Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

7 minutes ago, Decky said:

Villa down to 5th now. Totally shitting the bed. Breaking into the top four isn't for everyone. ;) 

If we could get top 6 I would love our teams in Europe to fuck up so they missed out on the CL. 

35 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Chelsea are such a strange team [emoji38]

Their defence is just a bit shit, and Jackson is nowhere near as good as he should be. It’s crazy that Cole Palmer is having such an unbelievable season and they’re getting all the penalties, and yet they’re still struggling to stay in the top half.

You could argue that we’re all kinda where we should be, only Man U and Chelsea should swap places.

5 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Their defence is just a bit shit, and Jackson is nowhere near as good as he should be. It’s crazy that Cole Palmer is having such an unbelievable season and they’re getting all the penalties, and yet they’re still struggling to stay in the top half.

You could argue that we’re all kinda where we should be, only Man U and Chelsea should swap places.

Funnily enough, despite already feeling like where we are is a huge achievement in the circumstances, if you're a believer in xG and the related xPts, we 'should be' 5th.

A good indication that we're still doing the right things, but that our injuries, fatigue, lack of quality back up is making us fall short in front of goal (despite still also scoring loads)

In the same table I think Chelsea are 3rd, Man United 11th, so you're about right there.

On 04/04/2024 at 22:22, Amir_9 said:

I must be the only one who thinks that's a good result for us. Chelsea do not have the level of consistency to sustain a run of form, no chance. Neither do we, nor Man United. It will be very tight.

Told ya so

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Funnily enough, despite already feeling like where we are is a huge achievement in the circumstances, if you're a believer in xG and the related xPts, we 'should be' 5th.

A good indication that we're still doing the right things, but that our injuries, fatigue, lack of quality back up is making us fall short in front of goal (despite still also scoring loads)

In the same table I think Chelsea are 3rd, Man United 11th, so you're about right there.

I think Chelsea were fourth, slightly above you. Our xG went to shit in those few games when everyone was injured but has come right back around now. There were a few of us around 49 in that table before the weekend.

xG’s a useful tool in conjunction with other stats/analysis, but yours is a bit skewed by the Sheffield Utd game :lol:. The top three are miles away from everyone in every respect. I definitely think you’re doing the right things overall and the bigger issue is just that it’s a perfect storm for you. Your style puts players under physical strain and once there are a couple of injuries it becomes a spiral. It will be better next year and you just need to strengthen wisely. 

We can hope for (and I think expect) Liverpool to drop a little next year. I’m not confident that Man U will get much better, and I hope Chelsea will continue to struggle and Poch gets booted. Next year will be fascinating. I think some (a small minority) of your fans are overdoing the criticism of Howe and the fact that he’ll be in his, what, third (?) year with you is a big advantage. Not sure that’s the case for ten Hag though :lol:

Just now, nemtizz said:

That Robinson challenge on Palmer is a red all day long.

Var is only there to make marginal decisions and just ignore the blatant ones.

9 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

I think Chelsea were fourth, slightly above you. Our xG went to shit in those few games when everyone was injured but has come right back around now. There were a few of us around 49 in that table before the weekend.

xG’s a useful tool in conjunction with other stats/analysis, but yours is a bit skewed by the Sheffield Utd game :lol:. The top three are miles away from everyone in every respect. I definitely think you’re doing the right things overall and the bigger issue is just that it’s a perfect storm for you. Your style puts players under physical strain and once there are a couple of injuries it becomes a spiral. It will be better next year and you just need to strengthen wisely. 

We can hope for (and I think expect) Liverpool to drop a little next year. I’m not confident that Man U will get much better, and I hope Chelsea will continue to struggle and Poch gets booted. Next year will be fascinating. I think some (a small minority) of your fans are overdoing the criticism of Howe and the fact that he’ll be in his, what, third (?) year with you is a big advantage. Not sure that’s the case for ten Hag though :lol:

I did realize something, us only getting one penalty all season isn’t helping our xG :lol:

3 minutes ago, pubteam said:

Var is only there to make marginal decisions and just ignore the blatant ones.

Thank god they can spend 3 minutes checking if someone's shoulder is offside.

12 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

:thup:

Only thing to disagree with is that xPts is on a game-by-game basis, so no skewing with the Sheff United match. 3 xPts and 3 pts achieved and that's the end of it.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

:thup:

Only thing to disagree with is that xPts is on a game-by-game basis, so no skewing with the Sheff United match. 3 xPts and 3 pts achieved and that's the end of it.

Yeah was just considering xG there. 

How do they assign xPts? Like, by how much do you have to win the xG in a game to get 3xPts instead of 1? I kinda feel like the bigger picture has some significant margins, so like the top three are grouped together then there’s a whole load of us in a group where the variance doesn’t really matter. Then the key factor ends up being how good your keeper or CF are. Like, our keeper is shit hot at saving shots and our CF is historically good vs xG, so we’re always going to outperform it. I suspect Chelsea’s CF is historically bad at xG and you’ve had a backup keeper for months so that gives an immediate underperformance.

Literally everyone in a stadium: that is a very good goal, no need to check it again, everything was fine. Only absolute weirdos would check that. 

VAR - OMG did you see that Howard Webb? Too right I did Mike Dean! Super VAR powers activated! Zoom in 1,000,000%, reduce playback speed x500. Make sure to keep replaying the same incident over and over and over, stopping and starting it to remove all context and to really let that illusory truth effect kick in.

Literally everyone telling VAR to look at a player punching another player in the stomach

VAR: want another scone Webby? Don’t mind if I do. Lovely day for it. Oh shit I think i’ve left the gas on Deano! I’ll be back in a min. Ok I’m back Deano, just a little explosion, check complete. Good process Webby. 

Edited by Joelinton7