Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

53 minutes ago, Cronky said:

A fatal flaw, if so.

I had started to wonder about that. He's a bit chunky for a keeper.

@brummie's post is actually spot on like. The weirdest diving style ever. The signing made perfect sense at the time financially and stylistically for what Ten Hag wants to do, but he's turned out to be bog standard at best. He's not fit to lace De Gea' s boots. 

44 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I think they need to look at the handball law

The referees are there to apply the law so can't blame them but those penalties, especially the one Man-U got are ridiculous

Maguire knew just as little about it as the Copenhagen defender. They were both ridiculous, as was the one given against Eriksen when we played Bayern. 

Once again, this was the worst decision of the night. It's a straight red, but not even a yellow given. The same player was already on a yellow and he ended up scoring the equaliser. 

Where was VAR for this? Not even a check despite Hojlund being on the deck and receiving treatment. 

8 hours ago, Disco said:

Galatasaray are not a reliable team IMO. Gala’s game v FCK has inconvenient draw written all over it too. 

The hope is Bayern throw the game against FCK but realistically it’s not happening. 

For LOLs it’s 2nd or 4th though. 

I think FCK will beat Gala at home. I watched the game in Turkey where FCK were 2-0 up and should have had a few goals more before receiving a stupid red card and conceding two late goals to make it 2-2.

17 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Once again, this was the worst decision of the night. It's a straight red, but not even a yellow given. The same player was already on a yellow and he ended up scoring the equaliser. 

Where was VAR for this? Not even a check despite Hojlund being on the deck and receiving treatment. 

Wasn't Vavro that scored the equaliser. It was Lerager. But I agree that Vavro should've been off for that challenge on his former teammate.

12 minutes ago, mosstef said:

Wasn't Vavro that scored the equaliser. It was Lerager. But I agree that Vavro should've been off for that challenge on his former teammate.

They look identical on the tele. :lol:

But aye. If VAR did it's job we don't lose that game and very likely win it quite comfortably. 

We will beat Galatasaray. 

With the handballs, I acutally think Maguire's was a penalty, don't think the second one was but that one's even tighter. First of all the rules:

With accidental handball it's only penalised if:

1. you score a goal straight off your arm [irrelevant here]

2. you score yourself immediately after it touches your arm [irrelevant here - Note you can pass to a team mate to score after it hits your arm eg. Gordon to Longstaff]

3. It hits your hand/arm while it was making your body unnaturally bigger.

"A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised."

Whether there was an advantage gained or distance to the ball etc. is irrelevant.

Basically if your arm was up because of natural movement then fine, no foul. If it was up because you were being a dumb motherfucker then penalty.

So it hits Varane's arm but that's down by his side. Definitely no penalty. Then it goes across to Maguire. Look at what he's doing. He has both arms up out in front of him because his instinct is to get his arms round the striker. He didn't need to have his arms up, it wasn't natural body movement causing that so I think that's on him IMO and a penalty is correct.

Again comes down to subjectively whether you think his arm position was natural for his movement. For me I would say it wasn't. Only zombies move with both their arms reachin out in front of them naturally.

You may fall the other side of that, that's fair enough, but I don't think it was a bad decision. One of those that could perhaps go either way, in which case you can't blame the ref for choosing one of those ways.

The Copenhagen one is same reasons. I think this one was a bit harsher because the defender's turning and then jumping so I think it's natural for his arm to come up in that situation. Possibly given because ref thought he kept his arm up too long, though trying to replicate the movement I don't think he did I think he's counter-balancing. As usual, looks worse in slow motion.

Again though, just comes down to whether subjectively you think the position of his arm was justified by the movement he was making at that point.

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

Maguire knew just as little about it as the Copenhagen defender. They were both ridiculous, as was the one given against Eriksen when we played Bayern. 

The reason the one you conceded was less ridiculous is because Maguire is facing the ball with his arm out, looks more like he's ready to grab the player which is not natural and he's taking a risk

It's not intentional and it's a scramble so he hasn't really denied an opportunity at that stage which is why I don't like it and the law should be amended 

EDIT: Checko gave a for more comprehensive and detailed explanation

Edited by Geordie Ahmed

7 hours ago, Cronky said:

The way it's worked out Man U could still easily get through - their chances are far better than ours. They seemed to be writing them off last night. They're only a point behind second place, and they have two games left. They could easily get something from Gala, who I don't think are the greatest, and then they're at home to Bayern, who are already through and who won't field a full strength side. 

Just FYI, Man U are priced around 2/1 to qualify and we are 9/4 so basically nothing in it according to the bookies.

10 hours ago, Froggy said:

Onana can't dive mind which is a fairly big flaw for a goalkeeper. 

How do you guys nearly allways end up with these type of signings? Huge price, and then they look useless.