Fulham 1-4 Newcastle United (01/10/2022)

Disco

What really impressed me.  Was how easily we managed to find space when they went down to ten.  I'm sure a lot of that was down to how crap they were and how they managed the situation.  But they didn't really offer anything on the counter or commit many forward.  So they usually had numbers sitting deep.  Yet we always had space in midfield or we would work it wide quickly enough to get Murphy, Almiron or Trippier in space.  

Even set pieces, we just kept our foot on the gas and were always looking to get the ball back in play quickly and create another opening.  It was pure domination for 65 minutes or so and should have scored a couple more, for sure.  Bruno and Wilson coming off was a blessing for them.  As they were both taking the piss. 

Great away end and probably the best I've been in bar 'Ryan Taylor over the wall' against the mackems.  My fears of it being one of those quiet southern/London away ends were well wide of the mark.  Some great classics got rolled out, even a couple that were before my time and I didn't know all the words.  Goals and the performance help, of course.  But it just never really relented and I was pleased to hear the chants carried so well watching the highlights back.  

On 03/10/2022 at 10:43, Kid Icarus said:

I got around to watching the full match yesterday, so I have to do player ratings, sorry. 

Pope: 6

Trippier 7

Schar: 7

Botman: 7.5

Burn: 7.5

Bruno: 7.5

Longstaff: 7.5

Willock: 9

Almiron: 10

Wilson: 8

Murphy: 7

Good marks, I had Almiron at 9.5 because he wasted a pass on 85 minutes. I kid, he was absolutely everywhere, fabulous performance. All the others are sound, would give Botman a 8.5, he makes Schar even better just by being on the pitch.

16 hours ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Good marks, I had Almiron at 9.5 because he wasted a pass on 85 minutes. I kid, he was absolutely everywhere, fabulous performance. All the others are sound, would give Botman a 8.5, he makes Schar even better just by being on the pitch.

Agreed.  Overall, I thought Botman was our best player after Almiron.  Before he went off, I also thought Bruno was the best player on the pitch.  But he did have the freedom of craven Cottage and the big fuck off park behind, as well.  Plus he only did an hour or so.  

On 03/10/2022 at 13:14, Hanshithispantz said:

Red cards are so shit like.

Would say the same about penalties. With football being such a low-scoring sport, these things seem a bit too decisive. 

I guess you could argue it's part of the tension, that the game is usually so finely balanced. But one small incident can easily decide a game. 

Aye especially for things like handballs on the byline, or tackles near the corner of the 18 yard box etc.

I'm not really against changing the rules of the sport (so I would probably just keep things as the are) but I do think that aspect of the game (punishing acts of 'unfair play') would make a lot more sense if the whole penalty and red card system was changed.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

On 02/10/2022 at 00:48, McDog said:

Who was the shit-for-brains here that thought it was low class dumb?

"Low class dumb" I assume you're a yank.

I said it was small time, which it is. How many of the other 19 teams in the league do it?

44 minutes ago, Beth said:

"Low class dumb" I assume you're a yank.

I said it was small time, which it is. How many of the other 19 teams in the league do it?

Yea, a yank. How many others? Who fucking cares really. Squad unity Beth, squad unity.