Garang Kuol

Johnny

1 hour ago, Chris_R said:

I don't think that in the middle of a World Cup campaign, the manager of the Australian national team gives 2 shits about our work permit issues.

And quite rightly.

I'd see it as being more about long term squad development, with a view to future tournaments. It's him that chose to take a 17 year old with barely any club appearances to a world cup after all, so I'd imagine he'd be on board with that idea. Unless he thought this was the year Australia was going to win the world cup?

On 09/12/2022 at 22:09, 80 said:

I'd see it as being more about long term squad development, with a view to future tournaments. It's him that chose to take a 17 year old with barely any club appearances to a world cup after all, so I'd imagine he'd be on board with that idea. Unless he thought this was the year Australia was going to win the world cup?

i think you need to understand that in a nation like Australia, the World Cup is the only way football makes it into the main stream media. It’s one opportunity every 4 years to make a statement, draw attention and hopefully funding into the sport. This can only happen by being successful and winning games at the World Cup. The sport is so poorly funded by both commercial partners and the government. All government money goes to AFL, Cricket and Rugby. Kuol was brought into the squad as an impact player to help create and score goals at the end of games. Not for experience or for helping him with his work permit. 

19 minutes ago, aussiemag said:

i think you need to understand that in a nation like Australia, the World Cup is the only way football makes it into the main stream media. It’s one opportunity every 4 years to make a statement, draw attention and hopefully funding into the sport. This can only happen by being successful and winning games at the World Cup. The sport is so poorly funded by both commercial partners and the government. All government money goes to AFL, Cricket and Rugby. Kuol was brought into the squad as an impact player to help create and score goals at the end of games. Not for experience or for helping him with his work permit. 

That's a valid argument. I was thinking more about building for the long term, but if it's a case of football needing immediate results to help fight for having a longer term future, that makes more sense to be fair.

In any case, a national team manager needs results in these kinds of tournaments, or they’d be out on their arse in weeks, so to hell with this kind of long term thinking. The fact ia he’s so raw his club’s manager had him even start a game. The talent is obviously there, but I think patience and realism is needed, same as in the case of Elliott in the summer (who would have been better off on loan to some Championship team).

23 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

In any case, a national team manager needs results in these kinds of tournaments, or they’d be out on their arse in weeks, so to hell with this kind of long term thinking. The fact ia he’s so raw his club’s manager had him even start a game. The talent is obviously there, but I think patience and realism is needed, same as in the case of Elliott in the summer (who would have been better off on loan to some Championship team).

I agree, Anderson needs to be loaned out in January. So does Kuol, I think Kuol had to anyway. 

2 hours ago, aussiemag said:

That's what I thought as an outsider. Soccer was a distant 4th as far as sports go from what I read and saw. AFL was fun to follow years ago. Think the Cats and Gary Ablett. Really enjoyed watching those guys. The Rugby fans called it Arial Ping Pong.

I'd love to see Kuol succeed and maybe give the sport a boost.

2 hours ago, McDog said:

That's what I thought as an outsider. Soccer was a distant 4th as far as sports go from what I read and saw. AFL was fun to follow years ago. Think the Cats and Gary Ablett. Really enjoyed watching those guys. The Rugby fans called it Arial Ping Pong.

Anyone else read this as 'Anal Ping Pong'? Just me? Figures...

8 hours ago, aussiemag said:

Yep, plus nothing as commercially attractive as a super socceroo breaking into the world scene. A  Bradman or Ablett, of this sport, would would do great things for the profile of the game and the interest triggered in young kids, who may be good at a range of sports. Here’s hoping Garang goes a step further/has an even better career than Tim Cahill. 

22 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Yep, plus nothing as commercially attractive as a super socceroo breaking into the world scene. A  Bradman or Ablett, of this sport, would would do great things for the profile of the game and the interest triggered in young kids, who may be good at a range of sports. Here’s hoping Garang goes a step further/has an even better career than Tim Cahill. 

i hope so! Would be great for NUFC and Australian football. He does seem like a really humble and grounded kid, so the signs are good. 

6 hours ago, McDog said:

Here in Sydney, it’s hard to imagine anything moving the dial much in terms of ‘footy’ (rugby league) being the only real game in town when it comes to what people talk about at work.  Even cricket seems to be followed on a similar level to England.  Rugby league is the closest thing you’ll get to what football is - and because it’s so culturally ingrained, it’s hard to imagine it changing.

If Kuol turns into a world-beater (fingers crossed) I don’t doubt the sport will pick up some followers, of course. 

6 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Here in Sydney, it’s hard to imagine anything moving the dial much in terms of ‘footy’ (rugby league) being the only real game in town when it comes to what people talk about at work.  Even cricket seems to be followed on a similar level to England.  Rugby league is the closest thing you’ll get to what football is - and because it’s so culturally ingrained, it’s hard to imagine it changing.

If Kuol turns into a world-beater (fingers crossed) I don’t doubt the sport will pick up some followers, of course. 

Where does Aussie Rules Football fit in? Seemed like people were either Rugby or AFL by and large.

I sued to see the fans of one or the other disparaging each other on forums years ago.

15 hours ago, aussiemag said:

Never knew the Feds and State governments financially support the AFL, live and learn

Freo Dockers season ticket holder

Collingwood member 

4 hours ago, McDog said:

Where does Aussie Rules Football fit in? Seemed like people were either Rugby or AFL by and large.

I sued to see the fans of one or the other disparaging each other on forums years ago.

AFL is the sport of Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia (Melbourne, Adelaide & Perth).  Rugby league is the big sport in NSW and Queensland (Sydney and Brisbane).

Cricket is reasonably popular everywhere (just like England), and rugby Union is pretty much posh boys only.   Football has a level of cultural awareness during the WC, and oddly enough some of the radio stations will read out the Premier League results (along with stuff like NFL).  The A-League struggles to even get that sort of traction

19 hours ago, McDog said:

Blew my mind when I came here and heard about Gary Ablett. That's what we used to call E's back in the day ?

2 minutes ago, Izakaya said:

Blew my mind when I came here and heard about Gary Ablett. That's what we used to call E's back in the day ?

That dude and the Cats were great. The Cats got killed but loved watching the Seekers play at the Grand Final.

edit: Gary had some issues after he retired I've read......:)

Edited by McDog

2 minutes ago, McDog said:

That dude and the Cats were great. The Cats got killed but loved watching the Seekers play at the Grand Final.

edit: Gary had some issues after he retired I've read......:)

Yeah looking back in think the E's were named after him ??

I do enjoy a GF day, good to see Cats demolish Swans this year. 

Still can't help going for Collingwood though with the obvious NUFC links.