Open Wide For Some Soccer!

Mike

53 minutes ago, Miercoles said:

Beautiful thing about being a US soccer fan, I could record the game and watch it today and didn't have to worry at all about spoilers - nobody gives a fuck :lol:

I’m still not sure of the point of having the Nations League :lol: 

4 minutes ago, Deuce said:

I’m still not sure of the point of having the Nations League :lol: 

It’s kind of weird to see the Gold Cup completely eclipsed by the Nations League

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

Wtf is up with Canada drawing with Guatemala and Guadeloupe? They playing kids or something?

Yeah, missing 10 starters. Just isn't the depth behind that yet. The Guatemala game was atrocious. That said it was near +40 with humidity and the game started at 9pm local!

Guadeloupe actually have a fairly solid team. A couple of top tier league players and mainly all French expats that play in Ligue 2. 

Canada should be beating both though. Lots of new players simply not gelling. Ahmed from the whitecaps looks a great find for the program though as does mls rookie Bombito. Canada desperately needs CB's. It's a gong show back there.

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

Yeah, missing 10 starters. Just isn't the depth behind that yet. The Guatemala game was atrocious. That said it was near +40 with humidity and the game started at 9pm local!

Guadeloupe actually have a fairly solid team. A couple of top tier league players and mainly all French expats that play in Ligue 2. 

Canada should be beating both though. Lots of new players simply not gelling. Ahmed from the whitecaps looks a great find for the program though as does mls rookie Bombito. Canada desperately needs CB's. It's a gong show back there.

The background stuff with the CSA saying bankruptcy was possible then trying to walk it back also wasn’t helpful.

On 16/06/2023 at 21:29, Mike said:

We sent some soccer balls up north just for laughs and now the canucks are syruping all over the thread.

RIP the Canucks syruping all over the thread.

Always got the Blue Jays, I guess. :yao:

Was pretty happy with the game. Was expecting a thrashing. Dissapointing result give the performance but good for a battle of the B teams.

Only difference is that is also Canada's C, D E and F teams. The depth comparison between the two nations is so wide. It's getting better though.

Cowell is a beast for the states. Ahmed had a break out tournament for Canada. Lack of any decent CB's is still a huge long term issue for Canada. Rest is looking good though.

That Jacob kid seems like he’s got something to him. Great goal.

Canada’s top XI can compete, but our depth just blows them (and everyone else in the conference) out of the water. Hopefully this spells the beginning of the St. Clair era in goal, too.

14 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Mad that the Nations League had our top side and the Gold Cup has our B side. 

Purely a scheduling thing. If our top/Euro-based players were gonna play, better to give them a few games at the tail end of their club season rather than an early call back and month-long commitment that leads straight into club pre-season. No way they’d have called them in for both, they’d not have gotten any breaks. Doesn’t really matter if we win this GC either.

5 hours ago, Mike said:

RIP the Canucks syruping all over the thread.

Always got the Blue Jays, I guess. :yao:

The country hasn’t been this low emotionally since the great Quebec syrup heist. 

But honestly, no complaints about the score and nice to see some of our younger players get some game time and develop (ie: Ali Ahmed)

3 minutes ago, Deuce said:

That Jacob kid seems like he’s got something to him. Great goal.

Canada’s top XI can compete, but our depth just blows them (and everyone else in the conference) out of the water. Hopefully this spells the beginning of the St. Clair era in goal, too.

When they show up. Nations League final was not a glowing account of ability. I think we'll see better players coming through who actually want to play for Canada with the team improvement. Soccer Canada (men's) really owes Herdman a debt of gratitude.

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Was pretty happy with the game. Was expecting a thrashing. Dissapointing result give the performance but good for a battle of the B teams.

Only difference is that is also Canada's C, D E and F teams. The depth comparison between the two nations is so wide. It's getting better though.

Cowell is a beast for the states. Ahmed had a break out tournament for Canada. Lack of any decent CB's is still a huge long term issue for Canada. Rest is looking good though.

I wish Fikayo Tomori didn't have any England caps........ 

32 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

When they show up. Nations League final was not a glowing account of ability. I think we'll see better players coming through who actually want to play for Canada with the team improvement. Soccer Canada (men's) really owes Herdman a debt of gratitude.

I wish Fikayo Tomori didn't have any England caps........ 

He is the new Hargreaves. The impact he could have made for Canada would have been huge. He is likely missing out on two world cups as it is. Maybe 3. Too bad but he made his choice and wasn't smarter for Southgate cynical capping. Fell for it not once but twice!