Alexander Isak

Disco

11 minutes ago, TRon said:

I wonder if he's ever been to Liverpool. :lol:

The original post was directed at clubs that has 1 big start amongst mediocre players. The car represents the star player and the house represents the squad. They're not talking about the city.

Edited by Erikse

1 minute ago, OCOCOL said:

it was a poor joke. Assuming you’re lost - posh people 30 odd year ago would say “Gordon Bennett” instead of for fucks sake. 

I apologise profusely mate 

Thanks but I was taking the piss [emoji38]

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

26 minutes ago, LFEE said:

With 4yrs on his contract id be tempted not to renew and leave it as is without the release clause…

I don’t think he would be happy getting paid £120k a week for the duration of that contract when he is one of the best strikers in the world. Only reason his wage is so ’small’ is that he was getting £20-25k a week at Sociedad IIRC.

Even giving him Bruno money would mean he’s well underpaid, think he has to make at least £200-250k a week for us to have a chance to keep him long term.

43 minutes ago, OCOCOL said:

it was a poor joke. Assuming you’re lost - posh people 30 odd year ago would say “Gordon Bennett” instead of for fucks sake. 

I apologise profusely mate 

:lol:

30 minutes ago, Pata said:

I don’t think he would be happy getting paid £120k a week for the duration of that contract when he is one of the best strikers in the world. Only reason his wage is so ’small’ is that he was getting £20-25k a week at Sociedad IIRC.

Even giving him Bruno money would mean he’s well underpaid, think he has to make at least £200-250k a week for us to have a chance to keep him long term.

I'm sure ideally we'd like to pay him superclub wages, just not so sure we can do that under PSR constraints. We might be a couple of years off that unless we are allowed to plough PIF money into the club short term.

Barring that, we have to get used to the idea of selling players at a premium and investing that money into a replacement. It's not ideal, but at least we get to cash in on them at peak value.

It's interesting to see what happens with him. If we are brutally honest he's way too good to be playing for a fringe CL club but at the same time there are only a handful of clubs that could sign him considering the fee we already paid for him and how amazing he has been since. Real Madrid just bought Mbappe and moving him to LW isn't really an option as Vini also exists. Man City have Haaland. Barca would love him but they are broke. PSG seem to have changed their strategy. Bayern just paid massive fee for Kane and they don't usually splash on transfer fees as their status in Germany is so far ahead of anyone else they can just pick players on free. Then there's Arsenal, Man United and Chelsea but doubt they could afford him and just the thought is disgusting and in the case of Man United and Chelsea it could be seen as a sideways step.

It's almost like he's been too good for us and has neglected his own career doing that. Obviously it's great to see as a NUFC fan and him still having fours years left on his contract leaves all the cards in our hands. It's entirely possible growing with us is his only option as he isn't a dickhead but we absolutely must pay him what he deserves.

Disclaimer: None of this is Pardew-esque fantasizing of moving him on for a massive fee, more like a celebration of what a massive home run signing him was in the first place.

Edited by Pata

Just now, TRon said:

I'm sure ideally we'd like to pay him superclub wages, just not so sure we can do that under PSR constraints. We might be a couple of years off that unless we are allowed to plough PIF money into the club short term.

Barring that, we have to get used to the idea of selling players at a premium and investing that money into a replacement. It's not ideal, but at least we get to cash in on them at peak value.

Yeah, we have to sell players at some point but Isak is in a funny position where a realistic club that could sign him doesn't really exist right now unless the fee was massively under his market price. That IMO means we have to keep him happy any way we can and offer him wages he deserves.

1 minute ago, Pata said:

Yeah, we have to sell players at some point but Isak is in a funny position where a realistic club that could sign him doesn't really exist right now unless the fee was massively under his market price. That IMO means we have to keep him happy any way we can and offer him wages he deserves.

Which is why putting him on a par with Bruno sounds about right. Probably a decent compromise considering he's still got 4 years left on a much lower level pay.

Let’s drag this out for the season and give him the supermax Bowen style.  

The 6 year contract has turned out to be a great decision.  

His fee is amortised at £10m per year. At the end of the season we could offer him a £4m p/a wage rise and still break even FFP wise. We shouldn’t offer him that much though. 

The thing with Isak is that he needs to be way more consistent.

When he’s good , he’s unplayable 

When he’s not , he is absolutely terrible and doesn’t get involved/gives it away to much.

He needs to hit 20+ goal for two or three seasons in a row to be world class.

This isn’t a dig at him as he’s one of our best players.

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

32 goals in 55 PL games is consistent.  

There has been times where he has gotten lost in games, but that is probably mostly due to playing with injury and being isolated etc. Scary to think about what he could do in a team where he has more support upfront. I also think he's being more consistent now than when we first signed him.

Edited by Erikse

No issues with a 100m+ release clause - is extraordinary when he's healthy but seems to have a knack for injuries. We could sign the whole England national team with that money if it came to that. Would be best to keep him around of course - would be no replacing of his quality at striker.

2 hours ago, Erikse said:

The original post was directed at clubs that has 1 big start amongst mediocre players. The car represents the star player and the house represents the squad. They're not talking about the city.

Oh the innocence...

He's hurt by the lack of support he gets from a midfield trio of Longstaff, Bruno and Joelinton. None of those do a good job getting into the space between the opposition's defense and midfield and holding the ball up isn't really his game.

I think he'll benefit a lot from Tonali being back, he's got the speed and engine to consistently get beyond Isak.

If we ever get a midfield trio of Willock, Bruno and Tonali I think that's probably our best bet to get the best out of Isak, though I don't know if sacrificing what Joelinton offers is really gonna be on the table.

25 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

When he’s not , he is absolutely terrible and doesn’t get involved/gives it away to much.

I know you're not having a go at him, but I disagree with this massively.

We've used him like he's Dirk Kuyt. Him being gassed/sloppy as a consequence of this is not on him or his consistency.

1 hour ago, Pata said:

It's interesting to see what happens with him. If we are brutally honest he's way too good to be playing for a fringe CL club but at the same time there are only a handful of clubs that could sign him considering the fee we already paid for him and how amazing he has been since. Real Madrid just bought Mbappe and moving him to LW isn't really an option as Vini also exists. Man City have Haaland. Barca would love him but they are broke. PSG seem to have changed their strategy. Bayern just paid massive fee for Kane and they don't usually splash on transfer fees as their status in Germany is so far ahead of anyone else they can just pick players on free. Then there's Arsenal, Man United and Chelsea but doubt they could afford him and just the thought is disgusting and in the case of Man United and Chelsea it could be seen as a sideways step.

It's almost like he's been too good for us and has neglected his own career doing that. Obviously it's great to see as a NUFC fan and him still having fours years left on his contract leaves all the cards in our hands. It's entirely possible growing with us is his only option as he isn't a dickhead but we absolutely must pay him what he deserves.

Disclaimer: None of this is Pardew-esque fantasizing of moving him on for a massive fee, more like a celebration of what a massive home run signing him was in the first place.

Liverpool too.

Spurs are probably too cheap/sideways.

27 minutes ago, Beren said:

Liverpool too.

Spurs are probably too cheap/sideways.

Yeah, forgot them. Think it's possible if they give up on Nunez although their next big money signing has to be a RW. I would say them, Arsenal and PSG as a wild card are the only semi-realistic clubs that could sign him in the next couple of years.

Edit. And I don't want it to happen before anyone says anything. :lol:

Edited by Pata

Football is all about opinions , I don’t mind people disagreeing.

He wasn’t consistent at Real Sociedad either. 

I have said he’s one of our best players and I love watching him in full flow.

He makes lots of good runs too , which I think a few of our midfielders don’t see until it’s too late , so having Tonali back and then willock back (soon) we will hopefully see his goals tally increase further.

When I say world class I mean proving it consistently year in / year out

Alan Shearer 

Wayne Rooney 

Salah 

Haaland 

Andy Cole 

He’s still young and no doubt Isak has everything in his locker but he’s far from the finished article in terms of goals and all round play. 

I agree in regards to not making the most of his ability and the better we get , the better he will get.

I just think  a few of the clubs above us didn’t go in for him when he was at Real Sociedad as they want him to prove it in the premier league and become more consistent (in his all round play as well as goals) 

56 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

He is never absolutely terrible, that’s ridiculous. 

Andy Cole at NUFC was right before my time but I can't accept having Man Utd Cole being part of that group. His finishing was horrible despite the raw numbers and I always laughed at him. Would be interesting to see some xG data from that period but feel like he should have scored a ton more at Man Utd.

Edited by Pata