Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-1 Newcastle United (28/08/2022)

Yorkie

It's not the best but it's no worse than loads of other UK towns/cities of the same size tbh. Urban sprawl in the west midlands is insane so it's clearly been hollowed out significantly. But it was clean and lively enough as a city centre on a matchday at least and the ground is in easy walking distance. Would have been a perfectly OK place to spend a couple of hours if you weren't ridiculously treated like a hostile force. 

I can only think they're used to having 2-3 home derbies per season in the past so it's basically just set up that way out of risk aversion. But honestly I think it probably just makes things more angsty than anything else.

Edited by ponsaelius

Guest HTT II
Just now, ponsaelius said:

It's not the best but it's no worse than loads of other UK towns/cities of the same size tbh. Urban sprawl in the west midlands is insane so it's clearly been hollowed out significantly. But it was clean and lively enough as a city centre on a matchday at least and the ground is in easy walking distance. Would have been a perfectly OK place to spend a couple of hours if you weren't treated like a hostile force. 

It’s the people mainly, we work and stay a lot in Wolves and again it seems to be the spice and beggars capital of the U.K., it’s very grim and most of the pubs in the City centre are shit. The better ones are definitely away from there, some rough and ready, but with proper locals who are canny people. We stay in the Britannia a lot on Lichfield Street and it’s grim as fuck. A perfect example of broken Britain.

Just now, ponsaelius said:

It's not the best but it's no worse than loads of other UK towns/cities of the same size tbh. Urban sprawl in the west midlands is insane so it's clearly been hollowed out significantly. But it was clean and lively enough as a city centre on a matchday at least and the ground is in easy walking distance. Would have been a perfectly OK place to spend a couple of hours if you weren't ridiculously treated like a hostile force. 

You hit the nail on the head always drink in Birmingham and get the train in. They’ve always had a big Burberry element and revel in making the place as unwelcoming as possible.

Guest HTT II

Was once asked by the barmaid in Mcghee's irish bar if I had any coke and I said no, but I’d like a J&D with some and an old bloke sat next to me said I have some if you’re after it, to me and her. My brother got up and sang Toon songs on the stage once in there, we were told to leave or we’d be done in. The Billy Wright is canny mind, a bit like our Black Garter [emoji38]

Edited by HTT II

Newcastle must be one of the few places where the home/away pub distinction doesn’t exist, although 200 pubs within half a mile it makes it possible suppose. Only time I’ve ever been asked who I support was when Stoke came up in the FA cup and caused all that bother.

Had it quite a few times away, Everton being a notable pain in the arse. We eventually ask the police if we could just buy cans from the office and drink them outside as was impossible otherwise.

Edited by GeordieDazzler

Guest HTT II

Newcastle is probably the best place for visiting fans to stay and drink and mingle on a match day/weekend in the whole country. There is little to no bother at all. I’ve even seen a pissed up mackem giving it large (I dunno why as they got battered) when we beat them 5-1 being told to go home son and protected when a few of the younger wannabes wanted to give him a hiding. I’m sure someone put him a taxi.

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Whitley mag said:

Sometimes think we should treat visiting fans how we get treat at their place. Apart from the mackems most clubs get free reign to drink where they want as long as they don’t act up.

Ridiculous take. Anyone should be free to visit and enjoy a town or city even in a football top as long as they are not acting like complete cunts. It’s a free country as they say. Thankfully, mostly, I’ve experienced good times when all over the U.K., it’s just certain places, Sunderland of course, the blue half of Liverpool and sometimes the red half, wolves and for some weird reason parts of Kent!

Away games can be a lot of money. If I'm doing them these days I want to make a proper day/weekend of it and justify the expense. Being cattled in on a bus to a single grotty pub is basically a waste of a day - particularly if the result goes to shit.

9 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Ridiculous take. Anyone should be free to visit and enjoy a town or city even in a football top as long as they are not acting like complete cunts. It’s a free country as they say. Thankfully, mostly, I’ve experienced good times when all over the U.K., it’s just certain places, Sunderland of course, the blue half of Liverpool and sometimes the red half, wolves and for some weird reason parts of Kent!

Not really why should a Wolves fan get to experience every bar in our city, whilst our lot are turned away everywhere. In life you treat others how they treat you is my experience. It may make their away fans push for their city pubs to be more accommodating in return.

Edited by Whitley mag

2 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Not really why should a Wolves fan get to experience every bar in our city, whilst our lot are turned away everywhere. In life you treat others how they treat you is my experience. It may make their away fans push for their city pubs to be more accommodating in return.

Fairly sure it's the other way around that you treat others the way you want them to treat you.

11 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Sometimes think we should treat visiting fans how we get treat at their place. Apart from the mackems most clubs get free reign to drink where they want as long as they don’t act up.

Because that’s the way it should be. 95% of fans of any team are sound and just want a drink and a bit of a laugh with opposition fans (away from the stadium and surrounding area). 

It’s a massive shame whoever’s in charge of what happens in Wolverhampton on match days still thinks it’s the 1980’s.

Guest HTT II
6 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

It’s not illegal to be a human being…

2 minutes ago, SteV said:

Because that’s the way it should be. 95% of fans of any team are sound and just want a drink and a bit of a laugh with opposition fans (away from the stadium and surrounding area). 

It’s a massive shame whoever’s in charge of what happens in Wolverhampton on match days still thinks it’s the 1980’s.

It’s down to their fans who kick off with visiting fans, hence why they do it to avoid bother.

8 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

because its great for local economy in the short and in the long term. 

you want to be city everybody wants to come and spend a couple of nights in.

Edited by huss9

Guest HTT II
13 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Without sounding arrogant, we must be one of the absolute first away fixtures fans look up when they are released. Can’t be many better away trips all in.

Nothing arrogant at all, I know fans of many clubs and they love coming here and I’ve had many up for a game when I used to have a ST just before Ashley. Some even become followers of the ‘Heed. 

4 minutes ago, huss9 said:

because its great for local economy in the short and in the long term. 

you want to be city everybody wants to come and spend a couple of nights in.

No problem with that but hospitality works both ways in my book.

Edited by Whitley mag

Isn't it mostly why we get that Yorkshire rugby thing every year? The whole original point of it was to have it in a different place each year where they don't naturally care about it (99.999999% of Britain) so they can spread their message but they've now settled on us because you can be straight out on the piss in any number of pubs within a square mile after the Bradford and Bingley game has finished. 

It's the cross we have to bear for being so mint and friendly, I suppose. 

39 minutes ago, number37 said:

Isn't it mostly why we get that Yorkshire rugby thing every year? The whole original point of it was to have it in a different place each year where they don't naturally care about it (99.999999% of Britain) so they can spread their message but they've now settled on us because you can be straight out on the piss in any number of pubs within a square mile after the Bradford and Bingley game has finished. 

It's the cross we have to bear for being so mint and friendly, I suppose. 

This is it, neutral venue that is perfect for visiting people to enjoy their time at the event, and after the fact.

Newcastle is a canny day out with enough eateries and boozers. Further afield you have decent coastline and countryside.