Other games (2024/25)

simonsays

44 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

It’s going to take some time for us to leverage that type of thing regularly. 

Gravenberch is a little like Isak or Coutinho in that he was a wonder kid who had a big move that didn’t entirely pan out. Still young enough to become a top talent. Liverpool can spend €40m euros on him without massive pressure.  FFP makes that a big transfer for us and we would want to be more risk averse atm. But we need calculated gambles on undervalued assets. 

And of course the academy is leagues behind. Curtis Jones would be our best youth product in 30 years. He’s not even top 5 for Liverpool. Maybe not even top 10 yet.  

Agree with it all. Our neglected academy has been shocking for way too long

22 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Gravenberch is a little like Isak or Coutinho in that he was a wonder kid who had a big move that didn’t entirely pan out. Still young enough to become a top talent. Liverpool can spend €40m euros on him without massive pressure.  FFP makes that a big transfer for us and we would want to be more risk averse atm. But we need calculated gambles on undervalued assets. 

And of course the academy is leagues behind. Curtis Jones would be our best youth product in 30 years. He’s not even top 5 for Liverpool. Maybe not even top 10 yet.  

With each passing week our squad looks more and more inadequate, and our previous transfer business more and more questionable.

I'm sure there'll be more to come from Tonali, but that £60 million fee makes me increasingly uncomfortable. Not sure it will ever be justified.

There were a number of midfielders we were linked with previously that I think would have given us somewhat similar for significantly less in fee and wages, and allowed us to strengthen elsewhere.

Thuram joined Juve for £20 million, Fofana joined AC Milan for £20 million and Kone joined Roma for £15 million all this past summer in the last year of their deals. Even adding another £10 million to each of those if we go for them a year earlier and it is still a big difference.

I think we missed our chances to kick on with better use of the money we have spent and will now need a big sale of one of our key players or two for a bit of a rebuild.

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

With each passing week our squad looks more and more inadequate, and our previous transfer business more and more questionable.

I'm sure there'll be more to come from Tonali, but that £60 million fee makes me increasingly uncomfortable. Not sure it will ever be justified.

There were a number of midfielders we were linked with previously that I think would have given us somewhat similar for significantly less in fee and wages, and allowed us to strengthen elsewhere.

Thuram joined Juve for £20 million, Fofana joined AC Milan for £20 million and Kone joined Roma for £15 million all this past summer in the last year of their deals. Even adding another £10 million to each of those if we go for them a year earlier and it is still a big difference.

I think we missed our chances to kick on with better use of the money we have spent and will now need a big sale of one of our key players or two for a bit of a rebuild.

Tonali and Barnes in particular. Never going to increase in value.  

I think the demand for European football is a big cause of our issues. I like the look of Buonanotte, Minteh, Gravenberch style signings. But they might take 2-3 years to fruition.  Our transfer approach seems to prioritise the now which is why we spend massive fees on established players.  I’m happy to take a long term build view.  I don’t see the Tonali and Guehi model working. 

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Tonali and Barnes in particular. Never going to increase in value.  

I think the demand for European football is a big cause of our issues. I like the look of Buonanotte, Minteh, Gravenberch style signings. But they might take 2-3 years to fruition.  Our transfer approach seems to prioritise the now which is why we spend massive fees on established players.  I’m happy to take a long term build view.  I don’t see the Tonali and Guehi model working. 

Think there's a balance that can be struck.

The midfielders I mentioned are established enough at a decent level to make a difference without a massive outlay. They all went to top clubs and are playing.

A few of those types, some young talent like you say, and some promising Championship players with potential, and we would have been in much better shape I think.

5 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Not just the fee but Gravenberch's wages will be up there with our top earners. 

14 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Everyone's attacking against a low block is pretty horrible, that’s why there are low blocks. 

There are different ways still. Chelsea have spent like 500 million in their midfield, wingers and strikers, and still there was no movement, no combinations, no urgency. Just players standing still recycling the ball like in a handball game.

Totally different to Man City, for example, who forces opponent very close to their own box. Of course Liverpool is a lot better than Wolves, but still lack of movement was very evident yesterday,

5 hours ago, KingArthur said:

There are different ways still. Chelsea have spent like 500 million in their midfield, wingers and strikers, and still there was no movement, no combinations, no urgency. Just players standing still recycling the ball like in a handball game.

Totally different to Man City, for example, who forces opponent very close to their own box. Of course Liverpool is a lot better than Wolves, but still lack of movement was very evident yesterday,

Yeah, they’re kind of built to exploit a team like Brighton, and they did. Liverpool worked hard to shut down Palmer and Chelsea struggled as a consequence.

Yeah. Great run from Anderson. 

The ref in this game is the polar opposite from a lot of what I saw this weekend. Think he’s ignored 4-5 what looked like fouls or ones that refs usually buy. 

I’d much rather that than the opposite. 

1 minute ago, jonny1403 said:

That was absolutely class.

he’s got that balance that only top players have.

How far he goes is just going to be about finding the right team and position.

Feel whenever I watch Anderson at the City Ground he's class. :lol: The one time I was really impressed with him playing for us was the last minute Isak penalty game when he come on at HT. 

Just now, Smal said:

he’s got that balance that only top players have.

How far he goes is just going to be about finding the right team and position.

Looks like he's enjoying the freedom of that number 10 position.