Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

26 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

97/98 is the only season since the PL breakaway where all three promoted clubs went down.  But none of those sides were close to being as bad as this lot - Bolton and Barnsley were decent (Barnsley played good football, too), and even Palace weren’t completely shite and had some good players. 

Actually surprised there. Was convinced derby and reading were shit that year ha

54 minutes ago, Caleb70 said:

Update on Luton's website about Tom Lockyer (sorry if its already been posted):

We are able to provide a further, positive update on Tom Lockyer’s condition.

Our medical staff have confirmed that the Hatters captain suffered cardiac arrest on the pitch, but was responsive by the time he was taken off on the stretcher.

He received further treatment inside the stadium, for which we once again thank the medical teams from both sides.

Tom was transferred to hospital, where we can reassure supporters that he is stable and currently undergoing further tests with his family at his bedside.

We would like to thank everyone for their support, concern and loving messages for Locks.

We all hope and pray for our leader and captain Tom Lockyer, who is thankfully responsive and has been taken to hospital.

We don’t know the full extent of what happened and what the next steps are at this stage, but we thank Bournemouth and the medical staff on both sides for their immediate response, which was absolutely amazing.

We are sorry to all supporters present that players from both sides were in no state of mind to continue with the game after seeing their much-loved team-mate and friend taken off like that, and staff could not carry on with managing the game in such circumstances having had to deal with the situation.

We thank everyone for the wonderful applause and singing of Locks’ name inside the stadium at such a difficult time.

Now is the time for all of our players, staff and supporters to come together as we always do and give our love and support to Tom and his family.

Our thoughts are with him and them all.

I feel this could very much be a "back in my day" take, but I honestly don't remember players collapsing on the pitch until Marc-Vivien Foe? I could be totally wrong but this seems to be happening more often and I'm curious what the reason behind it is.

3 minutes ago, woody said:

I feel this could very much be a "back in my day" take, but I honestly don't remember players collapsing on the pitch until Marc-Vivien Foe? I could be totally wrong but this seems to be happening more often and I'm curious what the reason behind it is.

Copious amounts of performance enhancing drugs...or covid obviously.

3 minutes ago, GEFAFWISP said:

Copious amounts of performance enhancing drugs...or covid obviously.

I kind of assumed it was the drugs/supplements they were taking now but it seems to happen more than other sports where that would ostensibly happen as well.

8 minutes ago, woody said:

Vaccines and 5g.

0_Matt-Le-Tissier-on-Freedom-of-Speech-Who-Controls-The-World.thumb.jpg.a07d38268af9cd467bd44afe3e9c4666.jpg

15 minutes ago, woody said:

The fitness requirements for the sport these last couple of decades have increased hugely - the strain put on the body must be incredible (even for super-fit athletes)

5 hours ago, gbandit said:

Burnley have been a major let down. Expected them to be a lot better than what they’ve shown so far this season 

Loads of their better players last season were on loan which probably hasn’t helped as they didn’t just buy them in and bought loads of lads nee one has heard of.

6 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The fitness requirements for the sport these last couple of decades have increased hugely - the strain put on the body must be incredible (even for super-fit athletes)

This is what I've always assumed it to be. Players are being pushed to the limit of their capabilities compared to previous generations which will trigger health issues that may have otherwise stayed under the surface. 

I wondered if it's increased news reporting too where instances may have gone under the radar in previous years. This Wikipedia entry lists what at first glance seems to be a fairly consistent history of players passing away due to heart conditions over the decades: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_association_football_players_who_died_during_their_careers

On a side note it was surprising to see the number of times struck by lightning has occurred. 

Edited by wormy

2 hours ago, gbandit said:

Howay Brentford tomorrow. Also, it pains me but I hope Liverpool rinse Man U

Liverpool can go 6 points clear of City with a win tomorrow I think Man U are in for a very tough day especially if Liverpool score early 

58 minutes ago, Ben said:

Liverpool can go 6 points clear of City with a win tomorrow I think Man U are in for a very tough day especially if Liverpool score early 

Man U always seem to get a result a little unexpectedly in games against those in the title race.. think it was Arsenal last year they beat 3-1? 

5 hours ago, ryanegg said:

Man U always seem to get a result a little unexpectedly in games against those in the title race.. think it was Arsenal last year they beat 3-1? 

This is true, however Man Utds predicted team is awful their best player is suspended and it looks like Jonny Evans is going to have to cope with Liverpools front 3 

Looking at Villas fixtures until gameweek 30 I can actually see them being top 3 still and not far off of 1st place.. They have an easier european tournament and they have kept this form ever since Emery walked throught the door more than a year ago. This is like us last year when people said that our form was just short term, and we were going to drop off. What they didn't realise was that we had already kept the top 4 form for an entire year when we reached january.

Edited by Erikse

2 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Looking at Villas fixtures until gameweek 30 I can actually see them being top 3 still and not far off of 1st place.. They have an easier european tournament and they have kept this form ever since Emery walked throught the door more than a year ago. This is like us last year when people said that our form was just short term, and we were going to drop off. What they didn't realise was that we had already kept the top 4 form for an entire year when we approached january.

Depends on if Villas squad doesn't get torn apart by injuries. Apparently that can impact a clubs form! 😅

3 minutes ago, Joe1984 said:

Depends on if Villas squad doesn't get torn apart by injuries. Apparently that can impact a clubs form! 😅

True, but they have a decent squad depth. They wont get a crisis to the extent as the one we did, especially when they are not going to play Milan, PSG and Dortmund midweek. Wouldn't surprise me if they went on to do some more signings in january.

3 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Looking at that Arsenal team and it's basically their first choice XI. What I'd give to be able to have us have even close to that luxury.

Last season they didn't have many injuries apart from Jesus and Saliba. Jesus keeps getting injured, but other than that they don't seem to struggle with injuries. Saka is kind of like Salah, he picked up some small injuries this season but usually they can allways rely on him, and he doesn't even seem to get tired.

Edited by Erikse