Other games (2024/25)

simonsays

Just now, r0cafella said:

@Froggy

Why didn’t Sir Jim buy the entire club btw? 

Probably because the Glazers weren't selling the whole club. Why would they when it's a canny cash cow for them? 

Brexit Jim takes the heat. 

Bonus for the Glazers is he's got connections to those in power, hence the new stadium crack. 

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

@Froggy

Why didn’t Sir Jim buy the entire club btw? 

Glazers didn't want to sell the whole club. They'd have taken the Qatar offer otherwise.

Don't think Ratcliffe could have afforded it either.

Just now, Froggy said:

Glazers didn't want to sell the whole club. They'd have taken the Qatar offer otherwise.

Don't think Ratcliffe could have afforded it either.

Ahhh fair enough, Glazers were happy to continuing milk whilst potentially enjoying any upside which maybe created. 

Do back when this all broke, the story of the club being for sale was bullshit? 

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Do back when this all broke, the story of the club being for sale was bullshit? 

No I think they would have sold but at a ludicrous asking price. £6b was their figure. Qatar offered £5b and refused to go higher. Bear in mind this is when the club had a market valuation is under £3b. :lol:

They basically priced everyone out of a full sale because they wanted to keep milking it. Ratcliffe was the better option for them.

6 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

what did you make of the game yesterday Frogman?

:lol: Do we have to? I would struggle to think of many performances that were worse.

Spurs aren't even good. That's the worst bit about it all. It's not like you've been blown away by a top class Liverpool or City. You've been hammered by a team that is distinctly average, and it would have been much, much worse if Son was playing instead of Werner.

Last few years the team just has it in them to completely collapse and perform like a league two side. 

Edited by Froggy

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

:lol: Do we have to? I would struggle to think of many performances that were worse.

Spurs aren't even good. That's the worst bit about it all. It's not like you've been blown away by a top class Liverpool or City. You've been hammered by a team that is distinctly average, and it would have been much, much worse if Son was playing instead of Werner.

Last few years the team just had it in them to completely collapse and perform like a league two side. 

Of course we have to :lol:  

Jokes aside, from what I saw it pretty rotten aye, was so bad I had to put on Goldbridge for half an hour this morning to compound it. 

Think you will get it right eventually (not with ETH) your resources are simply too vast not to. You will need a manager who can transform you though as well as time and money to get it done. 

He always finds a way to stay it seems :lol: Wouldn't be surprised if he gets an undeserved narrow win or boring draw against Porto, lose narrowly against Villa and get an undeserved narrow win against Brentford that will keep him in the seat into November. If he manages to tip toe for another few games he might actually get another transfer window to fix things, at which point it doesn't make sense to sack him until the end of the season.....but can they if he gets another trophy, like the league cup or the Europa League, even if they end up 8th in the league?

15 minutes ago, Conjo said:

He always finds a way to stay it seems :lol: Wouldn't be surprised if he gets an undeserved narrow win or boring draw against Porto, lose narrowly against Villa and get an undeserved narrow win against Brentford that will keep him in the seat into November. If he manages to tip toe for another few games he might actually get another transfer window to fix things, at which point it doesn't make sense to sack him until the end of the season.....but can they if he gets another trophy, like the league cup or the Europa League, even if they end up 8th in the league?

Nah. He had a very good first season. Second season was poor, but we had awful injuries and he still managed to win a cup so I think he fully deserved to stay in the job.

This season he has pretty much a full squad to choose from, and it's his team. The only starter missing is Shaw. Scary thing is that we have improved in every metric, but we've had two bad defeats against teams we should be able to compete with. It's a results game for him now, and the results aren't good enough. I wonder before the end will he realise that playing Rashford is his biggest mistake.

It’s never been pretty under ETH but in his first season they had a really good defensive shape and could shut games down pretty easily. He’s now added in a leaky midfield to the poor football that he’d already got down to a tee. There are few managers that have had the resources he’s had and produced such poor football 

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

Nah. He had a very good first season. Second season was poor, but we had awful injuries and he still managed to win a cup so I think he fully deserved to stay in the job.

This season he has pretty much a full squad to choose from, and it's his team. The only starter missing is Shaw. Scary thing is that we have improved in every metric, but we've had two bad defeats against teams we should be able to compete with. It's a results game for him now, and the results aren't good enough. I wonder before the end will he realise that playing Rashford is his biggest mistake.

I know you will know better than us mate, you will watch them obviously far more closely than most of us, but seeing as the only wins are against Southampton, Fulham and Barnsley so far, what are you seeing that we aren't ?

It just looks the same as its been. Too easy to play against, too many chances conceded, no real pattern of play etc.

And I'm baffled why he hasn't stuck with the box midfield which gave Man City such a hard time, I just don't know why he hasn't used it again, or maybe he has and it's just been a mess.

3 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

I know you will know better than us mate, you will watch them obviously far more closely than most of us, but seeing as the only wins are against Southampton, Fulham and Barnsley so far, what are you seeing that we aren't ?

It just looks the same as its been. Too easy to play against, too many chances conceded, no real pattern of play etc.

And I'm baffled why he hasn't stuck with the box midfield which gave Man City such a hard time, I just don't know why he hasn't used it again, or maybe he has and it's just been a mess.

I understand how my comment looks after such a shocking result, but there has been improvement. The issue is that in most metrics we were 15-20th in the league last season, so maybe the improvement still isn't enough.

image.thumb.png.8986eee26e81be2ba5b56dcfe96e1671.png

image.thumb.png.ff6e94cf3ec9d5dd6b40673411031f5a.png

If I ramble a bit here...

• We were better than City in the Community Shield. Very unlucky to lose but it gave me a lot of hope for the season ahead.
  • We battered Fulham, but only won 1-0 with a late goal. We should have destroyed them. First game though, nothing to worry about.
  • We were extremely unfortunate to lose at Brighton. Finishing issues again. Two goals ruled out for offside, one of them in bizarre circumstances which was very bad luck. But OK, Brighton are a good side. An unlucky away loss can be dealt with as long as we bounce back...
  • Start very well against Liverpool. A 50/50 game. Then the individual mistakes come from Casemiro and the game is gone. A horrid result, but easily put down to individual mistakes and we were arguably the better team until Casemiro threw the game away. Also it's Liverpool. They can do this to anyone, and we can bounce back from it.
  • Easy win against Southampton. Expected. Shouldn't get excited about it.
  • Easy win against Barnsley. Expected. As above. Rashford has 3 goals in 2 games. Good confidence booster. He should kick on from here...
  • Ten Hag inexplicably drops Rashford now. I'm not Rashfords biggest fan, but the game he decides not to start him is when his confidence will be at it's highest? We play extremely well against Palace. Some great football. On the back of the two results above, we were all thinking that the season has started now and we should kick on from here, but again we can't score. Confidence drops after 60 odd minutes, and Palace could have nicked it. Alarm bells a little bit from here.
  • Poor performance against Twente. Another individual mistake, this time from Eriksen. Simply not good enough.
  • Spurs game arguably the worst performance I've ever seen from us. Awful

So the positivity and performances are starting to wane. Ten Hag won't get the benefit of the doubt this season. We've seen progress this season, but it's still far too inconsistent.

I would say he needs to win both games this week to save his job.

1 hour ago, gbandit said:

It’s never been pretty under ETH but in his first season they had a really good defensive shape and could shut games down pretty easily. He’s now added in a leaky midfield to the poor football that he’d already got down to a tee. There are few managers that have had the resources he’s had and produced such poor football 

Also Rashfraud wanting his pay day, so decided to try for a season.

He’s downed tools again.

1 minute ago, RodneyCisse said:

Also Rashfraud wanting his pay day, so decided to try for a season.

He’s downed tools again.

Fucking hate Rashford like. He's absolutely shite. Honestly Antony is better.

1 minute ago, The Butcher said:

Is he out of contract next summer?

Be interesting to see where he ends up.

Saudi or America probably.

Rashford? We made him our second highest paid player on a contract until 2028.

11 minutes ago, Froggy said:

I understand how my comment looks after such a shocking result, but there has been improvement. The issue is that in most metrics we were 15-20th in the league last season, so maybe the improvement still isn't enough.

image.thumb.png.8986eee26e81be2ba5b56dcfe96e1671.png

image.thumb.png.ff6e94cf3ec9d5dd6b40673411031f5a.png

If I ramble a bit here...

• We were better than City in the Community Shield. Very unlucky to lose but it gave me a lot of hope for the season ahead.
  • We battered Fulham, but only won 1-0 with a late goal. We should have destroyed them. First game though, nothing to worry about.
  • We were extremely unfortunate to lose at Brighton. Finishing issues again. Two goals ruled out for offside, one of them in bizarre circumstances which was very bad luck. But OK, Brighton are a good side. An unlucky away loss can be dealt with as long as we bounce back...
  • Start very well against Liverpool. A 50/50 game. Then the individual mistakes come from Casemiro and the game is gone. A horrid result, but easily put down to individual mistakes and we were arguably the better team until Casemiro threw the game away. Also it's Liverpool. They can do this to anyone, and we can bounce back from it.
  • Easy win against Southampton. Expected. Shouldn't get excited about it.
  • Easy win against Barnsley. Expected. As above. Rashford has 3 goals in 2 games. Good confidence booster. He should kick on from here...
  • Ten Hag inexplicably drops Rashford now. I'm not Rashfords biggest fan, but the game he decides not to start him is when his confidence will be at it's highest? We play extremely well against Palace. Some great football. On the back of the two results above, we were all thinking that the season has started now and we should kick on from here, but again we can't score. Confidence drops after 60 odd minutes, and Palace could have nicked it. Alarm bells a little bit from here.
  • Poor performance against Twente. Another individual mistake, this time from Eriksen. Simply not good enough.
  • Spurs game arguably the worst performance I've ever seen from us. Awful

So the positivity and performances are starting to wane. Ten Hag won't get the benefit of the doubt this season. We've seen progress this season, but it's still far too inconsistent.

I would say he needs to win both games this week to save his job.

Thanks for the info, I enjoyed reading that mate, very informative.

And I can't argue with anything you've said, the only caveat you could possibly factor in, is maybe, this season is too smaller a sample size, but that would be a bit pedantic.