Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

Desperate for Leverkusen to pull off this undefeated season. 

Be sad to not do it after getting this late into the season.

Would be an outrageous achievement.

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Also just seen that Kaiserslautern are Bayer's opponents in the German Cup Final. Eh? :lol: They're literally in the relegation battle in the second tier. 

They beat 3rd tier Saarbrucken in the semi who had themselves skittled Bayern, Gladbach and Frankfurt.

Edited by ponsaelius

Posted (edited)

Leverkusen beat Benficas record from the 1960s today. Most games without a loss in any tournament in the top European leagues since the second world war.

215dae2d-cc7c-4781-bb1d-845ab8ddb30f.thumb.jpg.86bab9c21e5258b2414a07f8303c9f70.jpg

Edited by Erikse

1 hour ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Villa getting utterly trounced is oddly amusing, they're truly staggering over the line. They'll get 4th but not sure they'll win another game the rate they're going

Down to 11 fit senior players. Two players on the bench I'd genuinely never heard of. Bailey and Torres both strapped up and playing through injuries for weeks. Cash playing in midfield tonight because there is nobody else. Zaniolo is on the bench but not fit, we lost Rogers and Tielemans for the rest of the season in the last couple of weeks.

Absolutely knackered after 55 or so games.

We'll finish fourth but yeah, absolutely staggering over the line. 

What a fucking season though, over 100 goals in all competitions, won more premier league games than at any point in the last 30 plus years, took 6 points off Arsenal and 3 off Man City.

18 months ago we were fucking dead, and dying slowly and agonisingly. If you'd told me then we'd be in a European semi final now, I'd think you were joking (or assumed it was some sort of shitty pre-season round robin tournament).

2 minutes ago, brummie said:

Down to 11 fit senior players. Two players on the bench I'd genuinely never heard of. Bailey and Torres both strapped up and playing through injuries for weeks. Cash playing in midfield tonight because there is nobody else. Zaniolo is on the bench but not fit, we lost Rogers and Tielemans for the rest of the season in the last couple of weeks.

What a fucking season though, over 100 goals in all competitions, won more premier league games than at any point in the last 30 plus years, took 6 points off Arsenal and 3 off Man City.

18 months ago we were fucking dead, and dying slowly and agonisingly. If you'd told me then we'd be in a European semi final now, I'd think you were joking (or assumed it was some sort of shitty pre-season round robin tournament).

Brilliant season for you mate and a well-deserved top 4 finish. But if you're this paggered, next season will be brutal. I'm sure lessons will be learned from your season, our season and others' and it will be interesting to see how you cope.

2 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Brilliant season for you mate and a well-deserved top 4 finish. But if you're this paggered, next season will be brutal. I'm sure lessons will be learned from your season, our season and others' and it will be interesting to see how you cope.

Yeah, it will, but on the flip side, we've done without Jacob Ramsey, Mings, and Buendia for the entire season pretty much (and Mings is way more than just a player for us, he's a leader, Ramsey has been massive for us, and Emery loves Buendia), getting those back, then also getting Boubacar Kamara back, that alone is a significant boost. Fuck Zaniolo off back to Turkey, shed Lenglet, and even with that clearing of the decks alone, we're better.

We needed a stronger squad, but we've been injury fucked too, and unlucky with 3 ACLs in a season.

To Emery's credit I have genuinely never heard him complain about injuries, either. Or referees, for that matter, he just cracks on with it and does what he can.

Yeah, it will, but on the flip side, we've done without Jacob Ramsey, Mings, and Buendia for the entire season pretty much (and Mings is way more than just a player for us, he's a leader, Ramsey has been massive for us, and Emery loves Buendia), getting those back, then also getting Boubacar Kamara back, that alone is a significant boost. Fuck Zaniolo off back to Turkey, shed Lenglet, and even with that clearing of the decks alone, we're better.

We needed a stronger squad, but we've been injury fucked too, and unlucky with 3 ACLs in a season.

To Emery's credit I have genuinely never heard him complain about injuries, either. Or referees, for that matter, he just cracks on with it and does what he can.

All fair points, the Mings injury week 1 was a nasty one and forgot all about Buendia too.

5 minutes ago, brummie said:

Much like our games in Europe this year, we were playing teams, ultimately, who have been playing European football for fucking years.  The experience gained - for both Villa and us this year - will be invaluable, but these sort of sides who in Europe every year just have that knowledge and experience to win.

Problem with CL is that you have to play your best team every game so no-one is getting a rest unless you have a squad like Man City or Arsenal do where they essentially have two first teams.

1 minute ago, toon25 said:

Much like our games in Europe this year, we were playing teams, ultimately, who have been playing European football for fucking years.  The experience gained - for both Villa and us this year - will be invaluable, but these sort of sides who in Europe every year just have that knowledge and experience to win.

I also think, we have a manager with an insanely good record in European competitions, but one who is doing it with players who don't have that, and some of them have been pushed to the limit of their abilities.

I bet, for example, he didn't want to be playing Matty Cash in midfield tonight. I bet he's also realised that some of them aren't even going to be good enough.

Like you said, though, it is also a mindset. In the same way winning in general is. So you get Chelsea and the like having supposedly below par seasons and still going deep into cup competitions. It is a mentality thing - for the players AND the fans, too.

2 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Problem with CL is that you have to play your best team every game so no-one is getting a rest unless you have a squad like Man City or Arsenal do where they essentially have two first teams.

Yeah but then again, the flip side is, nobody is going to be downhearted at qualifying for it.

I was jealous as fuck reading your match threads in the CL this year. Plus, even qualifying for it is a move towards making a big six a big eight. 

I know you struggled partly for the reason you mentioned, but it's worth noting, you were also extremely unlucky to get drawn into that horrendous group. 

Yeah but then again, the flip side is, nobody is going to be downhearted at qualifying for it.

I was jealous as fuck reading your match threads in the CL this year. Plus, even qualifying for it is a move towards making a big six a big eight. 

I know you struggled partly for the reason you mentioned, but it's worth noting, you were also extremely unlucky to get drawn into that horrendous group. 

Oh don't get me wrong. I loved the CL nights, the games, destroying PSG at home. I'd never say its a bad thing. Just there is no rest because every team is so good.

29 minutes ago, brummie said:

Why wasn't Moreno or Chambers on the bench?