Alexander Isak

Disco

He's just not the finished article yet and has some games that pass him by. Some people got carried away with some performances calling him world class etc when he's a fair bit off that currently. I think he could be though, still likely a couple of years off his peak.

3 minutes ago, WideopenMag said:

He's just not the finished article yet and has some games that pass him by. Some people got carried away with some performances calling him world class etc when he's a fair bit off that currently. I think he could be though, still likely a couple of years off his peak.

I also think he’s deliberately holding himself back a tad. We know he’s injury prone and we can’t really afford for him to go gung-ho and have another muscle injury given we have no backup at the moment. 

Edited by MrRaspberryJam

7 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

I also think he’s deliberately holding himself back a tad. We know he’s injury prone and we can’t really afford for him to go gung-ho and have another muscle injury given we have no backup at the moment. 

Aye.

I'd rather he played full-throttle for 45 minutes... walk around a bit for 15 minutes and get subbed than do this pacing himself stuff. Even if that sub is Matt Ritchie.

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Aye.

I'd rather he played full-throttle for 45 minutes... walk around a bit for 15 minutes and get subbed than do this pacing himself stuff. Even if that sub is Matt Ritchie.

With Isak I think you run the risk of him being injured for 2-3 weeks as well if we keep expecting him to go gung-ho even for 45 mins. I don’t think we’ve ever really given him a genuine chance to fully recover as him and Wilson always seem to get rushed back because the other is injured. 

Isak is a top 10 number 9 in world football. There's not a weakness in his game there other than perhaps a little bit of physicality. We'd be mad to put him on the wing or behind another striker imo. 

We need him to play more like he did against Man U where he dropped deep to link play though. He didn't do any of it against Everton and just got dominated by their CBs instead. To back that up with stats we had more possession against Everton but he had 26 touches there as opposed to 50 against Man U, and he completed 10 passes against Everton and 33 passes against Man U. Our CBs really struggled with their distribution against Everton and part of it is Isak wasn't available. We're never going to consistently get the best out of him when he has to play every minute of every game twice a week though. Really need Wilson back. 

Edited by Smal

We need him to play more like he did against Man U where he dropped deep to link play though.

Man U played a man marking system. Newcastles performance was text book on how to pick their system apart. One big piece there was Isak’s movement pulling out the center halves and creating space in behind.

Wingers did similarly at times, reason for Tino to all of the sudden be in acres of space on the left flank.

However, it’s not necessarily the best play against a more well organised/better defense as you might want your #9 to “push down” the center halves to create space for your midfield. In any case, Isak had different instructions in the Man U game and it might be hard to say what’s better for the team even if his involvement will be higher when he drops deep.

21 minutes ago, konvaljen said:

However, it’s not necessarily the best play against a more well organised/better defense as you might want your #9 to “push down” the center halves to create space for your midfield. In any case, Isak had different instructions in the Man U game and it might be hard to say what’s better for the team even if his involvement will be higher when he drops deep.

True, but it doesn't suit Isak's game at all to go up against two physical centre halves like Everton's. Wilson can play that way but not Isak. He competed in 11 duels and lost 10 of them. Gordon and Almiron are good runners - I think playing them more narrowly to try and overload Everton's CBs might've worked better.

16 minutes ago, Smal said:

True, but it doesn't suit Isak's game at all to go up against two physical centre halves like Everton's. Wilson can play that way but not Isak. He competed in 11 duels and lost 10 of them. Gordon and Almiron are good runners - I think playing them more narrowly to try and overload Everton's CBs might've worked better.

I reckon Isak could do any centre half as long as he's not expected to battle them for high looping balls. He needs to be played in early on the deck so he can run behind them. Our deliveries and final ball haven't been good enough for some time now. Just look at the pass Miley put through to him for that goal against Chelsea. We need more of that.

Adore Isak and he’s exactly who I want leading the line for us but it’s a tough watch seeing him jog for 90 mins and lose every aerial battle. He’s still got enough talent and ability to beat his man with skill but his body is just not there for battling and running at 100%

1 hour ago, gbandit said:

Adore Isak and he’s exactly who I want leading the line for us but it’s a tough watch seeing him jog for 90 mins and lose every aerial battle. He’s still got enough talent and ability to beat his man with skill but his body is just not there for battling and running at 100%

100% on this. He’s not looked great at all since he’s been back. Missed a few sitters from memory. Really feel he’d play a lot better just off/behind Wilson.

1 minute ago, ryanegg said:

100% on this. He’s not looked great at all since he’s been back. Missed a few sitters from memory. Really feel he’d play a lot better just off/behind Wilson.

That means a complete system change tbf, not that I'm against that as if isn't working currently.

I don’t think he is fully fit. Must be carrying some kind of knock and not wanting to risk further injury. Glad we have Wilson back and can mix them up now. 

Barnes back as well will help and we are missing Murphy as an option on the right. Everyone will look much better when we have options.  

30 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

Isak is not a CF, never was, never will be. The fact that Howe swapped him with Gordon maybe means he's finally realised it. He should never start up front by himself. he's an auxiliary striker. he needs a partner.

He has been absolutely fantastic for us as a lone striker for the most part