Alexander Isak

Disco

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Effectively that means he's not good enough at present though, and probably not for this season realistically. That leaves us with one striker carrying the load who is not really suited to doing that over a prolonged period.

Well OK, but this is a circular debate then. That means we would need a young 3rd striker but who’s also proven and has no doubts about easing him in. That’s back to the old ‘how would we get that person to be third choice’ again. 

I find with a lot of these debates, there’s clearly a logical explanation but pundits just prefer to ask the questions even though we already know the answer. It’s a bit odd. 

If we have 70M available (the Guehi money) I would go all out for Osimhen (who's at bloody Galatasary at the moment) - he's available for circa £60m at the moment. 

Isak could then even play number 10 - like the Joshua King role whilst Osimhen would be the Callum Wilson.

It'll never happen of course. 

I do think the next striker move would be a Benjamin Sesko type as they've been linked with him for years. 

7 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Well OK, but this is a circular debate then. That means we would need a young 3rd striker but who’s also proven and has no doubts about easing him in. That’s back to the old ‘how would we get that person to be third choice’ again. 

I find with a lot of these debates, there’s clearly a logical explanation but pundits just prefer to ask the questions even though we already know the answer. It’s a bit odd. 

The only real solution is to lower expectations. Instead of looking at top 6, be happy with top 8. Then anything above that is a bonus. Maybe we just have unrealistic ambitons.

14 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

If we have 70M available (the Guehi money) I would go all out for Osimhen (who's at bloody Galatasary at the moment) - he's available for circa £60m at the moment. 

Isak could then even play number 10 - like the Joshua King role whilst Osimhen would be the Callum Wilson.

It'll never happen of course. 

I do think the next striker move would be a Benjamin Sesko type as they've been linked with him for years. 

I think if we have £70m we should spend it on a RW now. It’s the only weakness left in the team for the way we want to play.

Not sure we’ll be able to get the right person in Jan though. 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think if we have £70m we should spend it on a RW now. It’s the only weakness left in the team for the way we want to play.

It could be argued Bruno was at his most effective when Shelvey was behind him. 

What about getting an athletic DM who can pass very well. Bruno and Tonali as number 8's. 

I agree a RW is needed, as is another striker. 

We need to use the loan market more effectively, and also to buy bargains where available. Chiesa is a good example of having another serviceable body - available for 10m. Even if it didn't work, you could sell him probably for profit. Chelsea will probably flip Tosin next summer for 25-30m. 
Need to get much more aggressive with free transfers or expiring ones. Fill out the squad. 

13 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

What about getting an athletic DM who can pass very well. Bruno and Tonali as number 8's. 

I'd like to see us do this, but players who tick both boxes are probably the most in demand players going. Rice cost a fortune and you an argue he needs support to progress the ball, Rodri is probably the best example of doing both very well, imagine how much Man City would want for him.. 

Liverpool couldn't get Zubimendi 

Villa went with Onana, I'm one of the few people who rates him and think he'll develop well under Emery 

6 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

We shouldn’t need 70 million to improve our RW. Plenty of options out there that are an upgrade on what we have currently.

Don't worry it will be 50m on elanga 🤣

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Wouldn’t shock me unfortunately.

Off topic for this chat but if we got guehi and elanga for say 70m combined in Jan is that good business? From wanting to put 65m into just guehi alone to now one window later getting buy one get one free? 

Obviously hyperthetical as usual here just interesting if the fee would change perception on both deals or not. 

1 minute ago, nufcjmc said:

Off topic for this chat but if we got guehi and elanga for say 70m combined in Jan is that good business? From wanting to put 65m into just guehi alone to now one window later getting buy one get one free? 

Obviously hyperthetical as usual here just interesting if the fee would change perception on both deals or not. 

Not for me no, I don’t think Elanga is the right profile for us to be going for. 

I’m surprised we went for Elanga and I’m not sure how genuine it was given it was so last minute. He’s a completely different profile from Olise and nowhere near the same quality level. 

I’m pretty sure we won’t go back for him now. 

2 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

We need creativity, not another runner.

There is a massive advantage of getting up the pitch as quickly as possible but agreed we have that with Gordan and it becomes a one trick pony thing after a while. However having a genuine option/threat/outlet both sides does mean the opposition have more than one thing to worry about. 

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

Wouldn’t shock me unfortunately.

Elanga maybe good, however if we go for him alarm bells are ringing. Total failure of recruitment given how little he went to forest for. 

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I’m surprised we went for Elanga and I’m not sure how genuine it was given it was so last minute. He’s a completely different profile from Olise and nowhere near the same quality level. 

I’m pretty sure we won’t go back for him now. 

I always doubted credibility of this link. But who knows 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

17 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Elanga maybe good, however if we go for him alarm bells are ringing. Total failure of recruitment given how little he went to forest for. 

Alarm bells will ring if we bid for him and Guehi considering the fuss Mitchell kicked up regarding our summer targets post window.

5 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I can’t see it at all. 

Let’s hope we get a moral boosting RW in January. Hopefully we have found form too (I’m sure we will as we have had baron patches before only to go on a rampage of goals afterwards) [emoji38]

57 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

I always doubted credibility of this link. But who knows 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

I was under the impression it involved some trickery around them signing Almiron for a certain fee in return too, to oil the deal.

2 minutes ago, 80 said:

I was under the impression it involved some trickery around them signing Almiron for a certain fee in return too, to oil the deal.

Also rumoured to involve  the Anderson deal. Somebody knows the truth [emoji38]

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

Alarm bells will ring if we bid for him and Guehi considering the fuss Mitchell kicked up regarding our summer targets post window.

So here's the thing ... what does Mitchell do if Howe isn't keen on his alternative recommendations, and insists on those two?

Does he then bring in the players he rates anyway, that he believes can make a difference?

What then if he does, and Howe doesn't use them?

4 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

If we have £70 million I think we really need to be spreading that across a number of positions.

8 minutes ago, KaKa said:

If we have £70 million I think we really need to be spreading that across a number of positions.

Yeah fair enough, but that is the position that’s the clearest weakness in the first team. Apart from that everybody in the first team is a quality player. When Botman returns anyway. 

I don’t have high expectations for Jan anyway. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

7 minutes ago, KaKa said:

So here's the thing ... what does Mitchell do if Howe isn't keen on his alternative recommendations, and insists on those two?

Does he then bring in the players he rates anyway, that he believes can make a difference?

What then if he does, and Howe doesn't use them?

It's a valid question, and if Eddie was seriously staking his career on those two, then you'd have to think about moving on from him instead. 

But I don't think it's most likely that that's his position, given who he's signed and attempted to sign in his time here and at Bournemouth e.g. he tried to sign a cheap, unproven foreigner from abroad like Fabian Schar before Rafa brought him here.

On balance it seems more likely that Mitchell chose to back the Guehi and Elanga moves in August, given he had full executive authority, and then wash his hands of the situation once it was all messed up.

If we were back in for them, do you think you'd hold Howe or Mitchell responsible?