Other other games (2023/24) - Use Euros forum for Euros games

simonsays

13 minutes ago, KDT said:

Sorry like but until we actually start winning things regularly a league cup win should be on the same level as a league title for us.

I think everyone's aware that any trophy for us would be mint. :thup:

5 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Nope 

European Cup

Premier League

UEFA Cup

FA Cup

Conference League

League Cup

The traditionalist in me wants to place the FA Cup much higher, but it’s been damaged badly over previous decades. 

I’m astonished by the numbers on here who’d take a PL win over the European Cup.  I would swap five league titles for one European Cup

I can understand City picking CL over the League, maybe even some other clubs 

Obviously we'd take anything at this moment but in this hypothetical scenario the PL easily over the CL for me 

Across 38 games there is very little doubt you are the best team but when it comes to the CL the best team doesn't always win, Chelsea weren't even the best team in England when they won it 

1 hour ago, STM said:

Premier League = Champions League 

Europa=FA

League Cup = Conference League

In my mind.

Winning the CL without winning the PL with the same squad seems weird and devalues it somehow... just in my mind of course. [emoji38]However winning the PL multiple times and not winning the CL with a certain squad had its own mini asterix.

It's all personal preference TBH. Would shag me dead granny for a League Cup.

I don't necessarily disagree with this, there isn't generally much between them but if you had to separate them in a list I was interested to see what people would go with 

11 hours ago, toon25 said:

I caveat this by saying I'm a late-30s, bitter, cunt who drinks a pint if cynicism for breakfast, but genuinely dont want any other club from this country other than my own to do well [emoji38]

I've not liked West Ham for a while now tbh, might have started with finding out Martin Samuels was a fan, then being led by Allardyce didn't help. For me it's not about the club, often it's the type of football they play. Never been a fan of David Moyes teams, and the one positive I take out of this is that he'll still be in charge of them next season as a result of winning this.

13 hours ago, Kimbo said:

You need to beat top clubs to win the league cup, surely it has more bragging rights.

European cups have much more prestige to me, and PL teams largely treat league cups like they don’t matter 

34 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

European cups have much more prestige to me, and PL teams largely treat league cups like they don’t matter 

But the conference has zero prestige to big clubs.

If the conference league is really a prestigious major trophy then really West Ham have had a better season than us. I wouldn’t swap a top 4 place for conference league personally.

Just now, Kimbo said:

If the conference league is really a prestigious major trophy then really West Ham have had a better season than us. I wouldn’t swap a top 4 place for conference league personally.

Roma not a big club? I’d class them as one personally. Big teams usually send out reserves in the league cup. Trophies >>> everything. Winning is a habit. 

17 hours ago, Sempiternal said:

Roma not a big club? I’d class them as one personally. Big teams usually send out reserves in the league cup. Trophies >>> everything. Winning is a habit. 

Roma are big, though not at their peak these days. This year it’s been won by West Ham, a club that has never finished in the top 2 in domestic football in its entire history.

How would you feel if a 4th tier European competition was created? Or a 5th? At what tier would they stop being a major prestigious trophies? In theory we could get the whole league playing some form of European competition.

Edited by Kimbo

5 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

You mean it has zero prestige to a dozen or so clubs (of all the millions of clubs in Europe) whose target - realistically or otherwise - is to reach the latter stages of the Champions League. 

Like I was saying last night, defining the Conference League by how it compares with a far more prestigious competition is such a grim way to view it, imo. Not everything is about the tedium of the Champions League's annual rinse and repeat.

A competition should be defined by its own competitors.

I swear most of the derision is subconsciously borne out of that fucking awful name which is deliberately pitched to sound subservient to UEFA's cash cow tournies. 

not sure I'd be classing the Conference league as a "major" European trophy, like the commentary team were relentlessly banging on about last night. but it's still a trophy at the end of the day, probably on par or slightly beneath the League Cup.

nice to see them celebrating the win tbh. a refreshing change from the same old teams not giving a fuck when they win something!

8 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

You would swap seasons with West Ham?

Loaded question imo, because the clubs are in two different states, but the top 4 thing is just a modern creation, classing it as trophy. West ham certainly wouldn’t swap their season for ours.  

What happens if you aim for top 4, bomb out of every comp, Chelsea, spurs, arsenal to a degree did this. Now spurs have no Europe, no trophies. I’m glad we finished in the CL, but on first consideration I’d take finishing in the top 10 and winning either the league cup or the conf 100 percent. No one cares that we finished in the top 4 in the 90s, but I do care we haven’t won a trophy for donkeys years 

PS if we're saying that UEFA's third competition isn't a major trophy then we are genuinely downgrading our own historic achievements. The Fairs Cup's one city rule probably meant that competition had even fewer 'big' teams in it than today's Vana-euro-rama, even in the context of 1969. Ujpest Doza certainly hadn't pulled up any trees in Europe by the time they faced us, and never achieved anything notable thereafter.  

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

PS if we're saying that UEFA's third competition isn't a major trophy then we are genuinely downgrading our own historic achievements. The Fairs Cup's one city rule probably meant that competition had even fewer 'big' teams in it than today's Vana-euro-rama, even in the context of 1969. Ujpest Doza certainly hadn't pulled up any trees in Europe by the time they faced us, and never achieved anything notable thereafter.  

They did get to the European Cup semis in 1974 tbf.

Just now, ponsaelius said:

They did get to the European Cup semis in 1974 tbf.

Fair enough, didn't spot that - what they did after 1969 is probably less relevant (to my point) than what they did before. The point I'm making is that a third competition isn't unusual and, if anything, today's is arguably comprised of more 'big' clubs (however you want to define that) than the iterations of yesteryear were.