Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

I’d agree that Drury is cringe thinks he’s a poet, but I’m not buying the hate here. Despite all that, even though I can’t exactly say why, for me his style is just really effective for huge games and perhaps even his more cringe moments help make games and moments more memorable. 

8 minutes ago, nemtizz said:

He's fluked that hasn't he

On the replay from behind Di Marco he doesn’t look at the keeper once. Just a quick look to see who’s making a run in the middle. 

looks like he meant it on first viewing but the more I see it the more I’m sceptical. 

9 minutes ago, nemtizz said:

He's fluked that hasn't he

On the replay from behind Di Marco he doesn’t look at the keeper once. Just a quick look to see who’s making a run in the middle. 

looks like he meant it on first viewing but the more I see it the more I’m sceptical. 

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

Yeah, there are some quality commentators about. The reason I listed those commentators is because they're all known for their use of language. Drury's obviously been around for years himself as well, I've always had this opinion on him. 

Fair enough. Just find the constant whinging about commentators on here tiresome. 

And to me - Drury is fun. I’m still laughing at ‘and Rodri clarted it’.  Only a fun loving man would say that on national TV. And a student of the English language. 

Edited by The College Dropout

I think the issue is to do with affectation, he’s clearly written a ton of this stuff in private then says it as if it’s off the cuff stuff, and it’s always incredibly over the top saccharine shite. The problem is that he’s making the moment more about him in my opinion. He might have convinced himself that he’s doing it for the viewers but there’s a big part that’s about himself 

5 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I think the issue is to do with affectation, he’s clearly written a ton of this stuff in private then says it as if it’s off the cuff stuff, and it’s always incredibly over the top saccharine shite. The problem is that he’s making the moment more about him in my opinion. He might have convinced himself that he’s doing it for the viewers but there’s a big part that’s about himself 

I appreciate the effort. Doesn’t always come off. It doesn’t detract for me. I came on here wanting to talk about a fantastic game of football to find people moaning about the commentator trying too hard at his job. 

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

I appreciate the effort. Doesn’t always come off. It doesn’t detract for me. I came on here wanting to talk about a fantastic game of football to find people moaning about the commentator trying too hard at his job. 

Fair enough, the game was class. One of those rare games where you wish it could have just kept going. The biggest talking point is Cole Palmer. How good is he going to be and is it the best bit of business Chelsea have done in years?

4 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Fair enough, the game was class. One of those rare games where you wish it could have just kept going. The biggest talking point is Cole Palmer. How good is he going to be and is it the best bit of business Chelsea have done in years?

I’m insanely jealous of that transfer. I know we are paying for Hall next summer but I feel like we FFP funded that transfer for Chelsea when we needed him. 

A part of it is down to Hall not being ready atm. While Palmer is the exact profile in my head that we need and that Eddie would love. He’s a baller. He’s athletic. He presses. Seems to have a great mentality. Imagine his linkup with Isak, Trippier and Livra. It should have been us. 

12 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I’m insanely jealous of that transfer. I know we are paying for Hall next summer but I feel like we FFP funded that transfer for Chelsea when we needed him. 

A part of it is down to Hall not being ready atm. While Palmer is the exact profile in my head that we need and that Eddie would love. He’s a baller. He’s athletic. He presses. Seems to have a great mentality. Imagine his linkup with Isak, Trippier and Livra. It should have been us. 

Did you get up to anything nice in Egypt? 

On the commentary discussion, always feel obliged to bang the Daniel Mann drum. Think he's class personally, massively underrated and gets nowhere near as many games as he should. Did loads of our games in the Championship under Benitez and the opening match this season against Villa.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Lots of sun and sand with my wife and baby. Only left the resort once - I hate that type of trip but I loved the quality time.  

Missed the Arsenal game but got to watch Dortmund and came back in time for yesterday’s shitshow.  

Can’t beat a bit of winter sun. I got back from the Canary Islands middle of October and came back fully recharged. I hope you did too. 

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Lots of sun and sand with my wife and baby. Only left the resort once - I hate that type of trip but I loved the quality time.  

Missed the Arsenal game but got to watch Dortmund and came back in time for yesterday’s shitshow.  

you saw both our losses and missed our win bro! 

glad you had a nice trip with the wife and baby mate. 

8 hours ago, gbandit said:

I actually think City getting £45m for an academy player is the best business this season, it’s not hard to look good when playing the likes of City, Arsenal, then losing at home to Brentford/Forest.Maybe Chelsea and Pocchettino are game raising cunts, who knows

10 hours ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

It seems weird that City let Palmer go, like. 

He approached Pep and said “I wanna leave and go to Chelsea, so City did a deal for £45m so think it’s worked out well for both clubs, especially City getting £45m for an academy player who needs to prove he can do it week in week out.

41 minutes ago, Maineblue said:

He approached Pep and said “I wanna leave and go to Chelsea, so City did a deal for £45m so think it’s worked out well for both clubs, especially City getting £45m for an academy player who needs to prove he can do it week in week out.

Agree that it’s worked out well for both clubs given that Man City’s recruitment is the best in the world. For most clubs, losing one of their best academy products would be a disaster but it’s clearly not for Man City, especially with FFP. In the long term though it’ll be very interesting to see how his career progresses, he looks an extremely talented player with the ability to play multiple positions, is creative, will score goals and has a great work ethic on the pitch

37 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Agree that it’s worked out well for both clubs given that Man City’s recruitment is the best in the world. For most clubs, losing one of their best academy products would be a disaster but it’s clearly not for Man City, especially with FFP. In the long term though it’ll be very interesting to see how his career progresses, he looks an extremely talented player with the ability to play multiple positions, is creative, will score goals and has a great work ethic on the pitch

Yes I agree City have done well in the academy sales department, selling over £400m worth of talent including Palmer in the last 7 yrs which will affect our FFP and what we can spend on the first team. 

I read somewhere that Newcastle are building a new training complex and are trying to emulate City, which is a smart move.

I don’t wanna go overboard with Palmer, Chelsea didn’t turn up against Forest, Brentford and Villa at SB, but turned up against City and Arsenal. No doubt they’ll turn up as well in a fortnight when they play you guys, I hope you stuff em.