) with decent passing and delivery. Both could probably do the job for mid-level French or Italian teams.

Fair enough. I really want to see the US do well but it amazes me how they accomplish it with mostly MLS players.

The thing with the MLS guys is that they're all very intelligent players. Beckerman, for example, has the turning radius of an aircraft carrier, but he positions himself very well so as not to get caught dick-in-hand by better, faster players. Wondolowski is nothing but a poacher at the international level, but his movement is excellent. Always seems to find himself on the end of the ball, though his finishing can be shoddy at times.

Zusi and Besler are actually two guys I expect to get offers from European clubs following the tournament. Besler is a Carlos Bocanegra clone, who was a solid player for Fulham and in France for several years. Zusi is a poor man's Milner (:lol: I know) with decent passing and delivery. Both could probably do the job for mid-level French or Italian teams.

I think Zusi is a great player and could do well as a squad player in the PL - he's strong, can pass, good workrate, etc.

US teams in the modern era have been fighters and they seem to rise to the occasion or their opposition on the bigger stages. Nobody thought we'd have ever beaten England in the last cup and although it was an error that ended up in our goal we always make up our lack of technical skill with a well executed plan with hard working players who know their roles and do it well, and we've always been fortunate to have 2-3 players who've done well in Europe or their respective club campaigns sort of be "on" at the right time.

FWIW I want England to do well this Cup as well and most of the "big" or "favorite" countries as I like the Cup in that regard.