Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

5 minutes ago, Paullow said:

There's obviously other means to watch football these days (which I don't personally bother with), and just stick to terrestrial, Sky, TNT, Amazone etc. but the Spanish match being on Viaplay doesn't help. I did get it over the summer, was a right faff on trying to cancel, ended up keeping it for another month which I didn't want. Cancelled it at the bank after that, before eventually finding a way via a lengthy phone call with someone at Sky, so vowed never to purchase Viaplay again [emoji38].

That women's match is at 5.30pm. It's good in a way that women's football is more widely available - you go on to live-footballontv.com and around half the matches these days are women's, and a lot of them are free on the likes of FA Player, but despite all the success and feel good factor of the Lionesses, I just can't imagine the average person who would automatically tune into any Super Sunday match at 4.30pm, be like, can't wait for this Birmingham vs London Lionesses match later on. I'd imagine the lack of 4.30pm game would be due to a combo of the Ryder Cup final day, and to try and get as many additional eyes on the WSL with it being the first day of the season, but there's no doubt the average football fan on Sky will be thinking they are getting a far worse service today, and the ratings will reflect this, so hopefully it's not too common going forward and the heavy WSL promotion is mainly kept to men's international breaks.

100% agree, if the main 4.30pm game on a Sunday is WSL game then Sky will lose a lot of viewers, an early Saturday or Sunday slot would be better.

I wonder if NFL being in London has an impact as well? Can imagine there being quite a crossover with fans who may have otherwise watched some (proper) football on TV so they don't want to waste anything good today. 

4 minutes ago, wormy said:

I wonder if NFL being in London has an impact as well? Can imagine there being quite a crossover with fans who may have otherwise watched some (proper) football on TV so they don't want to waste anything good today. 

Aye, possibly, especially with it being live on ITV1 as well. Probably makes sense for Sky to save some of their better stuff.

4 hours ago, Displayname said:

It may look straight from that angle, but from others you can clearly see that it wasnt. And that isnt what I would call raised foot. You can get lots of still images with a leg going in like that during a week of games.

You also have to question why VAR didnt show the other angles during the replay. It looks way worse from the angle they showed the ref. From behind and the other side you see that the leg wasnt straight and how his foot changed angle after rolling over the ball. But VAR didnt show these, only replayed the other 2 angles 3 times each. Why not give the ref all the information for such an important decision?

Pay attention to the motion of his leg. During the entire motion he is in the process of straightening his leg out, which ultimately ends up happening, and looks like it would've happened regardless of the ball. I don't think a different angle would change much of that fact.. You can clearly see from this angle whether his leg is straight or not. I don't even think that the rules makes exceptions for when someones foot "rolls off the ball" in the first place, so it might just be a red regardless of the balls role in this.

Edited by Erikse

Leicester a goal up against Bburn after 3 mins, fake Colo with the goal.

I don't think Preston getting thumped was a shock yesterday, they won pretty much every match, possibly all of them by a single goal, and will more than likely sift back down to midtable in the coming months. Not sure Ipswich will last the pace either, it will be very impressive if they do, so hopefully Leicester can keep pushing on and comfortably take one of the two automatic slots, and less leeway for those down the road [emoji38]

1-1 now. Two goals inside 8 mins.

Looking at Villas fixture list I can already imagine the pundits discussing whether Villa is in the title race or not in about a month from now. They could very well win the next 4-5 games, and then be hyped up by the media.

2 hours ago, Paullow said:

There's obviously other means to watch football these days (which I don't personally bother with), and just stick to terrestrial, Sky, TNT, Amazone etc. but the Spanish match being on Viaplay doesn't help. I did get it over the summer, was a right faff on trying to cancel, ended up keeping it for another month which I didn't want. Cancelled it at the bank after that, before eventually finding a way via a lengthy phone call with someone at Sky, so vowed never to purchase Viaplay again [emoji38].

That women's match is at 5.30pm. It's good in a way that women's football is more widely available - you go on to live-footballontv.com and around half the matches these days are women's, and a lot of them are free on the likes of FA Player, but despite all the success and feel good factor of the Lionesses, I just can't imagine the average person who would automatically tune into any Super Sunday match at 4.30pm, be like, can't wait for this Birmingham vs London Lionesses match later on. I'd imagine the lack of 4.30pm game would be due to a combo of the Ryder Cup final day, and to try and get as many additional eyes on the WSL with it being the first day of the season, but there's no doubt the average football fan on Sky will be thinking they are getting a far worse service today, and the ratings will reflect this, so hopefully it's not too common going forward and the heavy WSL promotion is mainly kept to men's international breaks.

Pretty bad example you've used, as  both those teams are in the championship, and the bottom end of it too! Can't imagine many people would be excited if the 4:30pm spot was QPR v Rotherham on the mens side either!!

I think it's probably a combination of it being the opening week of the WSL, and the Ryder Cup as you've said, but don't worry, us women will get back to the rubbish kick of times which are really inconvient soon!

I'm joking by the way......sort of!

1 hour ago, Erikse said:

Pay attention to the motion of his leg. During the entire motion he is in the process of straightening his leg out, which ultimately ends up happening, and looks like it would've happened regardless of the ball. I don't think a different angle would change much of that fact.. You can clearly see from this angle whether his leg is straight or not. I don't even think that the rules makes exceptions for when someones foot "rolls off the ball" in the first place, so it might just be a red regardless of the balls role in this.

Have you seen a replay of it from the other angle? Clearly wasnt a straight leg, even after his foot rolled of the ball. Huge difference between the leg being straight and the leg being almost straight.

53 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Looking at Villas fixture list I can already imagine the pundits discussing whether Villa is in the title race or not in about a month from now. They could very well win the next 4-5 games, and then be hyped up by the media.

I guess that's one good thing about Newcastle being far away from most in this country and both regional rivals currently not being in the same league. They do look a good run of fixtures, and annoyingly they have already played us, Liverpool, and Chelsea away and still doing well, but away to Wolves and Forest could be trickier than they sound, especially the former, mainly due to geographical reasons. Wolves did take 4 points off them last season, both under Emery, and those games will obviously mean more to the crowd. 

Wouldn't be a huge surprise though if they did win most of them as you say. If they did win 9 or 10 of their first 12 games then it would be pretty impressive. 

Not the most glamourous PL game, but at least there's no obvious favourite which always adds a bit more intrigue. I didn't know who the bookies would favour here and have just seen it's 13/8 (Forest) vs 15/8 at Bet365, so very close.

5 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Brentford looking really poor again so far.

Seems like we rattled them, they really expected to beat us with our injuries and schedule and were incredulous by the end of the game when we were keeping it in the corner. Also Rico Henry being out for the season doesn’t help.