Open Wide For Some Soccer!

Mike

I found nothing redeeming in really any of our play tbh. We lacked rhythm, Jozy looked exactly like he did for Sunderland, we had some good chances to score early and did not - and some of our play was decent but missed final ball. But it was a terrible Azerbijan team and we should have smashed them.

This team has a nasty habit of playing to the level of its opponent. They'll play their best football in the group stage, because the quality of opponent will necessitate it. It's easy to look at this performance and think they'll get skull-fucked by the likes of Portugal and Germany, but the reality is, this team hasn't been bent over backwards by any team in recent memory. That doesn't mean they'll get points, but if they genuinely get steam-rolled in the group stage, I'll eat my hat.

Yeah these are pretty much the same lines that England fans, myself included, have tried to peddle for the last 6 tournaments or something. They look mediocre right now, and it's highly likely that they'll look mediocre in the tournament too. That's not to say I think they'll lose by massive margins or anything, they'll work hard and all that jazz, but ultimately I'm thinking you're looking at something like 1-1, 0-2, 0-3 in the group.

Obviously there's still time for this stuff to change, but I'd just be very surprised if it does. You need to put someone to the sword with a solid team performance, showing that you can create decent chances, and that you can actually take those chances, but I just don't think you have either the personnel, or the cohesiveness to do so. Turkey game will probably be much the same as the Azer game, result could probably go either way, something uninspiring like a 1-0/0-1/1-1.

I will say the US team does seem to be better on the occasion and stage and has more or less gotten the result(s) in qualifying it needed to when it mattered. Good and great teams destroy the likes of Azer...but yeah, still doesn't change how badly I want Jozy on the bench (off the team). He's pure gash.

I will say the US team does seem to be better on the occasion and stage and has more or less gotten the result(s) in qualifying it needed to when it mattered. Good and great teams destroy the likes of Azer...but yeah, still doesn't change how badly I want Jozy on the bench (off the team). He's pure gash.

Agreed about Jozy. Pundits keep peddling the lie that he's integral to the squad because he holds the ball up. Well, he did flying fuck all to hold the ball up yesterday, pissed away chances, and added nothing. He's the kind of player who needs everything around him to go perfectly in order to produce, but he's just a waste of space otherwise. I'd much rather have Wondo starting up top, despite being an inferior player, allegedly. He at least knows how to move off the ball, get in position, and put the shot on target. I've stuck my neck out for Jozy for a long time, but it's clear he's reverted to being the lump he was in South Africa.

I like Chandler and Johnson on the fullback positions as they've good pace to get up and down. I'd prefer Bradley for Davis and Mix at top of Diamond with Dempsey and Johannsson.

On the road so can't watch this. How's the game going? I see the score, but dominant performance or what? Promising enough score line if they've done it without giving up any chances, and kept possession well..

USA fully deserve the win, though Turkey have been in promising positions quite a few times. Some utterly terrible decision-making from them/sheer incompetence.

I like Chandler and Johnson on the fullback positions as they've good pace to get up and down. I'd prefer Bradley for Davis and Mix at top of Diamond with Dempsey and Johannsson.

Thing is, Mix hasn't impressed as much as a starter. He's made his biggest impact coming off the bench. And I definitely wouldn't shunt Bradley out wide in favor of Mix.

Agreed about Dempsey and Johannsson up top. I think they'd combine well.

Was just going through the rosters for the World Cup and couldn't help but notice that Damarcus Beasley is in the team... :iamatwat:

Surely in the running for worst team in the comp?

Was just going through the rosters for the World Cup and couldn't help but notice that Damarcus Beasley is in the team... :iamatwat:

Surely in the running for worst team in the comp?

No.