Other games (2024/25)

simonsays

33 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Leeds are going to be extra dangerous on Saturday like. Absolute must win for them now.

Think they’ll be as dangerous as a wet fart tbh. Allardyce is a joke.

26 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

As long as that Tyler Adams doesn’t play for Leeds we’ll be fine against their high press.

They don't press anymore. Allardyce will have them sitting deep, and I think that will really suit us as long as we stay patient and move the ball around well against the low block.

There's a reason why they've only won 7 all season and have the worst defence in the league. Allardyce isnt a miracle worker. They might beat us, get a rise somehow, but all logic suggests we're better than them and should win. 

1 minute ago, Jagten said:

Their model is probably crap, but how is it useless?

xG as a stat means fuck all. It’s the hip thing to throw around right now but when it comes to any sort of goal stat there is only one that matters. 

2 hours ago, LFEE said:

The owners backed him with new players. Possibly too many but that was partly due to them getting promoted unexpectedly and had a dozen players out of contract or on loan they had to replace alone as well as additions required.

When results were poor he stuck behind him and when pressure increased further he give him a new contract. Results again haven’t been brilliant but he has held his nerve and kept him in his role.

So guessing the whole statement ?

He fucked up getting 26 plus players or more, that's not gonna work and he only stuck with cooper because of fan pressure if they go down it's on him not cooper

5 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

xG as a stat means fuck all. It’s the hip thing to throw around right now but when it comes to any sort of goal stat there is only one that matters. 

For sure - much the same as shots, possession, etc. However if you view a result as a sample from the probability distribution of all possible results, to me it is not uninteresting to understand the properties of that distribution. Whether a given xG metric is a good approximation of that expectation is another question.   

57 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Had no idea cuba was actually Steve Bruce. :iamatwat:

1 hour ago, cubaricho said:

Isn't it just supposed to give some idea of the quality of chances created  and how well teams were able to take advantage of those chances?

Don't think it's supposed to be a predictor of results or anything like that.

8 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Isn't it just supposed to give some idea of the quality of chances created  and how well teams were able to take advantage of those chances?

I don’t really care enough to even think that deeply about it to be honest. It is what it is. I just know it gets thrown around here (and elsewhere) quite a bit and is almost exclusively a number that is far different than the most important stat: goals actually scored. :lol: 

9 minutes ago, KaKa said:

And it's what all fans do walking out after the match. We were lucky/unlucky there, we/they had X amount of great chances. Player Y has to score from that position etc 

It's useful as a long term indicator I think. I find it often backs up a feeling you have about a team or match when you watch them that you maybe can't explain.

eg we were still good and creating chances in that dry spell before the cup final so there wasn't much need to worry, or that Brentford aren't actually all that good and it probably won't last.

Remember our 4-1 home loss to Fulham that everyone says was a weird match we should have won? The xG for that would have backed that up.

Edited by Kid Icarus

24 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

I don’t really care enough to even think that deeply about it to be honest. It is what it is. I just know it gets thrown around here (and elsewhere) quite a bit and is almost exclusively a number that is far different than the most important stat: goals actually scored. :lol: 

Well I'll be darned ... you are Steve Bruce! ;)

46 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

What on earth happened in the PL yesterday.

“Look at me I’m in Japan and it’s tomorrow already” OooooOOooOoo

Spoiler

Safety :lol:

Edited by cubaricho

7 hours ago, Disco said:

Barclays 1-0 Nerds

Ex Mackem goalies at both ends destroying the xG model, which assumes "average striker" and "average keeper". Steele saving nothing and knocking one in himself. Pickford making some high class saves. On the Steele og, McNeil should just have smashed in himself. There's at least a yard open at the near post. It would have given him a hat trick.

I didn't see the Soton game but their keeper has been turboshit all season. Navas has been fine.