Other games (2024/25)

simonsays

I don’t even know what the offside laws are now. But that feels like the right decision. Not sure I agree with it, though? 

He’s standing on the keeper’s toes and nudging into him constantly. Then at the last second, he moves out the way?! Seems a bit wrong to me. 

Not quite at the old man down the social club levels of “if you’re not interfering with play. What are you doing on the pitch?” But I think there are too many grey areas and ways to interpret it. 

I’m sure it’s gotten worse for things like this, handballs, penalties etc since VAR. As they are subjective calls and not black and white. So there is just no consistency week to week and even more of a microscope on every decision. 

1 minute ago, vexred said:

Conflicted with that one. Silva doesn't impact his view of the ball coming from Stones' head, but he bumps him beforehand. 

You’re allowed to touch the keeper.

1 minute ago, Sima said:

“LOOK HOW MUCH OF A PERFECTIONIST I AM!! ATTENTION ME!”

Exactly what I was thinking, he's such a fucking cunt. "I'M A FUCKIN SCIENTIST OF FOOTBALL ME, LOOK AT ME, NEVER SATISFIED, ME, LIKE"

2 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I don’t even know what the offside laws are now. But that feels like the right decision. Not sure I agree with it, though? 

He’s standing on the keeper’s toes and nudging into him constantly. Then at the last second, he moves out the way?! Seems a bit wrong to me. 

Not quite at the old man down the social club levels of “if you’re not interfering with play. What are you doing on the pitch?” But I think there are too many grey areas and ways to interpret it. 

I’m sure it’s gotten worse for things like this, handballs, penalties etc since VAR. As they are subjective calls and not black and white. So there is just no consistency week to week and even more of a microscope on every decision. 

I am at that stage. It's all about creating controversy and talking points for the media and more goals and talking points etc. It's shite.

It was obstruction and offside.

Edited by Heron

3 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Would have been scandalous if that was disallowed. However, it reminds me of that Tiote screamer that was disallowed at SJP against... Man City.

I think the ref made the right call, but I just sat there thinking "are City really going to get a dodgy decision against them??" You almost never see that. Obviously it didn't happen this time either.

4 minutes ago, brummie said:

Offside for me - Silva even backs into the keeper whilst standing offside.

is he not onside because hes standing behind the ball?

Watching it back, Sa doesn't seem to consider that he might have been impeded. He just flops onto the ground, you'd assume he'd be straight in the refs face? I don't think a single Wolves player thought there was an infringement there.

He's onside until Stones plays the ball, at which point he's miles away from the keeper anyway, that's the point. When he nudged the keeper he wasn't offside as the ball was played from corner.

2 minutes ago, brummie said:

Exactly what I was thinking, he's such a fucking cunt. "I'M A FUCKIN SCIENTIST OF FOOTBALL ME, LOOK AT ME, NEVER SATISFIED, ME, LIKE"

Hilarious because his dummy would have been right out if that goal wasn’t given.

10 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

Silva was offside and backed into the keeper a second before the header..Should have been offside for me.

If he’s behind the ball when the corner is taken then he’s onside. 

(I think)

3 minutes ago, Fak said:

If he’s behind the ball when the corner is taken then he’s onside. 

(I think)

You cannot be offside direct from a corner as the ball is considered to be on the goal line and thus all players are behind the ball.

He becomes offside once the ball is headed.

Got no problem with VR asking the ref to have another look at it, seen on here that opinions are split as to whether to give it or not. The ref should have the chance to have another look at it as it's a huge, 2 point decision. Also good on the ref for not caving and just automatically sharing the opinion of VAR. He thought it was good and I'd agree with him. It's how the whole process should work imo 

Just now, Heron said:

You cannot be offside direct from a corner as the ball is considered to be on the goal line and thus all players are behind the ball.

He becomes offside once the ball is headed.

aye thought so. But by the time the ball is headed he’s well out of the way of the keeper. 

goal should stand imo. 

6 minutes ago, midds said:

Got no problem with VR asking the ref to have another look at it, seen on here that opinions are split as to whether to give it or not. The ref should have the chance to have another look at it as it's a huge, 2 point decision. Also good on the ref for not caving and just automatically sharing the opinion of VAR. He thought it was good and I'd agree with him. It's how the whole process should work imo 

Seeems like he did cave into the decision of VAR though. I was watching it live and thought maybe the ref had given offside, because the players were arguing so much with him before the VAR decision. Seems like it was the case.

Edited by Erikse

4 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Seeems like he did cave into the decision of VAR though. I was watching it live and thought maybe the ref had given offside, because the players were arguing so much with him before the VAR decision. Seems like it was the case.

Yeah. Just had 5 Live on and they said it was disallowed onfield. Then they advised the review as Silva was not interfering with play. So he was actually changing his and the linesman’s original decision and not sticking to his guns. 

5 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Aye, just read that too :thup:

I thought he'd given it and VAR asked him to look again, didn't realise it was the other way around

32 minutes ago, Heron said:

I am at that stage. It's all about creating controversy and talking points for the media and more goals and talking points etc. It's shite.

It was obstruction and offside.

It certainly was not offside. Maybe a foul on Sa, but even that would have been ridiculously cheap foul to give.

2 minutes ago, duo said:

Bernado defo impedes the keeper - stops him coming out - and was in an offside position. Hence goal shouldn't have been given - imo.

He cannot be in an offside position before ball hits Stones' head. And when it does he is 5 feet away and dodging.

Edited by KingArthur