Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, nemtizz said:

Recent Pichichi winners:

lASidCH.png

Now Sorloth :lol:

Huh? It's Dovbyk, right?

Edit: I thought Sørloth played for Real Sociedad still haha.

Edited by Erikse

"You're the world superpower of football". 1 title in 34 seasons, aye. He's been an excellent manager for them, but the hyperbole FFS.

1 minute ago, Erikse said:

Huh? It's Dovbyk, right?

It might have been before Sorloth scored 4 which got Militao hooked on 60th min for Nacho

What I'd give for Arne Slot to be an absolute pudding who signs loads of expensive crap from the Dutch league and sets those bin dipping deluded cunts back 10 years.

7 minutes ago, Pilko said:

What I'd give for Arne Slot to be an absolute pudding who signs loads of expensive crap from the Dutch league and sets those bin dipping deluded cunts back 10 years.

Yes please!

I used to not give a fuck about City winning everything. They were just a bit of a soulless entity to me, lacking the annoyance and arrogance of Liverpool, Man Utd and Arsenal. But I have to say its getting a bit uncomfortable watching this every year and knowing it shows absolutely no sign of stopping. Seeing old records that have stood for decades get broken by a club that has been built on spending absurd amounts of money and breaking countless rules to the point where they cannot be touched just doesn't sit well with me, and I genuinely believe it doesn't get talked about enough from neutral fans because everyone is generally happy to see Arsenal, Liverpool etc come second.

Seeing things happen to them like winning trebles, four in a row, probably a quadruple and an unbeaten season soon just totally diminishes what used to be genuinely brilliant achievements in England, and I know they still are far from easy things to accomplish but they're definitely watered down when City do it. 

Final day in France about to start on TNT. Nothing too major, but a few things still to sort out. TNT are showing the following 3 matches:

Lens vs Montpellier - Lens in 6th and in the driving seat for Conference League  (which will be Europa if PSG beat Lyon in the Cup next week)

Lyon vs Strasbourg - Lyon need to better Lens result to finish 6th and get Conference football, although they have a second chance of Europe in the cup final

Lillie vs Nice - Lille in 3rd and looking to guarantee Champions League, and avoid having to qualify for it if they finish 4th.

Didn't realise France now have 4 places in the CL. They pretty much get the same European places as England now.

25 minutes ago, MagSA said:

It might have been before Sorloth scored 4 which got Militao hooked on 60th min for Nacho

Yeah my bad. Incredible. And some people here still excuse the manager of our national team saying that we don't have good enough player material, and it's just Haaland and Odegaard by themselves.[emoji38]

55 minutes ago, MagSA said:

watching Villarreal v Real Madrid

It's 4-4

Villarreal striker Sorloth scores all 4 and is leading scorer in LaLiga

insane

Not really - just another Dougie scouting pick. 

15 minutes ago, Decky said:

I used to not give a fuck about City winning everything. They were just a bit of a soulless entity to me, lacking the annoyance and arrogance of Liverpool, Man Utd and Arsenal. But I have to say its getting a bit uncomfortable watching this every year and knowing it shows absolutely no sign of stopping. Seeing old records that have stood for decades get broken by a club that has been built on spending absurd amounts of money and breaking countless rules to the point where they cannot be touched just doesn't sit well with me, and I genuinely believe it doesn't get talked about enough from neutral fans because everyone is generally happy to see Arsenal, Liverpool etc come second.

Seeing things happen to them like winning trebles, four in a row, probably a quadruple and an unbeaten season soon just totally diminishes what used to be genuinely brilliant achievements in England, and I know they still are far from easy things to accomplish but they're definitely watered down when City do it. 

Completely agree.  Four in a row was an impassable barrier - most football anoraks could name those clubs who’d managed three (Huddersfield, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd) - but Man City have just broken another one with little fanfare.  Their treble last year just seemed a bit flat to me - a procession instead of a triumph.

I get that people think it’s funny that the same old clubs can’t get past them, but I do think that there is a joylessness to it all. 

So, in La Liga, there is literally nothing to play for going into the final gameweek of the season, all relegation spots are confirmed, the title is sewn up, as is the Champions League places. Hell even the individual Europa and Conference Leagues can't be changed.

Not sure ive seen that in a top flight league before.

34 minutes ago, Decky said:

For me, they just don't really count. Like, fair play and all but no one classes them as the best ever because there are so many stains on that record. 

It will be the same for us if we ever make it, though.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Jimburst said:

For me, they just don't really count. Like, fair play and all but no one classes them as the best ever because there are so many stains on that record. 

It will and it won’t as long as we don’t start messing about and end up with over a hundred charges at some stage.

Previously the club didn’t spend anything and was grossly neglected, now we’re growing the club while staying within the rules and are only doing what we are allowed to do, what everyone else can do. A large part of our success so far is we’ve bought well and recruited a good manager, anyone can do that but City have blatantly cheated and are paying top lawyers to bury it all.

Edited by Decky

39 minutes ago, Decky said:

Man u won 13 titles in 20 year or summit. Very close to 4 in a row on a couple of occasions as well. I found that boring as fuck seeing fergie abusing and intimidating refs every week.

There are clubs that have spent more than City in the last 6 or 7 years as well.

Guardiola doesn't get half the credit he deserves

12 minutes ago, jack j said:

Man u won 13 titles in 20 year or summit. Very close to 4 in a row on a couple of occasions as well. I found that boring as fuck seeing fergie abusing and intimidating refs every week.

There are clubs that have spent more than City in the last 6 or 7 years as well.

It’s nothing really to do with Pep for me. He’s got a squad of players and is doing a great job with them. But Man City as a football club wouldn’t have Pep, those players and such domination of English football if it wasn’t for the years of cheating that made them the entity they are today. 

16 minutes ago, jack j said:

Yeah built them up from obscurity.

1 hour ago, Decky said:

I see where you’re coming from but my challenge is whether it’s better to have Man Utd and Liverpool winning everything based on their massive revenues and Asian fan bases in India, China, Japan, Korea,  etc etc (what generates their commercial advantage is in practice)

Im not having a pop as it’s genuinely something that will very fan by fan, but for me I’m not sure what a ‘traditional’ club like Man Utd with its official tyre sponsor is a more honest winner than Man City - both win as they have

more

money than the everyone else

Metz had a 3 point and +7 GD advantage over Lorient on the final day in the race to avoid the 2nd outright relegation spot in Ligue 1, but they play PSG and Lorient have the bottom side Clermont. Metz currently 0-2 down, Lorient 3-0 up, so there needs to be 2 more goals (in either match). Always a chance they could go down considering the respective remaining fixtures, but you'd have liked to think a 7 goal swing would have been fairly safe.

57 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Completely agree.  Four in a row was an impassable barrier - most football anoraks could name those clubs who’d managed three (Huddersfield, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd) - but Man City have just broken another one with little fanfare.  Their treble last year just seemed a bit flat to me - a procession instead of a triumph.

I get that people think it’s funny that the same old clubs can’t get past them, but I do think that there is a joylessness to it all. 

This is the system the ‘Red’ teams built for their own self aggrandisement. City turned the tables on them and are maximising their advantages. Now it’s ’not fair’. They could allow teams like us and Villa to actually compete by allowing our owners to spend but that would further endanger their little club.

44 minutes ago, Jimburst said:

Yeah, agree with you. There's something unreal/manufactured/superficial about City that means I can't muster any emotion about anything they do. They're just this entity.

I suppose I do find it a bit depressing, if anything. Specifically the thought of a club and fanbase so desensitised to winning that tension and drama is seldom experienced, with no meaningful fanfare as titles just inevitably rack up. 

The red teams know that if the shackles were off, you remove financial restrictions, then it’s over for them, and we plough the earth with their remains behind us. As it is, they’ll cling on with the last broken fingernail attached to their greasy hands. 

If I can't have any fun, I don’t want anyone else to have fun, so City winning the league is perfect as no one really gives a fuck. Be even better if they get done and their titles and records stripped, because you would have to be an absolute freak and a weirdo as an Arsenal/Liverpool/Man Utd fan celebrating titles given to you years after it happened. 

1 hour ago, Decky said:

The way Klopp & Arteta behave, such as Arteta's disingenuous speech (and the clubs subsequent statement) after our defeat, actually undermines the game imo and seeing either of those lift the title this year would have been bad for game, just in a different way imo. Their lack of class, humility & maturity is actually off the scale and for Arsenal to be putting out that statement talking about an investigation (or something along those lines) was a disgrace and didn't get the backlash it deserved, because throwing the toys out the pram with the mentality of a 10 year old is creeping in to be the norm. It prevents progress of the games around refereeing quality, encourages further over-analysis with refs second guessing everything and the authorities getting tied up in trying to respond to and resolve the disingenuous hysteria. 

I do agree with what you've said about Man City in general though. It is why I would hate for us to spend/grow the club like they did before FFP; it's soulless and genuine sporting achievement is replaced by the luck of being taken over by the person who has the most money. Obviously that's over simplifying but you get the gist. I know everyone hates FFP and granted it supports the big 6 but there has to be some kind of regulation in place. Having said that, I do think when Pep leaves it will effect them and there's a decent chance they will drop off some levels and maybe not be this runaway train.

43 minutes ago, Paullow said:

Metz had a 3 point and +7 GD advantage over Lorient on the final day in the race to avoid the 2nd outright relegation spot in Ligue 1, but they play PSG and Lorient have the bottom side Clermont. Metz currently 0-2 down, Lorient 3-0 up, so there needs to be 2 more goals (in either match). Always a chance they could go down considering the respective remaining fixtures, but you'd have liked to think a 7 goal swing would have been fairly safe.

Lorient made it 5-0 at 90+1, wow.